In this situation Would you pick anytime or set time dining?

erinmarie424

We're going on a four day cruise which includes a late stop in Cozumel. We will not be eating on the ship that night. We may or may not eat in the MDR on elegant night, but will for sure on the first and last nights. We like set dining but don't want to offend our tablemates if we do not show up for one or two nights...... and know that if we pick set time dining we cannot switch to anytime dining.

Which would you pick?

i don't understand the problem with Anytime dining -- i want anytime dining so i can eat when i want to -- when i a hungry, and without having to wait for some other unconnected party to be seated with me.

Always do Anytime dining and lose the stress!

Don't you have to wait for a table to be available when you want to eat? I am on a similar cruise as OP and I am doing traditional dining.

My two attempts at Anytime have been bad... 20-30 min waits for tables, less than stellar service, food not hot.

Just curious. I may give it a whirl again in a few weeks if things have improved.

The secret to anytime dining is the TIME you actually go... don't try for 7:30 or 8pm on Formal night, because you will have a wait.

Done ATD 3 times now.. usually choosing to dine sometime between 6:30 and 7/7:15 pm. Have never had more than a 3 to 5 minute wait.

We're going on a four day cruise which includes a late stop in Cozumel. We will not be eating on the ship that night. We may or may not eat in the MDR on elegant night, but will for sure on the first and last nights. We like set dining but don't want to offend our tablemates if we do not show up for one or two nights...... and know that if we pick set time dining we cannot switch to anytime dining.

Which would you pick?

If you go with traditional - because that is what you prefer - just mention to your table mates and or the wait staff on night 1 that you will not be there nights 2 and 3.

It's not a big deal. We always do that when we know we will be going to the steakhouse or staying late in a port - if we use traditional seating. ;)

Edited by happy cruzin

This is your cruise, choose what's best for you and your family... As a courtesy, you can mention your plans to the tablemates but it is your decision. Enjoy your vacation..:)

Exactly! If you are choosing traditional dining because you like to meet and get to know your table mates, you may want to consider foregoing it this trip if you won't be there 2 of the nights. If you prefer it for the convenience of not having the possibility of a wait and the hassle of a pager, then it is perfectly fine to go ahead and book it, just let your table mates and waitstaff know your plans.

Next cruise: Carnival Breeze June 2014

if you're worried about offending tablemates, don't sweat it too much. If you're not there they'll probably enjoy themselves anyway. Or if you mention night 1 that you might not be around the next couple nights at least they'd expect it.

other than that, sounds like you'd like anytime dining anyway. As mentioned, a couple nights you may have a wait, so be early.

if you're worried about offending tablemates, don't sweat it too much. If you're not there they'll probably enjoy themselves anyway. Or if you mention night 1 that you might not be around the next couple nights at least they'd expect it.

other than that, sounds like you'd like anytime dining anyway. As mentioned, a couple nights you may have a wait, so be early.

SO, is it true that if you are on "assigned" (early or late) dining, that everyone assigned to the table must be present before they start service??

SO, is it true that if you are on "assigned" (early or late) dining, that everyone assigned to the table must be present before they start service??

No. I was on short cruise where the table mates didn't come for a bit. After about 5 minutes, the waiter was happy to start serving me. They did show up later, so the poor waiter and assistant were running more than usual.

Kind of rude to show up late and throw things off for the poor staff.

ATD!! That's the way to go.

Ever since we started doing ATD 6 years ago, we've only had to wait more than 5 minutes for a table ONCE.