When to book our next cruise?

Are there generally any "perks" when you book your next cruise while on-board another? We sail in April (our third on RCCL) and would like to book on the Anthem for next spring. Should I book now, or wait until we sail in a few months?

Thanks!!

I believe your deposit is lower, I think 100.00 a cabin and also you automatically get 100 obc. Plus it you later transfer that booking to a TA you may get what they offer which is usually more obc, etc. Also, it depends if you want a certain cabin on the Anthem, then it may be gone by the time you sail on your next cruise. If you don't care, I'd wait.

If you wait, you run the risk of the price going up on the cruise. It is a gamble. Personally, I would wait since it's only a couple weeks til you sail. You will only have to pay $100. pp down, and will receive OBC ($100. for 6-9 night cruise booked)

Also, while on your cruise, you may want to get a Next Cruise option. This will give you an open booking, that you can have on hand, cost is $100. for 1 person. Then, when you decide you want to cruise, you can just turn your next cruise open booking into an actual booking when you choose your ship and sail date, and pay $100. more deposit for the 2nd person you add to your reservation.

I was in your shoes!!!!! so I'll tell you what happened to me.

After a long research, we decided we wanted to book the Explorer since August 2013, with a sailing date for November 2014.

We decided we'd wait until our Enchantment cruise (mid October 2013) to take advantage of onboard perks ( OBC, low deposit, etc). So we waited. Middle September I saw the Explorer price climbed $40 more per person :eek:. We kept waiting.

Our Enchantment cruise arrived. As soon as we headed to the "next cruise dept"... they were closed. They opened at 5pm, we booked the Explorer of the seas at 5:30pm, what a relief. We check prices next day, and it was another $50 higher per person.

So, conclusion, if you see your cruise price climb steadily, and cabins diapering, I'd go ahead and book it. If, the price is pretty stable, then I'll wait til April, which is really a month away. Good luck and happy sailings

If you are considering Anthem, and you see a cabin you want at a price you are ok with, book it. You can always "re-book" on your cruise. Then you can get the $100 OBC. But last Feb. I booked Legend for this Feb. I called a friend and she decided to wait a few weeks until we were on Allure. The price was up over $300 per person by the time we went on Allure, so they didn't go. We just got off the cruise. One of the best ever. They missed out to get a $100 OBC. I think Anthem will go the same way. We booked Quantum as soon as we could, and the price began climbing and climbing. Then all the cabins were sold out. I'd book it, then talk to the Next Cruise people on board and if the price is the same or lower, re-book through them.

Since I don't use a TA (I prefer to have complete control over my booking), I book future cruises while on-board. I have been keeping 2 on the books so when the actual cruise opens that I want, I call and transfer the booking. Not only do I get to keep my OBC, if I book the cruise I want the same day it opens up, I get the best price. For example, I booked my upcoming 16 night Trans-Atlantic the day it opened. Within a week, the price had doubled and kept going up and up. Crazy!

Since I don't use a TA (I prefer to have complete control over my booking), I book future cruises while on-board. I have been keeping 2 on the books so when the actual cruise opens that I want, I call and transfer the booking. Not only do I get to keep my OBC, if I book the cruise I want the same day it opens up, I get the best price. For example, I booked my upcoming 16 night Trans-Atlantic the day it opened. Within a week, the price had doubled and kept going up and up. Crazy!

Crazy, but incorrect unfortunately. We do the same except we use a TA (which still gives us complete control over our booking because he is available even when RCL is not + additional OBC to what the cruise line is offering), the future cruises are assigned to him so that he can book quickly when we find a cruise we want to book AND by waiting until after payment we get the lowest possible price.

Sure, you see the price double, but have you ever followed the price after final payment when you are no longer entitled to price matching? You will be amazed. Everything that goes up must come down (especially when it comes to filling cabins prior to sailing.)

Edited by fredmdcruisers
typo

My experience with the open booking - My TA booked us on LOS out of Barcelona I gave her our open booking # and since they honored the 3/4 person free say I can't get my $100 OBC as it's a previously booked cruise even though there are no dates. I also used an OBC on an April cruise out of SJU and since I didn't call the correct phone # to book was quite a hassle to get credit on that one! So now I have 2 remaining open booking reservations I'm not sure when I'll be able to use if I can't use them with promotions that may be going on! So I'm now wondering if it's even worth purchasing!

My experience with the open booking - My TA booked us on LOS out of Barcelona I gave her our open booking # and since they honored the 3/4 person free say I can't get my $100 OBC as it's a previously booked cruise even though there are no dates. I also used an OBC on an April cruise out of SJU and since I didn't call the correct phone # to book was quite a hassle to get credit on that one! So now I have 2 remaining open booking reservations I'm not sure when I'll be able to use if I can't use them with promotions that may be going on! So I'm now wondering if it's even worth purchasing!

They are valid forever!

I was told by RC I it would last till Nov 2015 then I have to remember to call and have them extend the date again. But the problem is I can't ever use it if I book during a promotion.

It's true that the promotions generally don't allow you to combine the OBC from the Next Cruise certificate. However, the certificate does not expire.

If we plan on a cruise, I will book as soon as the dates open and get a much reduced price then if we waited. Even if the price drops some it never falls to the level when they first opened the booking. In the case of our upcoming Hawaii, there was a residence drop for AZ, Calif & TX and we ended up saving $1250.

The best time to book a cruise is when the cruise price is where you want it, not knowing if it will drop or not. It makes no difference if it's a year out or a month out. I don't want to start an arguement but, I've been cruising a long time, with over thirty cruises under my belt, and I have never saved anyway near $1250 on a cruise after I booked it, the most is probably $200. I check almost daily after booking so the chances of something like that sneaking by me is slim.

First, have an idea where you want to cruise, then if you have the opportunity buy a Next Cruise (or whatever they call it) then, book the cruise you want using the next cruise booking the day it is released by RCL.

We did this for our TA in April this year and got opening offers and the OBC from the Next Cruise booking and saved over $800 each on the price for a JS that was available just two weeks after the cruise was released.

To do this you have to be signed with Crown and Anchor for email offers, also with C&A, watch Crusie Critic daily for information and as many websites that you can find with information on when RCL release their offers. Sadly Crusie Critic will not allow me to say which ones to follow, sorry.

Hi Anita, wish I had read your post before I posted mine! yours is much clearer and sounds like we both had the same experience - looking forward to seeing you next month.

We are cruising in June and thinking to check while on board to see if there are any empty cabins on next cruise out on same ship . Anyone ever done this? Price wise would get good deal?

The price would be no different than if you were booking from home. However, you would be able to get an on board credit for booking on board.