Carnival Fantasy

mikem5

A business operating at Union Pier in the city of Charleston.

I don't like the correlation the plaintiffs are trying to make on that one. :-\

Another plaintiff issue, while the ship is in port, it is causing soot on everyone's window sill from the engines running on bunker fuel. :-/

Like really, the ship is only in port about 7 to 8 hours each week, I don't think it's causing that kind of build up.

People just want to complain and create lawsuits.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree. After reading the plan for Union pier, it would appear to be a win/win for all. Can these people honestly say that the 200 cargo ships have cleaner/better environmental standards than cruise ships? This plan would move those 200 cargo ship away from the peninsula, which means the train/truck traffic moves with it.

Charleston is a beautiful city and the proposed design plan does look MORE Charleston than the current port. These oppposed property owners (I am guessing these are the very, very wealthy owners of some of the amazing homes in the area) need to realize that tourism is imperative for downtown Charleston to survive. While their areas/homes are lovely, there are areas of Charleston that aren't, and who could use the revenue generated by not only a new terminal and possible larger ship, but also the expansion of the public areas of Union Pier. On some popular trip planning website ;), Charleston Waterfront Park is listed as the #1 attraction. Updating, expanding, and beautifying the area seems like a no-brainer. Also...they have to do something about the awkward location of the Bennet Mill Rice facade. If they are going to keep it up and preserve it, they need to give it the presentation it deserves. I understand the new plan creates a 1 acre park around the facade, isntead of it floating in a parking lot.

Either way, we loved our Fantasy cruise. We sailed with some wonderful people and enjoyed all of the staff and services. She may be a little older, but she is a lovely, lovely ship and you wouldn't have to twist my arm to get me to sail her again. I'll be sad when she retires...

Edited by alligirl78

As a fellow South Carolinian from the upstate, I an a fan of having a ship in Charleston and the Fantasy is a sentimental favorite of mine. It was the our first cruise while celebrating a wedding anniversary and the very cruise that hooked (addicted) us to cruising. I've cruised it several times and have enjoyed this ship tremendously. Granted, it has been a while (4years), but I am currently looking at one of the 7 day cruises for my next cruise. Either for business or leisure, I generally end up in the Charleston area 2 or 3 times a year.

I know it's location restricts the cruise length and available ports of calls and being a veteran cruiser, the Bahamas is the Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson of the cruise industry. You just can't go anyway from the East Coast (including Florida) and NOT go to Nassau, Freeport, or both. Having been there so many times, we no longer get off the ship, it makes it less enticing from me since the Bahamas is the only itinerary of the Fantasy (save a couple of 7 dayers thrown). Having said that, a day on a cruise ship in Nassau is better than a day at work anytime!

Charleston is a unique city and has much to offer. If a visitor to the city anchors their opinion of this intriguing historical and international city in the current port facilities, they are being very myopic. I understand the naturalists point of view and the desire to maintain the setting of that area. It comes down to the choice of the cost of growth/economics and progress or injecting what the naturalists think of as poison into a pristine heritage.

Now, admittedly, I do not know all the details and the intricacies of the regulations, codes, etc of Charleston. But, if I am not mistaken, I think one of the other shipping ports up the river is either closed or being closed and I don't know if that presents a viable alternative to where everyone gets what they want. I know it would take away money out of the money cycle and economics of the current port area, but it would also take the ship away, which is what the naturalists want. But, it would keep a cruise ship in SC, which is what the cruisers want. Obviously, these are just my thoughts and opinions and other than having a desire to keep the Fantasy or a Carnival cruise ship within easy driving distance, I have no dog in this fight. Regardless, with the prolonged litigation with no end in sight, if it ever is resolved, regardless of the outcome, there will be no winner. It will ultimately cost hundreds, if not thousands of dollars, the city will remain divided, and the percussions will go on for years to come.

