Triumph lawsuit: they are NOT seeking $5k/month

guxu

Only three of them are asking Carnival to pay $5,000 per year for life while the rest are seeking $2,500 to $5,000 for four to five years.

While I believe Carnival has already compensated most passengers enough, I think $2,500 to $5,000 for four to five years are still reasonable, if the passengers can provide some or any evidence. And I bet Carnival would settle the case. But I guess those 3 passengers ruined the chance.

Only three of them are asking Carnival to pay $5,000 per year for life while the rest are seeking $2,500 to $5,000 for four to five years.

While I believe Carnival has already compensated most passengers enough, I think $2,500 to $5,000 for four to five years are still reasonable, if the passengers can provide some or any evidence. And I bet Carnival would settle the case. But I guess those 3 passengers ruined the chance.

I'm sure the attorney representing the plaintiffs will try to squeeze every dollar he can out of Carnival. There's a well known saying (that I will clean up for here). "Wish in one hand and poop in the other and see which one fills up first." I would think anyone that had been on that cruise and still feels that they weren't fairly compensated would have to present some type of irrefutable proof as to why they deserve more. I'd love to see the trial on T.V., with Judge Judy presiding.:D

300,000 is not reasonable to me

I guess you are still thinking they are seeking $5k per month :(

It's per year.

you didnt say that in the original post so I assumed. I thought they wanted 5K per month but only for 5 years while other wanted it for life.

sorry for the confusion.

actually 25K is still a bit unreasonable to me but not totally ridiculous like the others

so, carnival doesn't owe anyone anything. any first year law student can tell you that.

when you go on the cruise, you're basically saying anything that happens, whether or not it's carnivals fault, they are not liable and can't be sued. i don't know what carnival has given to the passengers who had to go through that horrible ordeal, but it's really damming when people think they're owed something when something bad happens. and carnival has great lawyers who have written a pretty airtight contract that we all agree to when we board that boat, so as awful as what happened on the Triumph was, anything Carnival gave them is more than they were "owed" since they weren't "owed" anything. and filing suits is really a sad waste of the plaintiff's money, since chances are, unless Carnival settles out of court to shut them up and end the ordeal, a judge will likely not give them relief.

I love all the armchair lawyers here.

I don't judge these things as there are always facts you have no clue about. You don't have any facts about these particular people. Maybe they are greedy idiots, maybe they got very sick from contact with the red bags. Who knows. Certainly not CC people.

At the end of the day, if they are being absolutely unreasonable, nine times out of 10 they will end up losing in court because the judge or jury will find their credibility to be worthless.

so, carnival doesn't owe anyone anything. any first year law student can tell you that.

when you go on the cruise, you're basically saying anything that happens, whether or not it's carnivals fault, they are not liable and can't be sued. i don't know what carnival has given to the passengers who had to go through that horrible ordeal, but it's really damming when people think they're owed something when something bad happens. and carnival has great lawyers who have written a pretty airtight contract that we all agree to when we board that boat, so as awful as what happened on the Triumph was, anything Carnival gave them is more than they were "owed" since they weren't "owed" anything. and filing suits is really a sad waste of the plaintiff's money, since chances are, unless Carnival settles out of court to shut them up and end the ordeal, a judge will likely not give them relief.

This judge said that CCL was at fault but there would be no punitive damages... If any of the people have actual medical expenses, they should be compensated for them (the lady who broke her leg for example). Other than that, the offer of $500, free cruise, refund of what they paid, and travel refund seemed pretty fair.

Carnival is suing BAE Systems for $12.6 million over an estimated $2.9 million damage to the Triumph. Perhaps they can channel some of that unconscionable windfall to some of the inconvenienced passengers of that ill fated trip.

Carnival is suing BAE Systems for $12.6 million over an estimated $2.9 million damage to the Triumph. Perhaps they can channel some of that unconscionable windfall to some of the inconvenienced passengers of that ill fated trip.

Hmmm.....

According to Cruise Industry News Carnival stated in their suit that damages are “estimated to be in excess of $12,600,000.”

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/9426-carnival-sues-bae-shipyard-for-triumph-damage.html

Hmmm.....

According to Cruise Industry News Carnival stated in their suit that damages are “estimated to be in excess of $12,600,000.”

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/9426-carnival-sues-bae-shipyard-for-triumph-damage.html

$2.9 million in estimated damages. They're asking for $12.6 million.

http://www.marinelog.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=6223:shipyard-bollard-failure-caused-carnival-triumph-breakaway&Itemid=231

http://www.ntsb.gov/doclib/reports/2014/MAB1402.pdf

Edited by EZ4

Looks like the NTSB estimated the damages at 2.6 million and Carnival is saying that the damages are estimated to be in excess of 12.6 million. If doubt they will get the 12.6 million if the damages are only 2.6 million.

Maybe there was more damage than they originally thought or maybe they are including lost revenue.

Like I said in the other thread . I don't care if it's $500o a month , a week, a year ....Whatever , it is absurd ......GREED , just plain greed.

I remember years ago when lawyers got the ok to advertise . A guy at work said "This country is going to go further into the crapper than it already is"

Pete, God rest your soul, you were right.

Looks like the NTSB estimated the damages at 2.6 million and Carnival is saying that the damages are estimated to be in excess of 12.6 million. If doubt they will get the 12.6 million if the damages are only 2.6 million.

Maybe there was more damage than they originally thought or maybe they are including lost revenue.

I'm sure lost revenue figured into it. Don't forget the constant bashing of the line on the news. Other lines have had fires and loss of power and it is barely mentioned. In fact, if I were not on Cruise Critic regularly I doubt I'd see some of these stories. But the poop cruise stories still come up every time there is any mention of Carnival in the news.

$2.9 million firgure is most likly the acctuall damage to the ship. Carnival then can also ask for lost renvue do to missed cruises because of the added down time. Hence the firgure of $12.6 million.

$2.9 million firgure is most likly the acctuall damage to the ship. Carnival then can also ask for lost renvue do to missed cruises because of the added down time. Hence the firgure of $12.6 million.

Lost revenue? Are you kidding? The ship was scheduled to be in the shipyard for months as it was. They lost $0 in revenue. It returned to service as planned. They're asking for over 4 times actual damages. Carnival is as greedy as their passengers that are suing them. They should share any windfall with the passengers.

The question was the amount they are asking for. And weather you think it is right or not lost revue is one claim that can be made. And it adds up very quickly. One missed 5 day cruise. At an average price of $750/person. Apx. capt. 2800 is $2,100,00 in fares. Add drinks etc. how much would be lost.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app