Where Do You Stash Your Cash?

repeater

Our next cruise hits a few sketchy ports, and I'm rying to figure out ways to keep my on-person Stuff safe in ports. I will keep a day's worth of cash in a front pocket, but where do I put my credit card, extra cash, and passport, that I want to have with me, but not in sight? I figure I can find a private place and slip some out if needed. I don't want to be lumpy, hot, or uncomfortable, if possible.

Money belts look bulky and uncomfortable, a bra-stash bag will make me lumpy, I never carry a purse, but if I did, what's to keep it from being ripped off my arm? Is a cross body bag my only option?

What do the rest of you use?

Waist belt:

http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/catalog/index.cfm?fuseaction=product&id=32

Very lightweight and comfortable.

Exactly what I would say. I have one made of light weight cotton duck. Never been uncomfortable, and it is not noticable.

Note: In the more sketchy ports I always carry a few $5 bills and say 5 or 6 $1 bills in my pocket. Also a cancelled credit card a few years old in good condition. If you get mugged and they demand your card and money, you have something to fork over. Would they check that the card is expired? probably not. Anyway, if you hand something over they may not search for more.

Jon

Our next cruise hits a few sketchy ports, and I'm rying to figure out ways to keep my on-person Stuff safe in ports. I will keep a day's worth of cash in a front pocket, but where do I put my credit card, extra cash, and passport, that I want to have with me, but not in sight? I figure I can find a private place and slip some out if needed. I don't want to be lumpy, hot, or uncomfortable, if possible.

Money belts look bulky and uncomfortable, a bra-stash bag will make me lumpy, I never carry a purse, but if I did, what's to keep it from being ripped off my arm? Is a cross body bag my only option?

You have bigger odds at getting mugged, robbed, assaulted in your own town.

And just what s your definition of sketchy?

When traveling in Europe, most chance of pick pocketing is on crowded buses, subway, etc. I wore a cross the body purse, and kept it in front of me with my hand over it when we were in crowded areas. My husband put his wallet in his front pocket, and put his hand in his pocket when in crowded areas...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I consider Nassua, Ocho Rio, in town Costa Maya, Panama, Belize City and parts of St.Thomas to name a few as Sketchy.

Oh my goodness, I loved St. Thomas. I never felt unsafe there at all. As a matter of fact when we left I told DH I would love to retire there.

A pocket is never a good idea. Very, very easy to steal from one's pocket. Waistband of your pants is good. If you are wearing sneakers, putting the money in your shoe before you put the shoe on is a good idea. I never felt unsafe enough in Nassau to hide my money, but neither do I get off the ship wearing my jewelry, or walk off the beaten path, either. I don't get off the ship in Jamaica, and doubt I would get off in other unsafe ports, either. As always, keeping your eyes open and being extremely aware of what is going on around you is probably the number 1 way to prevent being robbed. A good swift kick between the legs, or an elbow to the windpipe works as well.

I almost always carry a small coach purse - whether in the City or on an island. If you are carrying it the right way, it cannot be easily taken off your arm. I usually have it wrapped once around my wrist. If I feel unsafe, I will hold it close to my body ... but it's rare. Another option is to have a cell phone case that has room for money and a credit card. I have that, and it works well.

I spread things around between wife and I. But - almost the same as normal, but less items.

Credit cards with rubber band in left pocket. Cash folded in half in right pocket.

Ships card in back pocket.

As you can see, we travel a fair amount. Never an issue for us.

I solve the problem by leaving 90% of what you are concerned about in my safe. On shore only a copy of my passport, one credit card with 2 back in the safe, and a limited amount of cash. The phone number from the freestyle daily of the port agent in case something happens and I need to get my passport from my safe. If I lost everything it would not impact my vacation. Anyone who carries their wallet is crazy. I do have an around the neck pouch for the "skechie" ports.

Edited by time2cruise1

I put my money in my front pocket of my bermudas with a velcro closure and pin in on the inside with an industrial brand safety pin, a pickpocket would have to be really skilled to get at it. By the way, my wife had her purse lifted off the back of a chair in Costa Rica in a very elegant restaurant probably by a waiter, lost $250.00, lesson learned.

We keep the extra credit cards, extra cash, etc. in the cabin safe. Sometimes, I wear a money belt with some cash, but keep spending cash in front pocket.

I solve the problem by leaving 90% of what you are concerned about in my safe. On shore only a copy of my passport, one credit card with 2 back in the safe, and a limited amount of cash. The phone number from the freestyle daily of the port agent in case something happens and I need to get my passport from my safe. If I lost everything it would not impact my vacation. Anyone who carries their wallet is crazy. I do have an around the neck pouch for the "skechie" ports.

Reasonable, but what if I miss the ship? I can't fly home without a passport, and a photocopy is about as much good as a copy of a driver's license in trying to convince a NY cop to be lenient. I dont' even carry a wallet or purse at home! All I need is a few cards, and cash, rubber banded together, with a my car keys in my pocket. The only thing I sometimes wish for is a pen, but those are easily borrowed. If anything, I want less when I travel, not more!

Great ideas...keep 'em coming!

Oh my goodness, I loved St. Thomas. I never felt unsafe there at all. As a matter of fact when we left I told DH I would love to retire there.

A week after we were snorkeling a Coki Beach a few years back a teenage cruiseship passenger was shot and killed. Gang violence over drugs, she was in wrong place at wrong time. Coki Beach was off limits for a while.

I personally don't feel unsafe anywhere, but I realize riff-raff are out there and do take steps to still protect my valubles.

A week after we were snorkeling a Coki Beach a few years back a teenage cruiseship passenger was shot and killed. Gang violence over drugs, she was in wrong place at wrong time. Coki Beach was off limits for a while.

I personally don't feel unsafe anywhere, but I realize riff-raff are out there and do take steps to still protect my valubles.

Unfortunately, this can happen in any city, USA, or any port stop in the world. There are things that happen in life that are not good. When we are out, whether in our hometown, or on vacation, we keep a watchful eye out for our surroundings. We try to not put ourselves into a situation, but at times stuff happens.

I have a small coin purse with a key ring that I can attach to my belt or belt loop then slip the purse in my pocket, covered by. It's just big enough to hold a credit card and some cash.

I also have something similar to this:

http://www.travelonbags.com/anti-theft/anti-theft-travel-wallet Mine has a lobster-claw clasp that's difficult for me to even open. Of course, it can only protect you so much. Purse snatching? Yes. Knife to your throat? Probably not.