departure Boston vs Phil

We are planning next year's cruise. New England departs from Boston and from Phily. Any pros & cons to either? Are their airports close enough to the port to take a cab or would that be cost prohibitive. We prefer cabs over the RCCL bus rides.

Thanks for the info.

I can tell you the Boston Terminal is the easiest pier for getting in and out. All you have to do after you check in down stairs is go up the escalator to the gangway. There are numerous ways to pull right up to the pier and the porters. It is very well laid out and for the most part very quiet. You won't have to fight passengers from 6 other ships for taxis or loading space. The airport is probably 10 minutes through the Ted Williams Tunnel that is literally yards from the Black Falcon Pier. You can see the airport from the pier. You should a couple of days early and enjoy Boston. It's a great city!

I can tell you the Boston Terminal is the easiest pier for getting in and out. All you have to do after you check in down stairs is go up the escalator to the gangway. There are numerous ways to pull right up to the pier and the porters. It is very well laid out and for the most part very quiet. You won't have to fight passengers from 6 other ships for taxis or loading space. The airport is probably 10 minutes through the Ted Williams Tunnel that is literally yards from the Black Falcon Pier. You can see the airport from the pier. You should a couple of days early and enjoy Boston. It's a great city!

Well said and a good sale pitch! I agree!

Cheryl, if you are talking about RC, cruises out of Philadelphia next summer are NOT going to Canada/New England. The ship will be the Empress of the Seas and she is doing 7-day Bermuda runs all summer, from April on.

Carol

It also depends where you live. Is it easier for you to het to PHL or to BOS?

If you live within a driving distance of one of these, then it is a no brainer (just drive to the pier and forget about airlines).

If you have to fly anyway, they from what I heard, Boston is a nicer port...

I agree with aftmdne. Both are nice ports. I would choose based an itinerary, cost and ease of geting to the port, rather than on the port itself.

Philadelphia is a nice port too. Like Boston, it is much lower keyed than NYC or most Florida ports. The only downside was that it had a long, straight gangway so if you have someone with difficulty walking, I would suggest using a wheelchair.

Archived