Port Charges-Class Action Setlement Came today

If you think that these lawyers are whistleblowers or "consumer watchdogs", you're being very naive. All that they saw was an opportunity to make money for themselves, and to make money out of us cruisers.

The amount of money that cruisers were out of pocket was minimal. In comparison with the amount of money that the cruise lines take in overall from fares etc, the amount of money that they were overpaid by was minimal. That's why the amount that people got back was barely worth the effort of opening the envelopes.

The only people who get rich out of these actions is the lawyers. They're the only people for whom the money isn't minimal. Guess why they're the most enthusiastic?

(I'll say it again: This is one lawyer's view of fellow lawyers, from experience.)

If I need a lawyer can I hire you?

Something has turned the Falcon from an avid and enthusiastic NCL cruiser to a NCL party pooper in less that three weeks.

Have the experiences of a few on these boards swayed you that much that you now feel compelled to warn others of an impending doom?

More importantly, are you still on your Spirit cruise after it is refurbished, or have you cancelled it (or at least thought about it)?

Reading the boards can be like reading the package insert on medications. Both list everything every reported thing that could go wrong even it it happened to one person.

If you read and take to heart everything you would never take another medication or a cruise :confused:

Back on topic. I got the claim form for this class action and never filed it. 5 years from now perhaps we will see posts from the "wave" people getting their $12 checks and two catagory upgrade voucher ;)

My take: If you don't like the way a company does business or feel that in some way they are ripping you off - don't give them your business - period. Personally I look at the total cost - if it is what I want to pay - fine. I don't get uptight about how each $10 fee is distributed or not because I don't care. Comparing cruise fees to rape and murder or Enron is beyond ridiculous (and I do have a strong sense of the need for honesty and moral propriety in business dealings - I also have a sense scale and proportion.)

Well stated. The consumer has all the power by paying the requested amount or not. How is that a rip off? The only rip off here was the lawyers and thank goodness there are lawyers like Globaliser who recognize this. How is pushing cruise lines closer to bankruptcy going to help cruise passengers? Almost every travel related company is still recovering from 9-11, I don't think NCL or the rest of them are exactly rolling in it. Just my opinion.

JR

My take: If you don't like the way a company does business or feel that in some way they are ripping you off - don't give them your business - period. Personally I look at the total cost - if it is what I want to pay - fine. I don't get uptight about how each $10 fee is distributed or not because I don't care. Comparing cruise fees to rape and murder or Enron is beyond ridiculous (and I do have a strong sense of the need for honesty and moral propriety in business dealings - I also have a sense scale and proportion.)

You are certainly entitled to spend your money however you want and give your business to whatever company you feel good about.

I'd still like to know how you decide you can trust a company. I'm sure the people who invested in Enron thought they could trust a big company that was audited by a big accounting firm but it turns out they were wrong.

I think anyone giving their business to a company has a right to ask questions, it doesn't mean that they shouldn't ever deal with that company, it just means that they are careful and are trying not to get ripped off.

I am still booked and as a matter of fact we now have two staterooms.

We are now a party of 6.

*I like that this cruise sails from NYC - No Airfare.

*I like that the Spirit will be fresh out of drydock but with enough time to iron out the inevitable post refit problems.

*We like the itinerary. We have never done the Southern Caribbean.

*We like the lenght and date. Post Thanksgiving - Kids will miss less school.

*We have never done "Freestyle". We are Lattitude Members from the SS Norway.

All cruise lines have their share of problems.

I well know that "Ship" happens.

I will continue to monitor these boards and comment on NCL.

You can always put me on your "Ignore" list or report my posts to the Moderator.

You are certainly entitled to spend your money however you want and give your business to whatever company you feel good about.

I'd still like to know how you decide you can trust a company. I'm sure the people who invested in Enron thought they could trust a big company that was audited by a big accounting firm but it turns out they were wrong.

I think anyone giving their business to a company has a right to ask questions, it doesn't mean that they shouldn't ever deal with that company, it just means that they are careful and are trying not to get ripped off.

Well I guess that is where we differ. I don't feel the need to "trust" a cruiseline over a $10 fee. However I do feel the need to have trust in a company I am investing my life savings with - as I said it's a matter of proportion. If someone has a personal need to "trust" a company over a $10 fee and they don't feel that "trust" then they should take their business elsewhere.

