Reveal Your 2014 Alaska Itinerary Plans

Italy52

The Alaska cruise season is just around the corner. Time to reveal your itinerary plans for 2014. There have been numerous posts from people asking about excursions --- maybe, some of our plans can be of help. I'll kick the thread off with my B2B itinerary on the Millennium.

Vancouver---Embark the Millennium for Northbound Cruise

Inside Passage---Cruising

Ketchikan---Bering Sea Crab Fishermen

Icy Strait---Glacier Wind Whale Watching

Juneau---Harv & Marv Whale Watching

Skagway---TBD

Hubbard Glacier---Cruising

Seward---Kenai Fjords National Park Tour

Seward---Embark the Millennium for Southbound Cruise

Juneau---Weather Permitting Whale Watching

Skagway---TBD

Icy Strait---F.I.S.H.E.S Whale Watching

Ketchikan---Island Wings Anan Bear Viewing Excursion

Vancouver-Disembark Millennium

Your turn. :)

We're doing a 7 day northbound Vancouver to Whittier on NCL Sun after 10 days in the Canadian Rockies....

Vancouver---Embark Sun for Northbound Cruise

Ketchikan---Shopping for a new waterproof jacket. Not quite as sad as it sounds, we try and buy something which we will remember every time we use it. The last jacket we bought was for an Everest Base Camp expedition so it's been well used and loved.

Juneau---Private Rum Runners Whale Watching tour

Skagway---Yet to be booked, but pretty sure we'll try the Helicopter Glacier tour with TEMSCO

Glacier Bay---Cruising

Whittier----Onward flight to Iceland !

Can't wait, and all this thanks to advice from the Sun Lovers on CC. Thanx!

Edited by Babyeddiedog
Spelling

We will be on the Vancouver to Seward cruise on Celebrity Millennium leaving July 4th. I was in Alaska before and went bear watching in Ketchikan, whale watching in Juneau and on a float plane over the glaciers in Juneau - all through he cruise line two years ago. We did see a number of black bear and groups of whales and it was really amazing.

The only new port for me is Icy Strait Point.

Our ports are:

• Ketchikan
  • Icy Strait Point
  • Juneau
  • Skagway

Looking for any ideas of activities we can do that involve glaciers, whales, or even bears. Or any other unique and great experiences. The original time I was in Alaska, I was with my mom. This time I am going with my husband who has not been. So... tell me your ideas.

Also, I'd like more personal tours this time, so I am eager to hear of recommendations that do not necessarily go through the cruise line. I assume I better book soon.

Thanks!

Jodi

black%20bears%20in%20alaska-14%20ps%20edit-X3.jpg

Fairbanks - day open

Fairbanks- gold dredge/ river boat

Denali- afternoon free

Denali- TWT

McKinley -

McKinley- Devil's Canyon Adventure

Cruise

Hubbard Glacier

Glacier bay

Skagway- Red Onion, summit, and suspension bridge

Juneau- Alaska's whales and Mendenhall glacier trail

Ketchikan- lumberjack

I was in Alaska before and went bear watching in Ketchikan, whale watching in Juneau and on a float plane over the glaciers in Juneau - all through he cruise line two years ago. We did see a number of black bear

What excursion did you take in Ketchikan to see bears? We are considering the Coastal Wildlife Cruise but are undecided. It appears to be popular and almost sold out.

Seattle - fresh seafood!

Juneau - Whale watch & Mendenhall Glacier/Gastineau Guiding - tram in eve if good weather

Skagway -- Green Jeep rental to Emerald Lake

Glacier Bay -- scenic cruising

Ketchikan -- Coastal Wildlife Cruise ~or~ just walk around town/see totems/Discovery Center

Victoria -- shuttle/walking tour

Seattle -- Ballard Locks tour

Radiance of the Seas - May 16th and May 23rd

Vancouver - Night at Pan Pacific hotel at Canada Place

Inside Passage - Cruising

Ketchikan - Misty Fiords and Wilderness Explorer by boat

ISP - walk around

Juneau - possible Whale Watch with Capt. Larry's ORCA Enterprises with Mendenhall glacier drop off

Skagway - Shuttle to town, walk around

Hubbard Glacier - Cruising

Seward - Kenai Fiords cruise

Juneau - Mt. Roberts tram with lunch at the top

Skagway - Chilkoot Charters - 7 hr. Discover the Yukon by bus

ISP - Walk around

Ketchikan - Creek Street, tram to see Totems and Annabelle's for lunch

Vancouver - Alaska Airlines fly home

We are doing a Cruisetour.

Calgary . Sightseeing

Banff. Sulphur mountains

Jasper. Ice explorer excursion. Over night on the VIA rail to Vancouver

Vancouver. City tour.

British Columbia. City tour sightseeing.

Return to Vancouver to board Radiance of the Seas.

Inside Passage. Cruising.

Ketchikan

Icy Strait Point

Juneau. Whale Watching. Harv & Marv

Skagway. Chilkoot Charters. White Pass Summit.

Hubbard Glacier. Cruising

Seward.

Plenty of gaps still to fill on the cruise part, hope to pick up some ideas on here.

----------------------

Gaynor.

Oasis of the Seas August 2013

Independent of the Seas August 2008.

There are my notes for our Amsterdam 14 days in August.

