Group cruise help

PSkinner

has anyone ever planned one and that would be willing to give me some pointers?

i know we need 8 cabins, but do they need to be booked at the same time?

what happens if someone has to cancel?

what benefits do you get doing a group vs booking on your own?

I booked mine with a TA. He helped me with the details and we got freebies and one free berth for every eight cabins. You do not need to book them at the same time...cancel is okay if you didn't book early saver or any rate that requires non-refundable deposit...also note that each cruise has a cancellation schedule depending on the length of the cruise.

You can all book separate and then tie the bookings together. As soon as you board, double check the table arrangements to make sure you are together. Our were not even though our bookings were tied.

Also, don't forget to take a group photo. We forgot. We did happen to take couples pictures with the same background, so we made a collage. I think it would be fun to do a group photo every day, but that might be too much work.

I agree with the others that you should book through a TA and have them do all of the work. For instance, do you want all 8 cabins in a row? A TA can put a hold on those cabins and each person then can contact the TA to give them their information and make the payments.

For one of our cruises, we "thought" we would have 8 cabins booked. We got a group rate but never hit the 8 cabins booked. We got to keep the rate but didn't get any points or the free fare for the one booking.

Does everyone have to pay at the same time?

Does everyone have to have the same cabin type?

Is there a big discount for 8 cabins ?

Does the discount increase as cabin numbers increase?

What other benefits are there for a group vs just individual bookings?

We don't necessarily need them all together as long as they are linked for meals would be ok.

Does everyone have to pay at the same time?

Does everyone have to have the same cabin type?

Is there a big discount for 8 cabins ?

Does the discount increase as cabin numbers increase?

What other benefits are there for a group vs just individual bookings?

We don't necessarily need them all together as long as they are linked for meals would be ok.

Everyone has to pay the downpayment to hold their cabin. Then they have up to around two months prior to the cruise to pay it off.

No, they don't all have to be the same type of cabin.

There is a "discount" of sorts for 8 cabins. You get the cost of one free person based on the average of the cost of the 8 cabins booked minus taxes and port fees. That amount is sent to the person heading the group. You can keep it yourself or split it up among the eight cabins. For every 8 cabins booked, you get the one free booking.

There is a point system for group bookings. The more booked, the more points. You can use those points for different offerings. Unfortunately I've never gotten any so I don't know for sure what they are. I'm sure somebody else will chime in and give you the details.

If it's done as a group booking, you will all have the same booking number. If done separately, you will each have your own booking number and they will have to be linked to all dine together. When booking, just tell whomever you are dealing with that you want them all booked. You will have to have each booking number though.

Hello, I am in the process of running my first group through carnival directly. The TA I was using refused to honor early saver anymore so we went on our own. It was pretty confusing at first, but here is some of the things I have picked up in the one month today from starting my group.

1. Carnival gave me 2 weeks to get 8 cabins deposited. So before starting my group, I found 8 couples who were willing to book in the first two weeks. (this ensures your group). If you fill less than that the group goes bye bye. Bookings still apply but no amenities.

2. I set my amenities, a group coordinator can explain this to you. I opted to buy a few more amenity points so we could offer the one hour shared cocktail party, and $100.00 OBC. (cost was $20.00 more pp.) but you come out $60.00 per cabin ahead.

3. They give you a group booking number, and you have the people you have lined up call the carnival groups number and give the group booking number, or group name. Our group name is Firefighters and Sweethearts, as a lot of the guys I work with are going along with friends that are not firefighters. Also because we are sailing on Feb. 14th.

4. I also had groups set it up to add all gratuities into the pricing, so I could quote a out the door price with some cool amenities!;) When it sounds like a great deal more people who have never gone are more apt to go!

5. Promote your group! word of mouth and social media are great tools! Half of our bookings are friends who seen posts about this group on social media, and decided to join!

6. For every 8 cabins (double occupancy) you get one conductor credit. (free passenger in a nut shell). So fill 16 plus cabins and your room could be next to free! Incentive for bringing business to Carnival.

I was pretty nervous about booking it, but turned out to be pretty easy so far. I have noticed that whomever answers the phone at groups is a crap shoot. Some know what they are talking about, and others have NO clue! So some of my group bookings had a bit of a struggle with the carnival reps while others were easy as pie.

You can do this! :)

Lonnie

Edited by cruise_pirate

I did it once for 14 people. It was a lot of work as passport information was needed as well as flight details for al of us.. People were split up in "wrong " cabins so that everyone would receive the past guest rates , and that made it difficult to get the "sail n sign" accounts to match up. Everyone gave me their passport info and credit card numbers and a few hours later the fun passes were complete.

Hello, I am in the process of running my first group through carnival directly. The TA I was using refused to honor early saver anymore so we went on our own. It was pretty confusing at first, but here is some of the things I have picked up in the one month today from starting my group.

1. Carnival gave me 2 weeks to get 8 cabins deposited. So before starting my group, I found 8 couples who were willing to book in the first two weeks. (this ensures your group). If you fill less than that the group goes bye bye. Bookings still apply but no amenities.

2. I set my amenities, a group coordinator can explain this to you. I opted to buy a few more amenity points so we could offer the one hour shared cocktail party, and $100.00 OBC. (cost was $20.00 more pp.) but you come out $60.00 per cabin ahead.

3. They give you a group booking number, and you have the people you have lined up call the carnival groups number and give the group booking number, or group name. Our group name is Firefighters and Sweethearts, as a lot of the guys I work with are going along with friends that are not firefighters. Also because we are sailing on Feb. 14th.

