MSC and Tunisia

KSWind

I am scheduled to have port call in Tunis on the Splendida next month. In light of the NCL incident, what are your thoughts on MSC also dropping this port call? Where would you like to see them stop instead if you were scheduled for Tunis?

Technically, I am not allowed to disembark there for other reasons (please don't ask-OPSEC) but I am disappointed to miss out on Carthage. Personally, I would like to visit Valletta again.

I am scheduled to have port call in Tunis on the Splendida next month. In light of the NCL incident, what are your thoughts on MSC also dropping this port call? Where would you like to see them stop instead if you were scheduled for Tunis?

Technically, I am not allowed to disembark there for other reasons (please don't ask-OPSEC) but I am disappointed to miss out on Carthage. Personally, I would like to visit Valletta again.

I think they sail to North Africa for duty-free reasons and so would have to find a suitable alternative. I'm open to correction on that. Valleta would not suit if that's the case.

Surely you'll miss out on Carthage anyway due to you not being allowed to disembark.

Even though the self immolation event in 2014 by Tarek al-Tayeb Mohamed Bouazizi which is said to have triggered the "Arab Spring" affecting 17 middle eastern states was his response to government harrassment, it became a revolution over repressive and conservative governments. So logically and rationally speaking, Westerners represent the types of cultures and governments to which they aspire.

There will always be great danger in certain parts of the southern Mediterranean (well, truly anywhere you go for that matter). But the greatest threat is posed by religious fundamentalists who declare their allegiances with groups such as al 'Qaeda and Muslim Brotherhood.

If you decide not to visit a part of the world, base your decision on the activity of those people, not to the middle class middle easterners who admire the West.

This website updates regularly the states of alertness and critical warnings for travelers around the world.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/alertswarnings/worldwide-caution.html

As relates to Tunisia, limited staffing at Western countries' embassies is the reason given for urges of caution, not because of any particular conflagration.

"Given the unpredictability of the security situation in Tunisia, U.S. citizens should be alert and aware of their surroundings at all times. The ability of U.S. government personnel to reach travelers or provide emergency services may be severely limited, since the U.S. Embassy continues to operate with limited staffing. U.S. citizens should also avoid large crowds and demonstrations as even demonstrations that are intended to be peaceful can become violent and unpredictable. U.S. citizens should exercise caution when frequenting public venues that are known to be visited by large numbers of expatriates. U.S. citizens remaining in Tunisia should make their own contingency emergency plans, enroll their presence in Tunisia through the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP), and provide their current contact information and next-of-kin or emergency contact information. The Embassy also recommends that U.S. citizens regularly monitor the local media for current news and information."

We'll be in Tunisia this summer and I have every intention of booking an excursion to tourist sites while I'm there unless MSC or local governments consider it ill advised.

Of course, this information could be considered irrelevant to the OP since they won't be getting off the ship there in any case (why they even started this thread is a head scratcher). But for those who see the headline and consider it useful, there we are.

Edited by MotownVoice

Didn't hear of an incident in Tunis with a NCL ship. However I personally would be delighted if I were on a cruise calling at Tunis and it got dropped - oh actually I am next week and it is still listed on the itinerary on my tickets received today. I never get off there, just not interested. Almost anywhere else would suit me or a sea day or longer at ports either side of the scheduled Tunis stop.

Didn't hear of an incident in Tunis with a NCL ship. However I personally would be delighted if I were on a cruise calling at Tunis and it got dropped - oh actually I am next week and it is still listed on the itinerary on my tickets received today. I never get off there, just not interested. Almost anywhere else would suit me or a sea day or longer at ports either side of the scheduled Tunis stop.

An NCL ship docked at La Goulette on Sunday and pax from Israel were stopped from getting off.

Cruise staff seemed unprepared and disorganised about this turn of events but NCL have reacted quickly by pulling the stop from future cruises until the issue is resolved.

I wouldn't be happy docking there after this so my planned visit to the "shopping centre" and the hamman will be cancelled. I will stay aboard ship instead.

We had a very eventful time in La Goulette in Feb 2013. We booked one of those taxi tours which they sell at the port "Shopping Centre". The driver tried to rip us off by trying to charge extra so we insisted he return us to the ship which meant we were back in time to have lunch onboard. While in the MDR the ship broke free of its moorings and drifted across the port 'til it hit the pier on the other side and broke it. Three people were on the gangplank when this happened but luckily they weren't injured. Others who were returning from shopping expeditions were seen running down the pier thinking the ship had set sail without them! In the meantime, a polititian was shot dead in Tunis that same afternoon. I've always been amazed since that cruise ships still visit there.

An NCL ship docked at La Goulette on Sunday and pax from Israel were stopped from getting off.

Cruise staff seemed unprepared and disorganised about this turn of events but NCL have reacted quickly by pulling the stop from future cruises until the issue is resolved.

I wouldn't be happy docking there after this so my planned visit to the "shopping centre" and the hamman will be cancelled. I will stay aboard ship instead.

Israel is of course a touchy subject, but in principle there is nothing unusual about countries having different visa requirements for visitors from different countries. Some folks also have a hard time entering the US, so if this was the standard, they would have to bring the Divina back right away.

I have to agree with everyone though, who would be happy to see this port dropped. It also was our least favorite one. We did not enjoy being harassed by aggressive taxi drivers and vendors.

This is an MSC forum.

Not sure what that story has to do with MSC.

An awful lot of MSC Med cruises stop at La Goulette.

By all accounts the decision not to allow the pax to get off the ship was sudden and unexpected.

This post keeps people updated who will be docking at that very port in the near future (like me) and helps us discuss/plan/update what will happen if MSC decide to also pull this port.