Drink Packages

VacationCrazee

I know I must be missing something re: pre-paid drink packages. . . .

A voucher book for 15 drinks is $72. The all you can drink package is $44 a day which comes to $308 for a 7 night cruise.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to purchase two voucher books at $72 each for a total of $144 which allow you 30 drinks on a 7 night cruise or four voucher books which allows for 60 drinks. That is a lot of drinking in 7 days and is still only $288. :confused:

I know I am missing something here. . . .

Help anyone. . . . I am a newbie with this whole drink package concept. I have not cruised in a few years and when I last took a cruise (Carnival) there were no widely available drink packages.

Thanks in advance. :o

The Premium Allegrissimo Package not only includes all you can drink, it's much more than that which I feel makes it well worth the price. $399 per person for 7 days on The MSC Divina.

It includes Alcohol, all alcohol, including Johnny Walker Blue at $22.00 a shot, which there is no drink coupon for. If you want say a Grey Goose, then you have to use at least two tickets for a super premium cocktail.

It includes all non alcoholic drinks, bottle water, soda, cappuccino, espresso, fresh squeezed orange juice in the spa, all spa beverages, specialty tea.

It includes all beverages from your mini bar in your stateroom.

It waives the late night room service charge.

It includes all Gelato.

It includes all Italian Pastries.

There are no coupon books for some of these as well as on certain cocktails, they require more than one coupon to purchase a drink. For us, it makes sense to enjoy everything we want, plus, because we pre booked the Premium Package, we saved an additional 15 percent than if we purchase it on board.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMWP_e95OTzJ5xnSkJ1IOGWGNAJYmLFRovUwircxgSsJXI3XCs4A

Wave your Pinky at NEG-A-TIV-A-TY!

Most of what is included in the premium package, I do not partake. I am comparing the basic package to the vouchers. The premium would be totally wasted on me. I only drink vodka. I like Absolut, Keitel One, Belvedere. If Absolut is included in the basic package and the voucher package then those two packages are what I am comparing.

I am constantly watching my weight so I don't drink juices, beer, wine, shakes, sugary sodas or eat an abundance of cakes, ice cream or pastries. For what I will drink/eat of those items, it will be cheaper for me to just out and out purchase that occasional (once or twice during cruise) pastry or ice cream dessert. My package or voucher will be used almost exclusively for alcoholic beverages at night (don't drink during the day mostly, water or iced tea at dinner/lunch is fine for me). Hence, I will down not more than 4 maybe maybe 5 drinks a day and perhaps a bottle of diet coke (1 only) per day. I am not sure an all inclusive drink package is the way to go with my narrow desires.

Is there any reason why 1 person can't purchase more than one book of vouchers per cruise?

Also, I am doing b2b cruises. Will my vouchers from Week 1 be good on my Week 2 cruise?

I am trying to figure out the best way to give me (a) the most bang for my buck and (b) some degree of flexibility within my limited wants and desires. Makes no sense for me to purchase more than I will partake.

Since you are doing a back to back, a combination of vouchers and purchasing duty free liquor, from your first week would be the most economical way to go IMO

Thanks, to be honest, that is what I am thinking also. I think if the vouchers are good one week to the next, perhaps 2, maybe 3 voucher books and a bottle or 3 of duty free. (actually 1 bottle and 2 voucher books should be sufficient). ;)

I'm having same dilema as OP, trying to figure out my best option, for our specific needs. I don't understand how the duty free bottle comes in the equation? When you do a b2b, can you bring alcool onboard??

I'm having same dilema as OP, trying to figure out my best option, for our specific needs. I don't understand how the duty free bottle comes in the equation? When you do a b2b, can you bring alcool onboard??

If you stay on for consecutive cruises ,you can either have someone on the first cruise buy a bottle(s) for you or you can buy it yourself on the last full day from the duty free shop on board and carry it out.

From what I have read so far, I believe that it is either allowed or it is "looked the other way" when passengers purchase liquor from ports and bring it onboard with them. With that being said, at one of my first stops, I will pick up a bottle of my brand of vodka and keep it in my room. Since I generally only drink during the evening nightlife, I will make myself a cocktail to start the evening off on a good foot and then use the vouchers for anything else I amy want to drink onboard.

While the $44 per day all inclusive is a pretty good deal, I have to do some real self-honesty and figure out how much will I really use it. I think I usually have 4 or 5 (5 and I am pretty blitz) cocktails when out partying/gambling/nightlife-ing). Maybe 1 soda with dinner. That is about it to be honest. I don't go in for the foo-foo drinks by the pool during the day and will eat very little of the pastries so. . . I think voucher may be my best, most $$-wise path.

From what I have read so far, I believe that it is either allowed or it is "looked the other way" when passengers purchase liquor from ports and bring it onboard with them. With that being said, at one of my first stops, I will pick up a bottle of my brand of vodka and keep it in my room. Since I generally only drink during the evening nightlife, I will make myself a cocktail to start the evening off on a good foot and then use the vouchers for anything else I amy want to drink onboard.

While the $44 per day all inclusive is a pretty good deal, I have to do some real self-honesty and figure out how much will I really use it. I think I usually have 4 or 5 (5 and I am pretty blitz) cocktails when out partying/gambling/nightlife-ing). Maybe 1 soda with dinner. That is about it to be honest. I don't go in for the foo-foo drinks by the pool during the day and will eat very little of the pastries so. . . I think voucher may be my best, most $$-wise path.