4. I also had groups set it up to add all gratuities into the pricing, so I could quote a out the door price with some cool amenities!;) When it sounds like a great deal more people who have never gone are more apt to go!

5. Promote your group! word of mouth and social media are great tools! Half of our bookings are friends who seen posts about this group on social media, and decided to join!

6. For every 8 cabins (double occupancy) you get one conductor credit. (free passenger in a nut shell). So fill 16 plus cabins and your room could be next to free! Incentive for bringing business to Carnival.

I was pretty nervous about booking it, but turned out to be pretty easy so far. I have noticed that whomever answers the phone at groups is a crap shoot. Some know what they are talking about, and others have NO clue! So some of my group bookings had a bit of a struggle with the carnival reps while others were easy as pie.

You can do this! :)

Lonnie

THANKS!!!! Great tips!. Trying to get people to get together for something next year. Give them time to plan ahead!

Block your Group Space as soon as you can .

New Groups availability doesn't last on popular sailings .

If the Group has Amenity Points on your sailing date (use for things like OBC)

anyone booked ES in your Group will not receive the Amenity.

However , every 8 cabins sailing @ dbl occ. , receive 1 cruise fare back

to group leader ,after cruise returns.

A good TA can make the whole process easier (especially when time comes to collect payments)

My family (at least 20 of us are going at last count) booked our group cruise through a travel agent. He gave us a group rate but I saw prices were a little lower online + OBC so I asked him to match it and give us the OBC within the group and he did. We all have different types of rooms and different sign-ons for carnival.com. We just called him one group at a time to book a room and he adds us to the group. I'm not sure what other perks we would get besides group excursion rates and I know he's trying to get us to dinner at the same time (not at the same table but same area)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Block your Group Space as soon as you can .

New Groups availability doesn't last on popular sailings .

If the Group has Amenity Points on your sailing date (use for things like OBC)

However , every 8 cabins sailing @ dbl occ. , receive 1 cruise fare back

to group leader ,after cruise returns.

A good TA can make the whole process easier (especially when time comes to collect payments)

Early saver can qualify for amenities whenever you have a group booked and go to berth the cabins all the rates the individual qualifies for will show up for them. Within that for early saver it will have a sentence added saying group amenities apply or group amenities do not apply. I have a group booked right now thru my TA and 3 of us selected the early saver within our group and the amenities do apply. Which is a 75.00 ship credit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will save yourself a ton of work and worry about details if find and use a TA who is experienced with this situation.

It will not cost you anymore to use a TA than it would to book direct (confirm this upfront in case you happen to find a TA that has alot of add-on fees).

As for the poster who talked about 8 cabins being linked after they booked individually....I don't think this qualifies for anything that an actual group booking would.

Either use a TA or use the groups department yourself.

The free berth money is mailed out after the cruise.

A group can be as little as 5 cabins, with the free berth usually starting at 8 cabins. Some cruises will have a free berth at 5 cabins. Usually the low season.

Groups are rarely done at high season, inc the holidays.

If you do not do an official group make sure all your cabins are linked together for dining.

Once onboard DO NOT HERD CATS! For our group we have three activities we would like everyone to do--an ice cream social (I keep trying to get out of it but they all like doing it), a picture on formal night and dinner nightly. Otherwise everyone does what they want to.

Dining-

Set time dining is best. As a group you can request who will be seating at what table. It is good to find out the current table floor plan ahead of time.

Two cruises ago we had 16 and needed a 10 top and a 6 top next to each other.

Edited by SadieN

Either use a TA or use the groups department yourself.

The free berth money is mailed out after the cruise.

A group can be as little as 5 cabins, with the free berth usually starting at 8 cabins. Some cruises will have a free berth at 5 cabins. Usually the low season.

Groups are rarely done at high season, inc the holidays.

If you do not do an official group make sure all your cabins are linked together for dining.

Once onboard DO NOT HERD CATS! For our group we have three activities we would like everyone to do--an ice cream social (I keep trying to get out of it but they all like doing it), a picture on formal night and dinner nightly. Otherwise everyone does what they want to.

Dining-

Set time dining is best. As a group you can request who will be seating at what table. It is good to find out the current table floor plan ahead of time.

Two cruises ago we had 16 and needed a 10 top and a 6 top next to each other.

With Carnival is has to be 16 berths to get the free berth, which is cost of one person based on double occupancy less port charges and gov't fees you still have to pay those. Also Carnival changed back the way the tour conductor can take the credit, if you have a good TA they will know how to get the credit applied at the time all the final payments have been made.

With Carnival is has to be 16 berths to get the free berth, which is cost of one person based on double occupancy less port charges and gov't fees you still have to pay those. Also Carnival changed back the way the tour conductor can take the credit, if you have a good TA they will know how to get the credit applied at the time all the final payments have been made.

The TA fronts the money and then reimburses themselves with Carnival's check.

I have done 7 group cruises with Carnival. A group has to have 5 cabins, if less then you cannot get your amenities. Several, including our last cruise had 1 free berth for 5 cabins sold. (It's a promo, isn't available all the time.) Most of the time it is 8 for the free berth. The free berth money is based on the most booked cabin type - IS, OV, Balcony, Suite.

Our TA is also a good friend. We use our points and free berth for a charity donation. We sail in the off-season, November or February.

Edited by SadieN

I don't think this is accurate. We were group booked on our last cruise ES and got the amenity package. And on my group we have 14 cabins all booked ES and everyone is getting $100.00 OBC and the 1 hour open bar party.

This just may be what your TA is telling you. That is what mine was pushing on me and was not going to let us book ES rates. :rolleyes: