Cabo

waltd

Will be in Cabo for a few hours in April. Any suggestions on either going to San Jose or Todos Santos? Have not been to either place. What would be the most interesting in your opinion.

Thanks

Todos Santos is a one street, high price tourist trap. It's more than a mile from the water and the only attraction is the Hotel California - which is not much to look at. Waste of time traveling that far. NOW... for less than a dollar you can take a great scenic local bus ride up to San Jose (about 30 mile) which is a quite large town with mega holels on the beach and the town is about a mile in from the water..easy walk with nice sidewalks and lots of all types of shopping. We've been going there every thanksgiving for years and love it. Cabo San Lucas is way too touristy and crowded. Hope this helps. 14 years of going there. Bill

Todos Santos is a one street, high price tourist trap. It's more than a mile from the water and the only attraction is the Hotel California - which is not much to look at. Waste of time traveling that far. NOW... for less than a dollar you can take a great scenic local bus ride up to San Jose (about 30 mile) which is a quite large town with mega holels on the beach and the town is about a mile in from the water..easy walk with nice sidewalks and lots of all types of shopping. We've been going there every thanksgiving for years and love it. Cabo San Lucas is way too touristy and crowded. Hope this helps. 14 years of going there. Bill

Bill, here we have to agree to disagree. Yes, we too love Cabo San Jose, but my bride of 42 years and I have been travelling to Cabo San Lucas twice a year for the past 5 years (once a year by ourselves, the other with our kids and grandkids). Is it "touristy"? Well...yeah...kinda....but if one walks only a few blocks away from the Marina, it becomes much less "touristy". The prices are better, the food is every bit as good (cheaper) and the beer and Maggies are most certainly as good and as cold, but cheaper.

I don't think that I would send any cruiser off on a city bus to San Jose. A long ride, and even though we have been to San Jose quite a few times, I just don't see the advantage of going there on a short time schedule.

For first time travelers to Cabo, I cannot but recommend a water taxi out to the arch, maybe a trip to Medano Beach, and most certainly a "wander" down a few streets in "old town". We have found that Cabo San Lucas is as safe as any US town that we have been in, the prices are lower, and the people are much friendlier! Just my $0.02Pesos worth.

• 2 weeks later...
Bill, here we have to agree to disagree. Yes, we too love Cabo San Jose, but my bride of 42 years and I have been travelling to Cabo San Lucas twice a year for the past 5 years (once a year by ourselves, the other with our kids and grandkids). Is it "touristy"? Well...yeah...kinda....but if one walks only a few blocks away from the Marina, it becomes much less "touristy". The prices are better, the food is every bit as good (cheaper) and the beer and Maggies are most certainly as good and as cold, but cheaper.

I don't think that I would send any cruiser off on a city bus to San Jose. A long ride, and even though we have been to San Jose quite a few times, I just don't see the advantage of going there on a short time schedule.

For first time travelers to Cabo, I cannot but recommend a water taxi out to the arch, maybe a trip to Medano Beach, and most certainly a "wander" down a few streets in "old town". We have found that Cabo San Lucas is as safe as any US town that we have been in, the prices are lower, and the people are much friendlier! Just my $0.02Pesos worth.

As you know Cabo quite well is there any contact e-mail you would have for a pharmacy there please

As you know Cabo quite well is there any contact e-mail you would have for a pharmacy there please

There are lots (and I do mean lots) of pharmacies in Cabo. Literally dozens within easy walking distance from the cruise docks. We have purchased several times from the one on the Marina right next to Soloman's Landing, but if you were to walk a few blocks away from the marina, you will find better prices. One thing that we look for is a pharmacy that is air-conditioned, thinking that their stock might be a bit "fresher". If you were to wander up Hildago street (just across from Wyndham) within 3 blocks you will find at least three.

You might also just wander down Marina Blvd (the main drag in Cabo), you will find quite a few within the first dozen blocks. Please keep in mind that we find that Cabo is very safe! We feel much safer in Cabo than we do in Portland.

I would not take the Bus to SJD while on a cruise. Too many things could go wrong and if you walk past the overpriced shops at the marina there are some real great shops and places to eat that are safe and cheap. I do like the ice cream shop next to the entrance to the paradiso mall at the marina. I think its called Senor Sweets. Great selection of killer ice cream and desserts!

