Azamara Journey China and Japan Trip Report

puppypundit

Hi Everyone,

Cruise Critic just published the review of my 2014-02-17 sailing on Azamara Journey.

Warning: It's really long and more like a collection of vignettes than a quick review. Sorry about that, maybe my review is a little too destination immersion ;).

Anyway, here is a little sample including a section that I had edited out the review because it needed a photo.:

XIAMEN, CHINA

The ferry terminal to Gulangyu Island was crowded with fashionably-dressed young couples, wedding parties and holidaying families.

While waiting in line for the ferry, vendors tried to sell us cheap toys and souvenirs. At one point an old beggar man approached with the standard issue tin cup.

Another man rushed over and slapped the cup out of his hand and chased him away. It was a bit shocking the way he was treated.

We paid 15 yuan ($2.50 USD) for the round trip. It only took around 5 minutes to cross. Glad we hadn't opted for the high-speed ferry.

Gulangyu Island is an old colonial outpost that has been transformed into something like the Chinese version of Vieux Québec.

There are churches and villas behind fortification walls. The villas have been transformed into hotels or restored to their original splendour and you must pay a fee to visit.

There are also gardens built around natural stone formations the major one being Sunlight Rock. The brave can climb to the summit of Sunlight Rock.

I had done brave at breakfast so instead, Gill and I just strolled around looking at the gardens and architecture and chatting about our mutual love of travel, whales and animals in general. We got along very well.

Suddenly, these two twenty-something Chinese girls approached us and with fairly decent English pronunciation asked if we wouldn't mind taking a picture with them. I assumed that they meant take a picture #of# them.

Nope, Gill understood immediately and we posed with one while the other took the snapshot, then switched. Apparently, blonde hair and blue eyes are as deserving a photo opportunity as Sunlight Rock.

They were super sweet and thanked us politely. Then...out of the blue the most alien thing appeared before us.

It was an animal, low to the ground with gigantic feet and the most mournful expression probably due to the fact that its ears were weighing its head down so much that it needed to lean against the gate for support...see attached picture.

409007723.jpg

Loved your review, I wish we could have gotten together at the CC meeting. I was one who was interested in scuba, but already had other trips booked. I feel the same about Japan as you do, luckily I had the chance to live outside Tokyo for 2 years waaay back, also in Okinawa. I envy you your independence, I used to be able to take off and explore like you do. BTW, if you ever get back to Tokyo, check out Kawagoe, a town that was spared the WWII bombs and looks a lot like old Edo. We spent the whole first day there, could have been there longer, but had to get back for the Azamazing evening.

Thank you for your detailed review...we have enjoyed two Azamara cruises, yet have been concerned about booking a third because the ships haven't been fully updated in such a long time and we fear that they are worn. But in spite of considerable research, we can't find another cruise line that is such a good fit for us...your fun and detailed review reminds us of what we love about them.

Thank you for your detailed review...we have enjoyed two Azamara cruises, yet have been concerned about booking a third because the ships haven't been fully updated in such a long time and we fear that they are worn. But in spite of considerable research, we can't find another cruise line that is such a good fit for us...your fun and detailed review reminds us of what we love about them.

Oh, not at all worn out. Maybe not brand-spankin' new but everything that I saw was clean and in good repair. Doing my research on Cruise Critic, all the comments about chair hogs and crowds on the bigger ships confirm that Azamara is the best fit for me, too.

Thanks for all the nice comments, everyone. Silkismom, if I get back to Japan, I'll be sure to give you a buzz for more insider tips.

I enjoyed your very comprehensive review. It was like being there with you and the rest of the fantastic crew and passengers. What a great attitude! Thosse who met you on the Journey were lucky indeed. Your review made me dream about an Azamara Asian cruise now that our plan to go to the Baltics no longer appears to be a good idea.

Next time you visit Japan, you must make it to Nara. The deer trying to eat out of our pockets is an all time favorite memory.

Dear puppypundit: You are a writer! And your personality and great attitude come shining through.

We, too had our cruise sadly interrupted in Japan (earthquake) and I so agree about how wonderfully Azamara handled everything.

Next time you visit Japan, you must make it to Nara. The deer trying to eat out of our pockets is an all time favorite memory.

Thanks everyone…you are too nice.

Dididi, I would have loved to make the trip to Nara but the bowing deer wouldn't have all fit in my suitcase. How could anyone leave all of that cuteness behind?

Maryann from Nova Scotia, you were on a cruise during a Japanese earthquake? Holy Poodles! That must have been scary. Much scarier than when I got caught in Halifax during hurricane Earl.

No it was not scary. We were in Nagasaki at the time and didn't feel a thing. In fact we emailed home from a cybercafe and our family knew we must be OK since we emailed after the time of the earthquake and did not feel a thing.

However we left port a few minutes early, supposedly in case of a tsunami though the time had likely passed for that.

We missed Osaka and got to Busan and then Shanghai early but an extra night in each of these ports was no hardship.

Wonderful Captain Karl barely slept for a couple days trying to sort things out and we were kept well informed.

Hi again, everyone!

In case anyone was interested in reading about the side-trip to the mountains that I took while overnighting in Tokyo, it was just published here at independenttraveler.com.

Again, it's probably too long but it was a huge deal for me so I captured every detail. I would probably go on and on less if I were blessed with photography skills. :rolleyes:

Thank you very much for such an interesting and informative review. You certainly enjoyed some bad luck, but you took it all on the chin and showed a commendable positive attitude throughout. Others could learn a lot from you.

A great review. I am glad like us you managed to fill the gap caused by the change in plans.

As someone currently in China with hair that was sun bleached on my Caribbean trip your hair episode amuses me. Today (and this is not the first time it's happened) a little child has pulled my hair believing it is a comedy wig (well I have had a couple of bad hair days due to the smog) :)