Worst that can happen is they keep your bottle of vodka until the end of your cruise.... I know back then (2006....) we handed our bottle of rhum we bought in Puerto Rico but they said nothing about the single serving size bottles we had received as a gift from the store where we bought the rhum.... But understand that my backpack was full of little bottles!!!! It was a "scoop as much as you can" kind of promotion. There was no rule against using your t-shirt to scoop!!!! Lol!

I am sure the policy has harden since 2006... :D. The good old times.... :p

When are you cruising?

If you don't drink alcohol you're caught in this netherland of value. You could never drink enough sparkling water and lattes to consume $400 worth in a week. But they refuse to let you purchase the kids beverage package (the only way to buy limitless soft drink, there is no other option but vouchers).

So you're not gonna get what you pay for, and you're never going to pay just for what you get.

So we're forced to eat the cost rather than have to screw with debit cards every time we want a friggin' coffee.

If you are purchasing the all inclusive drink packages yes.

If you are purchasing drink coupons, you can order a single book through MSC directly, if you order on line then all cabin members have to order the coupon book as well.

Not entirely correct for Divina. One is allowed to purchase coupon books, regardless of what the others in the cabin are doing. Only the all inclusive drink packages need be purchased by all, including children, as was confirmed to me yesterday by MSC over the phone.

I am going to send an email to MSC. I am not cruising until late September so I have plenty of time for them to get around to answering me.

I want to get the facts directly from MSC on

(a) can I purchase more than one booklet of vouchers

(b) can I purchase all my vouchers at one time and just continue to use them throughout my b2b cruises

© when purchasing alcoholic drinks what is the difference in the value of the 12 voucher package and the 15 voucher package since both voucher packages are the same price

(d) if I purchase duty free liquor from the ship or in port during the first week, what happens to it when I have to leave the ship and come right back on for my second week

(e) Most important of all, what brands of vodka will I get for my vouchers and will my cocktails of choice (vodka and club soda) require more than one voucher.

OK, anyone with answers, just jump in and I appreciate your knowledge.

No matter whether I chose vouchers or all inclusive packages, it will be cheaper than purchasing cocktails singularly every night.

;)

Not entirely correct for Divina. One is allowed to purchase coupon books, regardless of what the others in the cabin are doing. Only the all inclusive drink packages need be purchased by all, including children, as was confirmed to me yesterday by MSC over the phone.

That policy has now been changed. Sailing on May 10th, tried to book my 15 coupon booklet online, automatically added 2 booklets. Contacted MSC who informed me that the policy has changed and all members have to order the coupon book when ordering ONLINE. If you only wanted to order 1 booklet, you need to either call in, or facebook them and it is added on to you folio.

Even though the PDF attachment states $72 per package, once you go online it changes to 'per person' .

Quote from MSC

Yes, the Allegrissimo Escape package is per person. We've gone ahead and added one package to your reservation, all you need to do is call to pay for it before your cruise. The number is 866-545-8088.

What?! :eek:

Customer service doesn't have anything to do with package structuring. What on earth do you mean?

I mean that they are very disorganized. Different reps will give you different answers. After waiting on hold for an eternity, the rep told me I could order one Allegrissmo Escape package online. When I went to do that, the website would not allow only one package, but only one Allegrissmo Escape(per person) for each adult. However, I was able to order single American Soda and Beer packages. Go figure...

That policy has now been changed. Sailing on May 10th, tried to book my 15 coupon booklet online, automatically added 2 booklets. Contacted MSC who informed me that the policy has changed and all members have to order the coupon book when ordering ONLINE. If you only wanted to order 1 booklet, you need to either call in, or facebook them and it is added on to you folio.

Even though the PDF attachment states $72 per package, once you go online it changes to 'per person' .

Quote from MSC

Yes, the Allegrissimo Escape package is per person. We've gone ahead and added one package to your reservation, all you need to do is call to pay for it before your cruise. The number is 866-545-8088.

Maybe you can help clear something up for me. (I tried to call MCS but I could not hold on any longer.) What is included or excluded in the vouchers? I am trying to figure this out and purchase more than one if possile

Maybe you can help clear something up for me. (I tried to call MCS but I could not hold on any longer.) What is included or excluded in the vouchers? I am trying to figure this out and purchase more than one if possile

If you mean Divina's Allegrissmo Escape voucher package, 15/$72, they are good for non premium drinks (the bar menu items with an asterisk are premium). There is a post with all the bar menu photos on this site. The American beer package, 14/$52, is good for all $5 beers, not just american. The dinner wine vouchers will get you bottled wine in the MDR from two different qualities, depending on the price of the package.

Facebook them to reserve a drink package? I am looking forward to my cruise and am not one to really sweat the small stuff, but this earned a major eye-roll from me. Does not seem like an efficient way to ensure customer satisfaction.

Facebook them to reserve a drink package? I am looking forward to my cruise and am not one to really sweat the small stuff, but this earned a major eye-roll from me. Does not seem like an efficient way to ensure customer satisfaction.

I could have called up and waited on hold to get it done, or take a minute while I was already on Facebook to send them a message.

The choice is completely yours to make, for me Facebook was my option. I sent a message at midnight, and by the time I got up in the morning it was done.

Unfortunately or fortunately, social media is the wave of the future. It is faster and more convenient for some people like myself.