Snorkeling GC

Gypsydrifting

depending on where you go

and the conditions the day you visit

I would NOT go to KIT' .... wasted money IMO, you can find better for free . . .

Eden Rock or Sunset House are my usual launch points

been going here since the mid 80's . . . .

ready to drop for a shore nite dive .. Sunset House, March 13

100_0105_zps00ed64ce.jpg

I've snorkeled all over the Caribbean and it's one of my very favorite places to snorkel. The waters are crystal clear and absolutely gorgeous. We stayed on the north end for two weeks (not far from Rum point) and the reef there was great at the time. Recently we've done both Sunset House and Eden Roc and both were very good.

I found this site with some great info on snorkeling in Grand Cayman, and it includes videos so you can take a look and see if it looks like it is worth it to you:

http://blog.sunplay.com/category/grand-cayman/

There are several places I am hoping to try on my next trip there. On my last trip we just snorkeled of the shore at Seven Mile and it was not the best place I have ever snorkeled but still enjoyable and the beach is lovely. Best Sand I have ever experienced :) I know that sounds funny but I love sand!

Seven Mile beach is a beautiful SAND BEACH

Sand Beach is not usually great snorkeling

Eden and Sunset areas are IRON SHORE .... no sand beach but that's because 'iron shore' is what they call it when the coral has become exposed over time. When you jump in from iron shore the coral is 'right there'

this aerial shot of Sunset might explain it better . . .

sunsethouse_zps9083c174.jpg

light blue is sand chutes and the darker is coral . . . . where the color gets darker off shore is the drop ... depth goes to 60 foot'ish here and a bit farther out is 'the wall' where depths drop to . . .

This picture also shows a particular feature at Sunset that makes it a good choice for less experienced snorkelers. At the top you'll note a squareish area has been cut into the shore line. This is the 'sea pool'. The water here is about 8 foot deep and is a protected area with a swimout to the reef . . . there is a ladder to get in and out. A good place to start if not completely comfortable with the gear and just want a slower start . . .

Edited by Capt_BJ

We also wanted to go snorkeling while in Grand Cayman. We've done cemetery beach, but I don't think we swam out far enough. We are hoping to try Eden Rock, Wreck of the Cali, and maybe Cheeseburger Reef. Does anyone have any insight on if these might be easier to swim out to?

Thanks!

Edited by caribbean1004

Get off the tender, turn right, walk less than a couple of hundred yards and you'll find a free entry to a reef right there in town. Walk down the stairs and join the huge tarpon and smaller colorful reef fishes swimming within a few feet of where you put in.

I just got back from a Cayman stop and, again, got what has to be the best free deal in the Caribbean.

Get off the tender, turn right, walk less than a couple of hundred yards and you'll find a free entry to a reef right there in town. Walk down the stairs and join the huge tarpon and smaller colorful reef fishes swimming within a few feet of where you put in.

I just got back from a Cayman stop and, again, got what has to be the best free deal in the Caribbean.

This entry would be at either the Paradise Rest' or Eden Rock dive shop ... next to each other. If you need to rent gear head up to the Eden Rock dive shop . . .

Or go 1/2 mile up the road to Sunset House. . .

everyone 'in the know' will stop at Eden ....

If U go to Sunset I doubt you see another person from the ship . . . same basic coral formation, 1/4 mile down the road

Edited by Capt_BJ

"My Bar" at Sunset House has been consistently rated as one of the BEST beach bars in the Carib'

This is where the locals come at night . . . .

How do I know? I've stayed many week long trips here since the mid 80's. The Governor's car is a regular . . .