As a municipal employee for nearly 30 years, I know our codes are routinely reviewed and changes are made accordingly....and justifiably so. Change is constant and we must change with it to keep our economic development options competitive, our citizens protected, and the face of our city on the map......in a good way of course. How much the height violation of the Whales Tail weights in on all of this seems dismissive of more important issues. After all, that happens twice a week. Maybe a few more here and there when other cruise lines call. Those church steeples are there year 'round, so is that really an issue? Really?

I hate to see this bickering and in-fighting become an infected pimple on the face of Charleston. For the business model of those franchises and mom and pops in the historical district and surrounding area, it's all about dollars and cents. For the purists, it's all about maintaining status quo of a beautiful historical district and preserving the face of history. I'm sure the fight has been long and weary and from the cheap seats, I just wish it would come to end and I'm to the point where it really doesn't matter which way the verdict goes. Again, I know that both sides have very strong feelings on the matter and I certainly do not take that away. I well understand my position that not having a dog in the fight is the easy way out for me to form an opinion.

While one side is all about the money, the other side's focus is anything but that. The funny thing is......regardless of the side you take, both are having to pay a very heavy cost.....and money seems to be the least form of payment.

Good luck Charlietown.

Edited by Chief Cruiser

The Fantasy is only 14 years old? Doubt the Fantasy is going anywhere anytime soon.

She is older than that as we sailed on her 1996 and she was not new then. Still love that ship.

Oops...went back and saw the other posts.

Edited by Terre

I go to Charleston twice a year and I can't hear any noises being produce from the ship unless you physically walk up to the ship and the traffic is one area of the city that rarely has traffic and they are moving the ship out of the historical zone.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

Not sure if its neen mentioned, but the Fantasy has been listed for months as for sail on a website that occassional gets posted here. Only thing missing is the name. All the specs indicated it is the Fantasy.

We sailed her when she was brand new, and somehow didn't like her. Design was sterile. But when we sailed her sisters, it became our favorite, until the balcony ships made the scene.

Its hard to beiieve she's now the oldest ship in the fleet at 24, when we can still remember that new ship smell.

Not sure if its neen mentioned, but the Fantasy has been listed for months as for sail on a website that occassional gets posted here. Only thing missing is the name. All the specs indicated it is the Fantasy.

We sailed her when she was brand new, and somehow didn't like her. Design was sterile. But when we sailed her sisters, it became our favorite, until the balcony ships made the scene.

Its hard to beiieve she's now the oldest ship in the fleet at 24, when we can still remember that new ship smell.

Whats really hard to believe is you found another ship on Carnival that you don't like. Let me see if I ahve it correctly, nothing over 100,000 tons and nothing under.... did I miss anything?

Whats really hard to believe is you found another ship on Carnival that you don't like. Let me see if I ahve it correctly, nothing over 100,000 tons and nothing under.... did I miss anything?

Being your keeping a scorecard, I like the Spirit, the Fantasy, and the Holiday class. I just always found the first ship in each class to be devoid of anything but a sterlie decor. The Holiday, the Fantasy, the Spirit, and the Destiny all come to mind. The Destiny seem to hold that for the Conquest, Dream and Splendor (not sure what class Costa has that categorized as).

The addition of the atrium bar on the Fantasy changed that wasted space, with that silly rotating kalaidescope in the middle removed.

Thanks for asking!.

Being your keeping a scorecard, I like the Spirit, the Fantasy, and the Holiday class. I just always found the first ship in each class to be devoid of anything but a sterlie decor. The Holiday, the Fantasy, the Spirit, and the Destiny all come to mind. The Destiny seem to hold that for the Conquest, Dream and Splendor (not sure what class Costa has that categorized as).

The addition of the atrium bar on the Fantasy changed that wasted space, with that silly rotating kalaidescope in the middle removed.

Thanks for asking!.

Not sure i am capable of a scorecard, more a general trend. Thanks for the additional info! The Destiny...really?:confused:

Not sure i am capable of a scorecard, more a general trend. Thanks for the additional info! The Destiny...really?:confused:

Not sure what you're asking, but it was easy to also pick out all the "errors" of the Destiny sailing both the Triumph and the Victory first, overwhelmed with the land and the sea themes of the two latter ships.

