Does anyone remember Big Tex?

PekingeseLady

Hi :)

After 12 years Jeremy 'Big Tex' Mayes retired. His last day

with Carnival was November 1st 2013.

He was our cruise director aboard the Splendor for a 16-day

back to back voyage May/June 2013. Terrific person!

:)

Edited by PortSideCruzan

He must have improved over the years. He is the only CD we have had that I remember his name. I didn't like him at all, his announcements were very annoying and I didn't like his hosting of the shows either. That was back in 2006 on the Fantasy.

Had the pleasure of sailing with Tex on a 15-night voyage; by far the best CD I've ever sailed with. Just a delightful guy; my kids loved him.

Hi Adrienne !

I agree...he made the Miracle repo cruise fantastic. Always a smile on his face (had nothing to do with his wife being onboard lol), and a pleasure to speak with.

His staff also spoke highly of him.

• 9 months later...

I wandered what happened to this CD, he was great, especially for us first time cruisers on the Triump. Is this the same guy who stated to us that he was married to one of the dancers on the Triump and had just bought a house in Dallas? A "Tex" who was the Cruise Director was on Triump in May of 2012. He told us he worked 10 months out of the year and was wandering out loud why he bought a house, a great personality.

I wandered what happened to this CD, he was great, especially for us first time cruisers on the Triump. Is this the same guy who stated to us that he was married to one of the dancers on the Triump and had just bought a house in Dallas? A "Tex" who was the Cruise Director was on Triump in May of 2012. He told us he worked 10 months out of the year and was wandering out loud why he bought a house, a great personality.

Big Tex retired from Carnival in the fall of 2013 to his new home.

Sent from my SGH-I527M using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...
We had Big Tex on our Fantasy cruise in 2007. I thought he was hilarious! He did a shopping cart/lawn mower/etc. dance that made my sides hurt from laughing so much.

YUP, that's him, You all remember him just as I do. Sad to see he left cruising. He'd be worth booking a cruise for just because he was CD.

I was looking at my profile and forgot I had asked this question, LOL Just loved those moves, he made us laugh so hard.

The pictures one of you posted was a few years and a few pounds less, but definitely him. Thanks for the memories everyone!!! :D

Edited by PekingeseLady

• 9 months later...

My family and I have sailed many times with Big Tex. When he was really

Big Tex and after he lost the massive amount of weight. He was always the highpoint of our cruise. We wouldn't cruise unless he was the CD. We have been on other cruise lines in the past and although we prefer Royal Caribbean we continued cruising on Carnival strictly because Big Tex made our trip the best. There is no other Cruise Director that will ever be as good as he is. Our favorite thing that he did was when he would MC the shows in the theater and told jokes. The one when he jokes about how some people can't dance so they learn a few key "dance steps" such as the sprinkler, grocery shopping, lawnmower, etc. We always laughed so hard at his "dance moves". We bought the DVD of the cruise highlights every time we cruised so we could laugh at Big Tex. My son and I always enjoyed the Breast Cancer charity walk with him. With as many new faces that he saw every week after our first cruise with him he always remembered us, not just that we looked familiar but actually remembered our names. Whatever cruise liner that he is on when I book my next trip it will also be with him.i really hope he is still a cruise director and hasn't changed jobs because it would be a huge loss for the cruise line as well as all of his fans.