I will continue to monitor these boards and comment on NCL.

I am looking forward to your review after your sail. The Spirit is a great ship and I know that you will have a good time.

I have been following some of the threads where some members have been giving some critical reviews of not only the ships that they sailed on but also the customer service they have been given. It makes for interesting reading, for sure. It sure beats the all positive reviews, which really offer very little information.

My quiry was more related to the fact that you have suddenly raised the red flag with regards to NCL. You seem to be warning others of possibly questioning their choice in cruising with NCL. From my perspective, the members have discribed situations that are specific to their cruise experience and are not of the norm. Personally, if I had similar experiences on an NCL ship or for that regard, any other company, I would seek out a solution first with the company. Once resolved (or not), that is when I would report my experience (or not). Since you have not personally had these experiences (yet) with NCL, I just wondered why you would sound so alarmist, especially since you are still booked (and I'm pretty sure) excited about your Spirit cruise.

Just my take on the situation.

This reminds me of those ridiculous class action drug commercials you see on TV.

Voiceover:

"It has just been discovered that the drug XYZ has caused heart problems in .0000001% of those who have taken it (never mind that it cured cancer in the other .9999999%). Have you ever taken XYZ? We can get you money! Even if you have no symptoms and are in the best health of your life, we can get you the settlement that you deserve! Just call WE-MAKE-MILLIONS LAW FIRM and let us help you!"

I think these class action lawsuits have gotten out of hand. They do nothing but make the lawyers rich and clog the court system. Surely, if these lawyers had only altruistic intentions, they could have stopped NCL from overcharging by reporting to the proper authorities without filing a class action lawsuit that made them rich and did little for those who were harmed.

In the end, we all pay for these lawsuits through increased product costs AND higher taxes to pay for the overburdened court system.

This reminds me of those ridiculous class action drug commercials you see on TV.

Voiceover:

"It has just been discovered that the drug XYZ has caused heart problems in .0000001% of those who have taken it (never mind that it cured cancer in the other .9999999%). Have you ever taken XYZ? We can get you money! Even if you have no symptoms and are in the best health of your life, we can get you the settlement that you deserve! Just call WE-MAKE-MILLIONS LAW FIRM and let us help you!"

I think these class action lawsuits have gotten out of hand. They do nothing but make the lawyers rich and clog the court system. Surely, if these lawyers had only altruistic intentions, they could have stopped NCL from overcharging by reporting to the proper authorities without filing a class action lawsuit that made them rich and did little for those who were harmed.

In the end, we all pay for these lawsuits through increased product costs AND higher taxes to pay for the overburdened court system.

Interesting you would mention the drug companies: about 4 years ago I had taken a cholesteral lowering drug for about a month. I don't know why I stopped taking it, but it was associated with heart damage and a couple of deaths I think. Anyway all over the place for 2 years were commercials for a major law firm handling the class action case. I never did call them, I did eventually get contacted by them, but did not fill out any papers. What would I have gained, I don't know and don't care, I just wasn't about to be a part of something like that. NMNita

Voiceover:

Interesting analogy. A drug I had to take on one occasion has been recently removed from the market - because the maker feared class action law suits . This is annoying to me since I took it ONLY as prescribed and for a very limited time frame and with full knowledge of potential side effects. My understanding is that the problems that caused it to be removed from the market were occuring when people took larger than recommended dosages for LONG periods of time. Because of this I have "lost" a drug that benefited me greatly when I had a very painful problem (Other drugs just did not help during a 5 day period of acute pain.) I am annoyed that this choice (to take on minor additional risk for a short period of time in order to relieve pain when nothing else was working) is no longer mine to make.

Just my two cents here, but it does get a bit confusing for new cruisers looking for the best price when the port charges and taxes are not included in the advertised cost. Of course, most all posting here are seasoned cruisers and very much aware of the port charges, etc. So, the port charges are in important in that respect and frankly, I am happy that these charges are regulated. Just think how much wallyworld could make by over charging each customer a single penny. Of course it would not hurt the consumer at all, nor would the extra on port charges I suspect. It is just nice to know that there is a system that at least makes what you see in print have to be the truth. Whether it is port charges or drug side effects, I am thankfull it works.

