London Tube

We will be flying into Heathrow landing around 7:40 a.m. On a Monday morning. I am thinking of taking the Piccadilly Line into Cental London. We will be staying at the St. Ermins around the corner from the St. James station. I have two questions.

(1). I am assuming I have to switch at some point, which station would be the best?

(2). Does the St. James station have a lift or escalator to the street. If not what would be someone's advice as to where we should get off, where there are lifts or escalators, then maybe take a taxi.

I do not want to have to struggle with luggage we will have for a three week period of time, including a cruise. We will both have one large roll suitcase, alone with a large backpack and a large over the shoulder bag.

St James's Park is not a step-free station - Street level to platform is by stairs only. - I suggest getting off at Victoria and taking a taxi from there.

See more at: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/stations/1000221.aspx#sthash.40ETKEIJ.dpuf

Thank you, I believe Victoria is a short distance to our hotel.

St James's Park is not a step-free station - Street level to platform is by stairs only. - I suggest getting off at Victoria and taking a taxi from there.
Victoria has no step-free exit either.

Are stairs a complete deal-breaker for using a particular station?

If not, then getting out at St James's Park station (note the correct name) is actually not too bad. Because the District Line is a sub-surface (shallow) line, the level change from platform to street is probably equivalent to about 1½ or 2 storeys of a building. If you can manage to get your luggage up that, then the small amount of pain doing that would be easier than getting out at some other station and getting a taxi. You want the Broadway exit from the station, which is at its eastern end (the front of the train when heading into town from Heathrow).

If stairs at a station make it impossible, then one alternative is to go on to Westminster, where there is step-free exit to street level. You can get a cab from Bridge Street right outside the station (and admire the close-up view of the Houses of Parliament while you do so). The downside of this is that getting from there to the hotel involves doubling back, and your route will be dependent on the experience, skill, honesty and chutzpah of the cab driver - some will just chuck a U-turn right there, and never mind the traffic; others will go around the block in a more sedate fashion, or over the bridge until there's a safe spot to do the U-turn before coming back again.

Victoria has no step-free exit either.

Are stairs a complete deal-breaker for using a particular station?

If not, then getting out at St James's Park station (note the correct name) is actually not too bad. Because the District Line is a sub-surface (shallow) line, the level change from platform to street is probably equivalent to about 1½ or 2 storeys of a building. If you can manage to get your luggage up that, then the small amount of pain doing that would be easier than getting out at some other station and getting a taxi. You want the Broadway exit from the station, which is at its eastern end (the front of the train when heading into town from Heathrow).

If stairs at a station make it impossible, then one alternative is to go on to Westminster, where there is step-free exit to street level. You can get a cab from Bridge Street right outside the station (and admire the close-up view of the Houses of Parliament while you do so). The downside of this is that getting from there to the hotel involves doubling back, and your route will be dependent on the experience, skill, honesty and chutzpah of the cab driver - some will just chuck a U-turn right there, and never mind the traffic; others will go around the block in a more sedate fashion, or over the bridge until there's a safe spot to do the U-turn before coming back again.

Thank you for your advice. My husband has bad knees and stairs are a big problem with luggage. We will get off at the Westminster station and get a taxi. It doesn't look far. Hopefully we will have a driver that will not take us all over. Anyway it will be much cheaper this way than taking a car service into town from the airport.

We will get off at the Westminster station and get a taxi.
In which case, you probably need to know that the step-free access to street level works like this: From the District Line platform, take the lift up to the ticket hall level. You then exit through the barriers. Bear left towards the stairs that lead up to street level. To the right of those stairs (between the stairs and the newsagent) there's another lift that will take you up to street level.

In which case, you probably need to know that the step-free access to street level works like this: From the District Line platform, take the lift up to the ticket hall level. You then exit through the barriers. Bear left towards the stairs that lead up to street level. To the right of those stairs (between the stairs and the newsagent) there's another lift that will take you up to street level.

That is great information to know. Now from Heathrow, should I travel the Piccadilly line to South Kensington or Green Park to switch trains. I presume I need to make a switch somewhere to get to Westminster station.

That is great information to know. Now from Heathrow, should I travel the Piccadilly line to South Kensington or Green Park to switch trains. I presume I need to make a switch somewhere to get to Westminster station.

Neither. Switch at Baron's Court - I believe you just have to cross the platform.