The missing deck, the pllacent and shapes of stircases, the swim up bar pool, and a myriad of other things.

But it was the startling lack of even vibrant or even suble color thoughout the ship that made it lack luster. Didn't help being on a port intensive itinerary.

Now, back to the Fantasy.....

Not sure what you're asking, but it was easy to also pick out all the "errors" of the Destiny sailing both the Triumph and the Victory first, overwhelmed with the land and the sea themes of the two latter ships.

The missing deck, the pllacent and shapes of stircases, the swim up bar pool, and a myriad of other things.

But it was the startling lack of even vibrant or even suble color thoughout the ship that made it lack luster. Didn't help being on a port intensive itinerary.

Now, back to the Fantasy.....

Mis-understood, I though you were saying the Destiny was one of your small list of favs. Sorry for the detour, we can go back to Fantasy bashing now. My guess would be that the Fantasy is probably a Carnival cruiser favorite, based upons reviews I have read. I never have sailed her, but been along side her a time or two.

Mis-understood, I though you were saying the Destiny was one of your small list of favs. Sorry for the detour, we can go back to Fantasy bashing now. My guess would be that the Fantasy is probably a Carnival cruiser favorite, based upons reviews I have read. I never have sailed her, but been along side her a time or two.

She is my favorite lol.... She is the least farcused ship in the fantasy class. Love her.

She is my favorite lol.... She is the least farcused ship in the fantasy class. Love her.

We were along side her (literally) in Nassau this past August (or April...can't really remember which crusie it was....not all that important). and looking down on her (we stayed most of the day on the ship, except for a jaunt over to the straw market) sitting out by the aft pool , got into a conversation with the dear wife about would we sail her or not. It turned out to be a fairly interesting discussion. While the dates don't work for us at all right now, if it were a week long cruise, we both expressed interest. Pinebuff is correct though, that it appears she maybe being marketed for sale.

Speaking of least Farcused ships, have you been on the Breeze yet? Love the new interior (also on the Sunshine.....) back to the Fantasy.

I think the Fantasy will be in the fleet for another 5 -7 years mainly because there is not a very robust used ship market and the ship itself is still marketable and in working condition.

I loved the Fantasy. Was shocked to find out she was the oldest ship currently sailing for Carnival. She did not look 24 years old at all! Enjoyed my cruise and plan to cruise her again since its only a 2 hour drive for me. :) Saves me money also since I usually drive down the day before (in Florida ports) and have to pay for a hotel room. And parking was free as I am handicapped.

I think the Fantasy will be in the fleet for another 5 -7 years mainly because there is not a very robust used ship market and the ship itself is still marketable and in working condition.

Sir Richard will need a ship to upstart his Virgin Cruises fleet. This ship, as well as her 7 sisters, would fit the bill.

There is a document of the dismissal in this forum.

The State Court "nuisance" action was dismissed, the Federal Challenge to the permitting process necessary to build the new terminal, a challenge instigated by the same groups who were plaintiffs in the "nuisance" action, remains a huge problem.

I agree that these groups have some valid points, namely:

1) it would be preferable if all cruise ships used shore power while at dock, that way only the poor people living near the inland power plants would have to deal with the exhausts created by power production (I hope everyone knows I am trying to be facetious), and

2) The land where our terminal is presently located, right at the base of Market St, is some of the most valuable waterfront property anywhere and it does seems that we could make better use of that particular piece of property and move the cruise port up the waterfront a bit.

But if you want to know how grossly these groups overstate their positions, check out their website: http://www.charlestoncruisecontrol.org/

Our favorite is the image that shows the Whale Tail towering over Charleston as if it is about 500 stories high. You diminish your legitimate arguments when you overstate your case.

Sir Richard will need a ship to upstart his Virgin Cruises fleet. This ship, as well as her 7 sisters, would fit the bill.

Sir Richard Branson has already stated he will start his cruise line with 2 new build ships. What he does after that is anyone's guess.