I have a question....Since the lawsuit involved port charges on NCL I can understand either issuing a future cruise credit to be used on NCL or a refund check, but why is NCL including coupons to be used on Orient Lines? What do they have to do with the original lawsuit? I am confused????? :confused:

MARAPRINCE

I have a question....Since the lawsuit involved port charges on NCL I can understand either issuing a future cruise credit to be used on NCL or a refund check, but why is NCL including coupons to be used on Orient Lines? What do they have to do with the original lawsuit? I am confused????? :confused:

MARAPRINCE

Orient Lines is a part of NCL Corporation, which in turn is a subsidiary of Star Cruises.

Just my two cents here, but it does get a bit confusing for new cruisers looking for the best price when the port charges and taxes are not included in the advertised cost. Of course, most all posting here are seasoned cruisers and very much aware of the port charges, etc. So, the port charges are in important in that respect and frankly, I am happy that these charges are regulated. Just think how much wallyworld could make by over charging each customer a single penny. Of course it would not hurt the consumer at all, nor would the extra on port charges I suspect. It is just nice to know that there is a system that at least makes what you see in print have to be the truth. Whether it is port charges or drug side effects, I am thankfull it works.

Fleet, port charges are listed in the total price but not always the government taxes which really are not much. When a person is quoted the price for the cruise all charges are given. Maybe I have missed your point here somehow. NMnita

Fleet, port charges are listed in the total price but not always the government taxes which really are not much. When a person is quoted the price for the cruise all charges are given. Maybe I have missed your point here somehow. NMnita

I think Fleet's point was that it was difficult for the individual cruiser to be aware of what they were actually paying in the way of port charges and taxes. Since I think you have been a TA for quite a while, I'm sure you are aware that the port charges were not always added into the fare when price was quoted. I think that Fleet was saying that he is glad to know that someone is keeping an eye on these things. Although you may scoff at a check for $7.50 mailed to a single customer, Fleet, I think is pointing out that while it may seem negligable when looked at like that, a company that makes a habit of overcharging customers even a small amount on a regular basis is going to come out with quite a nice ill-gotten bonus to their bottom line.( Hence the referance to Wallyworld.)

Anyway, that's how I read his post. Hope I haven't put words in your mouth Fleet.

Orient Lines is a part of NCL Corporation, which in turn is a subsidiary of Star Cruises.

johnql,

I understand what you are saying. However, the point I was getting at is why not offer the vouchers on NCL itself rather than a subsidiary line that had nothing to do with the lawsuit? They could have offered vouchers for NCL America -- Pride of Aloha or Pride of America.

MARAPRINCE

Guest nhrich

The vouchers as part of the settlement are good for NCL. There was a separate coupon that you could use on Orient.

Rich, ACC

Carefree Vacations

WE haven't sailed on NCL for years - just our personal choice. But we did fill out the forms last November.

Our checks came in the mail on Tuesday. DH got 2 checks for $7.50 each and I got 2 checks for $5 each. A total of $25. When we filled out the forms we indicated that we were entitled to $60 - $30 per person. We asked for the cash - no vouchers. We didn't get any NCL vouchers but we got 8 vouchers for Orient Cruise Line.

DH called the number listed on the form and they said that checks were mailed in patches. We are waiting until next week before we call again.

Did anyone else get ripped off?

WE haven't sailed on NCL for years - just our personal choice. But we did fill out the forms last November.

Our checks came in the mail on Tuesday. DH got 2 checks for $7.50 each and I got 2 checks for $5 each. A total of $25. When we filled out the forms we indicated that we were entitled to $60 - $30 per person. We asked for the cash - no vouchers. We didn't get any NCL vouchers but we got 8 vouchers for Orient Cruise Line.

DH called the number listed on the form and they said that checks were mailed in patches. We are waiting until next week before we call again.

Ripped Off:confused: ........by whom?.........I would assume this came via the court.

[/font][/b]

Do you suspect that you were given less than the courts ordered? I suspect that the rest of the $30-$60 (if that was the amt of the settlement) went to the lawyers who brought the suit.

-Monte

Just because some lawyer indicated what you would receive a certain amount doesn't mean anything; are you saying you got a letter from NCL last November. Look at it this way, you got something, if there hadn't been the class action suit you would have gotten nothing and I bet, if you haven't cruised NCL in years you never really thought much about this did you? NMnita

Archived