Although, given you're taking a taxi anyways, I would be inclined to stay on the Picadilly line and get off at Hyde Park Corner - the Avoiding Stairs Tube Guide lists it as having escalator access to street level - locals can confirm whether this is easily done or not. Also, you can have your taxi driver pass in front of Buckingham Palace on your way to your hotel if you want. :)

Neither. Switch at Baron's Court - I believe you just have to cross the platform.
To Westminster, this is correct. If the weather is bad or it's during the morning peak, change at Hammersmith instead (one stop earlier).
Although, given you're taking a taxi anyways, I would be inclined to stay on the Picadilly line and get off at Hyde Park Corner - the Avoiding Stairs Tube Guide lists it as having escalator access to street level - locals can confirm whether this is easily done or not.
I don't know much about this station, but the interactive map suggests that there are ramps from ticket office level to street level, which wouldn't ideal for someone with luggage who has to pull it up the ramp. I don't know whether the escalators to street level are a newer installation, as the Step-free Tube guide doesn't include Hyde Park Corner as "step-free". But it's definitely a potential idea.

However, along these lines, why not Green Park, then? Lift access from platform to street, apparently.

However, along these lines, why not Green Park, then? Lift access from platform to street, apparently.

Three separate lifts, with quite a long walk between two of them, I think (direct lift from ticket hall to Victoria platform area, not Picadilly). Also a couple of short ramps along the way.

I have posted this several times in the past, but the best source of access information to/from tube stations I know is the Nationwide Disabled Access Register. It has route diagrams and photos at each stage:

http://www.directenquiries.com/londonunderground.aspx

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

Why not take The Heathrow Express. It runs from Heathrow direct into central London. Its around £30pp return a little more expensive than the tube.

The train (heathrow express) takes 15mins airport to central london and runs every 15 mins. It's geared up for pax & bags.

The tube takes a little under an hour. There is no luggage space as such, with bags being left near the doors, and can be very busy particularly in central London.

My preference: Heathrow Express.

You will have ample opportunity to use the tube if you are staying for a few days.

Heathrowexpress.com

For the tube it's tfl.gov.uk

There is an app for Iphone that gives you best routing between two points that you enter. (tube map, I think)

Hope that helps

Gx

Three separate lifts, with quite a long walk between two of them, I think (direct lift from ticket hall to Victoria platform area, not Picadilly). Also a couple of short ramps along the way.

I have posted this several times in the past, but the best source of access information to/from tube stations I know is the Nationwide Disabled Access Register. It has route diagrams and photos at each stage:

http://www.directenquiries.com/londonunderground.aspx

Thank you, that website was very helpful to actually plan the journey. It has me transferring from Hammersmith on District line or Green Park on Jubilee going to Westminster Station, depending on time getting the train. Westminster would be the best stop for us for our hotel. We are located a short distance from the station. About midway between Buckingham Place and Westminster station.

Why not take The Heathrow Express. It runs from Heathrow direct into central London. Its around £30pp return a little more expensive than the tube.
Two main reasons:-
  1. It's £21 per person one-way, which is between four and seven times the cost of the Tube. That's more than "a little more expensive".
  2. It does not go to true central London, so far as tourists are concerned, but only to Paddington. From there, it's another relatively expensive taxi journey (relative to the cost of the Tube) to most central London destinations or a difficult change to the Tube without step-free access to the platforms.

The journey time is also misleading, because it's the departure time to arrival time at the stations.

In real life, I often go from my office (near St Paul's) to Heathrow. Routing via the Heathrow Express would save me about 10 minutes over using the Tube. Given how much money that using the Tube now saves, I've stopped using the Heathrow Express except in emergencies.

Two main reasons:-

1. It's £21 per person one-way, which is between four and seven times the cost of the Tube. That's more than "a little more expensive".
  2. It does not go to true central London, so far as tourists are concerned, but only to Paddington. From there, it's another relatively expensive taxi journey (relative to the cost of the Tube) to most central London destinations or a difficult change to the Tube without step-free access to the platforms.

The journey time is also misleading, because it's the departure time to arrival time at the stations.

In real life, I often go from my office (near St Paul's) to Heathrow. Routing via the Heathrow Express would save me about 10 minutes over using the Tube. Given how much money that using the Tube now saves, I've stopped using the Heathrow Express except in emergencies.

As a Londoner, travelling with a briefcase, an umberella and a bowler hat, you WOULD use the tube. (Ok that was a bit OTT, but funny!) I doubt many "locals" use the heathrow express.

Thank you so much for putting me in my place......I'm now sat in a corner cowering!

My opinion that the heathrow express is best option still stands. It is geared up for the tourist where as the tube is geared up for the commuter.

However the tube is the cheapest.

We chose to use National Express Coach since it means not messing with luggage and we have 3 people in our party with knee problems. They have the Heathrow Hoppa for 4£ one way, 7£ return. Worth looking into, less stress than trying to look after luggage and moving between platforms, etc. been there, done that and never again. Much more reasonably priced than the train if you have a bit of extra time.

Thank you so much for putting me in my place......I'm now sat in a corner cowering!

My opinion that the heathrow express is best option still stands. It is geared up for the tourist where as the tube is geared up for the commuter.