Hi, Thinking of heading to Cabo area for a few days to get out of this cold and soak up some sun and heat. Is there an all inclusive hotel or two that you could recommend.

Thank you!!

Hi, Thinking of heading to Cabo area for a few days to get out of this cold and soak up some sun and heat. Is there an all inclusive hotel or two that you could recommend.

Thank you!!

If you haven't already, check Trip Advisor. Traveller reviews of the hotels and also forums to ask questions.

Thank you!!

There are a lot of great places to stay while in Cabo, but unless you are a heavy drinker (and even then, I might reconsider), the food in Cabo is really good and inexpensive. We eat when, and where, we are hungry. Sometimes nice restaurants, sometimes nothing more than a hole in the wall. Never had a problem, never any regrets. IMHO you will be much better off buying the room that you want, and eating and drinking away from the resort. I think that you will be better off in the long run.

Cabo is a small enough town that walking it is fairly easy, and although the taxis are some of the most expensive in all of Mexico, you can catch a taxi for up to 4 for normally less than $10US total.

We took the bus to San Jose a few years ago. I think the fare was about $2.50US each way. The ride takes about 45 minutes. San Jose is a much quieter town than Cabo. A few art galleries, good restaurants.

We've also walked to the beach via one of the resort hotels on the Pacific side. http://www.solmar.com/

We just walk through the lobby onto the beach. We often stop in the outdoor bar for a fish taco and beer before heading back to the ship.

Edited by Jeff in Torrance

We've also walked to the beach via one of the resort hotels on the Pacific side. http://www.solmar.com/

You need to consider that you cannot go in the water on the Pacific side. The undertow is too dangerous. As has been mentioned previously you need to go to Medano Beach if you wish to go in the water. If you want a relaxing experience go to Moxitos. That is where the locals hang out.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi, can I ask which currency you all used in Cabo? We will be going next year and were wondering if they acceted USD or do we need to get their currency? Thanks

We pay with dollars. No need to get pesos for the day in port.

We pay with dollars. No need to get pesos for the day in port.

Make sure to also bring small bills. Most vendors will give you change in Pesos. I also make sure I have the current exchange rate handy to make sure the rate they are giving you is close to current.

Thank you both, Rose and Ifish, for that info. I will definitely bring small USD bills and note the current exchange rates.

Any suggestions for souvenirs? Would also appreciate prices that can be remembered. I like to get magnets, shot glasses, plates with the location, among others.

Thank you both, Rose and Ifish, for that info. I will definitely bring small USD bills and note the current exchange rates.

Any suggestions for souvenirs? Would also appreciate prices that can be remembered. I like to get magnets, shot glasses, plates with the location, among others.

The large flea market is a ten minute walk from the terminal. They have shops close to the terminal but the farther you walk the cheaper stuff gets. They have every type of souvenir you can think of. I start at half the asking price and meet somewhere in the middle. If you don't like the price keep walking and it will go down for sure. There is Huichol bead artist we usually get a piece from. He is located near Cabo Wabo and makes some cool stuff. Last month when we were there for a week he made us a Seahawk plate for 60$ but it was really cool and obviously made local.

There is a flea market 10 minutes away, there is one 5 minutes away, and there is one as soon as you get off the tender dock. Go past the first one, and right next to Sr Frogs is a large souveniere market with big roll up walls. Walk thru, see what you like and note the prices. This shop is fixed pricing. Now if you like to dicker, go to one of the thousands of stands scattered around and you'll know what it can be bought for. I'm guessing it's mostly chinese stuff, but there are local artisans. Most of the trinket stuff goes from $1 to $5 ea. Not sure how much the hand painted paltes are.

Tip: find Tacos Gus. It's back in town a little (very walkable). Order a carne asada torta and a pineapple fruit juice drink.

I have to briefly derail to tell IfishSitka I loved seeing that screen name this morning. I'm originally from Sitka and my grandfather was a commercial fisherman there.

I love the place and have been fishing up there every summer for 20 years for fun. I would love to change my screen name to iliveinsitka one day! I bet there is a picture of your grandfathers boat in the Pioneer bar.