However the tube is the cheapest.

As a daily tube user (no briefcase, rolled brolly or bowler:p) and from a purely selfish point of view, I would say to OP please use the Heathrow Express. Large suitcases in the rush hour on the tube are no fun for anybody.

Edited by SteveH2508

We chose to use National Express Coach since it means not messing with luggage and we have 3 people in our party with knee problems. They have the Heathrow Hoppa for 4£ one way, 7£ return. Worth looking into, less stress than trying to look after luggage and moving between platforms, etc. been there, done that and never again. Much more reasonably priced than the train if you have a bit of extra time.

Thank you for the advice. I have just looked into National Express and it would work if we fly into terminal 1 -3, with a drop off at Victoria Coach Station which is an hour trip. We would then take a mile cab ride to hotel. On the other hand, if we go into terminal 4, it would be over about a two hour trip and the time doesn't work with our arrival. Does't make much sense.

We are flying Delta from the US in August and not sure what terminal we will arrive in.

Do you know how much advance time to book to get the better pricing? The currently very reasonable, but without knowing where we fly into, I couldn't commit.

As a Londoner, travelling with a briefcase, an umberella and a bowler hat, you WOULD use the tube. (Ok that was a bit OTT, but funny!) I doubt many "locals" use the heathrow express.

As a daily tube user (no briefcase, rolled brolly or bowler:p) and from a purely selfish point of view, I would say to OP please use the Heathrow Express. Large suitcases in the rush hour on the tube are no fun for anybody.
Sorry to ged1967; I didn't mean to come across like that.

But I think that it is important that tourists are aware that of the real duration and cost of a journey using Heathrow Express if they are trying to balance that against the duration and cost of using the Tube.

And I'm sorry to disappoint SteveH2508, because I'm using the Tube even if I'm also taking my companion's full size suitcase in addition to my own (for which my penance is to have to carry them both upstairs at a station without step-free access). But being a daily Tube user, I'm very good at not getting in the way of other people.

Sorry to ged1967; I didn't mean to come across like that.

But I think that it is important that tourists are aware that of the real duration and cost of a journey using Heathrow Express if they are trying to balance that against the duration and cost of using the Tube.

And I'm sorry to disappoint SteveH2508, because I'm using the Tube even if I'm also taking my companion's full size suitcase in addition to my own (for which my penance is to have to carry them both upstairs at a station without step-free access). But being a daily Tube user, I'm very good at not getting in the way of other people.

Fortunately I do not use the Piccadilly line to commute to work each day. Friday afternoon after a few beers in the British Legion it carries me home (sometimes I miss my stop because I become a Dozy Old Hector!):rolleyes:

Thank you for the advice. I have just looked into National Express and it would work if we fly into terminal 1 -3, with a drop off at Victoria Coach Station which is an hour trip. We would then take a mile cab ride to hotel. On the other hand, if we go into terminal 4, it would be over about a two hour trip and the time doesn't work with our arrival. Does't make much sense.

We are flying Delta from the US in August and not sure what terminal we will arrive in.

Do you know how much advance time to book to get the better pricing? The currently very reasonable, but without knowing where we fly into, I couldn't commit.

I just googled Delta Heathrow terminal and found that as of April 2, 2014 Delta will fly into terminal 3 if you are coming in from Boston, NY or Seattle. It seems like the bus rate is standard, not changing as mini-fares are sold.

I don't understand the reference to the Hoppa in this context (although it is a service run by National Express). The Hoppa only serves Heathrow area hotels.

I don't understand the reference to the Hoppa in this context (although it is a service run by National Express). The Hoppa only serves Heathrow area hotels.

I may have gotten confused by the hotel name but National Coach will take you from terminal 4 to Victoria for just under £9 each. May be a fare that changes but a great choice for those with luggage looking for an economical journey that is more or less stress free.

From what I have found today, Delta from Atlanta will remain in terminal 4. Therefore, it would be in our best interest to take the tube. Service from terminal 4 for National Express Coach to Victoria Coach Station takes too long and the times do not coincide with our arrival and allowing time for customs.

Thanks for everyone's input, it has been very helpful.

From what I have found today, Delta from Atlanta will remain in terminal 4. Therefore, it would be in our best interest to take the tube. Service from terminal 4 for National Express Coach to Victoria Coach Station takes too long and the times do not coincide with our arrival and allowing time for customs.

Thanks for everyone's input, it has been very helpful.

Do they run direct services from T4? I thought they (almost) all went from Heathrow central bus station at T1-3. You could always get the free train transfer (every 15 minutes) from T4 across to the central station, but the tube is a good option from T4, if you don't mind its relative lack of comfort.

I flew from T4 over the weekend and I had forgotten how remote it feels from the rest of Heathrow - I drove and began to think I had missed it in the fog :)