24-Aug-14 Seattle, WA

25-Aug-14 Vancouver Island Cruising 11:00 AM CC Meet and Greet

Capitan's Corner Crow's Nest

26-Aug-14 Ketchikan Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show. Totem Park (Free). Salmon Running at Creek Street (Free)

27-Aug-14 Tracy Arm Cruising Only

28-Aug-14 Juneau Mt. Roberts Tram. Dog Sledding. Mendenhal Glacier? $3 ages 16+. Looking into Juneau Car Rental Company or blue bus shuttle service ($16 pp round trip).

29-Aug-14 Icy Strait (Tender) WALK into Hoonah (Native Alaskan Village). It's a long walk, but we have time, and the girls can look for Bald Eagles in the trees. Visit Office Bar for a drink and Cannery Museum for souvenirs.

30-Aug-14 At Sea!

31-Aug-14 Anchorage Anchorage Zoo $15 adults; $7 kids. Free shuttle from downtown Anchorage. Alaska Museum of Science and Nature $5 adults $3 kids!

1-Sep-14 Homer The Spit? Salty Dawg Saloon

2-Sep-14 Kodiak ??

3-Sep-14 Hubbard Glacier Cruising Only

4-Sep-14 Sitka (tender) Alaska Raptor Center $12 adults, $6 kids. 1 mile easy walk from pier. Fortress of the Bear. Shuttle from the pier for $3 per person. (This is our 10 year wedding anniversary :) )

5-Sep-14 At Sea!

6-Sep-14 Victoria, BC Walk around. Nothing planned. Pack.

7-Sep-14 Seattle, WA

Edited by AlohaPride

Radiance of the Seas - May 16th and May 23rd

Vancouver - Night at Pan Pacific hotel at Canada Place

Ketchikan - Misty Fiords and Wilderness Explorer by boat

ISP - walk around

Juneau - possible Whale Watch with Capt. Larry's ORCA Enterprises with Mendenhall glacier drop off

Skagway - Shuttle to town, walk around

Seward - Kenai Fiords cruise

Juneau - Mt. Roberts tram with lunch at the top

Skagway - Chilkoot Charters - 7 hr. Discover the Yukon by bus

ISP - Walk around

Ketchikan - Creek Street, tram to see Totems and Annabelle's for lunch

Vancouver - Alaska Airlines fly home

Travel bug - if you do the Chilcoot Yukon by bus on Northbound, you will be in the group with me and my husband? See you at the pan pacific bar 5/15.

Lynn

My itinerary-

Ft Lauderdale to Vancouver (long morning) gain 3 hours.

Vancouver- Stanley Park and HOHO trolley.

Capilano suspension Bridge in am then Board Radiance of the Seas

Inside Passage- Cruising

Ketchikan- Wilderness explorer & Crab Feast.

ISP- Misty Bay Lodge Whale Watch

Juneau- Mendenhall Glacier by shuttle bus on own then 5 Glacier flight seeing and Taku lodge salmon bake. Then Mt Roberts Tram if weather is nice.

Skagway- Chilkoot Charters discover the Yukon to Emerald Lake

Hubbard Glacier-Cruising

Seward- start cruise tour, Sealife Center then bus to Alyeska lodge stay and tram ride up mountain.

Stop in Anchorage for lunch and bus to Talkeetna.

If weather is good- flight seeing to Mt. McKinley with glacier landing.

Meet mayor Stubbs the cat in town of Talkeetna.

Drive to Denali- TWT overnight in Denali.

Morning free in Denali then Train to Anchorage. (Husbands birthday)

Overnight in Anchorage.

Rent car for day- drive to portage glacier for 1 hour cruise.

Alaska wildlife Conservation Center.

Maybe- CrowCreek pan for gold.

Delta Airlines overnight back to Florida. Lose 4 hours :(

Travel bug - if you do the Chilcoot Yukon by bus on Northbound, you will be in the group with me and my husband? See you at the pan pacific bar 5/15.

Lynn

Lynn,

Chilkoot must have added an earlier time for the 7 hr. tour. That's cutting it pretty close since we leave at 4:30, but you should be fine.....Chilkoot has a very good reputation to keep.

I'll stick with the tour on the Southbound since we're in Skagway until 8:30PM. I'll have time to shop afterwards.

But, definitely will see you at the PP.

Ann

23-Aug-14 fly to Seattle. Visit Space Needle, ferry ride to Bainbridge Island.

24-Aug-14 Pike Market before boarding. - embark Seattle, WA

26-Aug-14 Ketchikan - Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour

28-Aug-14 Juneau - Glacier & Whales photo safari. Mt Roberts Tram (weather permitting)

29-Aug-14 Icy Strait (Tender) Cannery Tour, walk through trails

30-Aug-14 At Sea!

31-Aug-14 Anchorage - rent car. Drive north to Matanuska Glacier for hike. Possible other stops include Hatcher Pass, Independence Mine, Iditarod Headquarters

1-Sep-14 Homer - The Spit, guided hike at Nature Center

2-Sep-14 Kodiak - 3 hour tour with Memory Makers (or bear flying if I win the lottery)

4-Sep-14 Sitka (tender) Alaska Raptor Center. Fortress of the Bear.

5-Sep-14 At Sea!

6-Sep-14 Victoria, BC - Buchart Gardens (probably).

7-Sep-14 Seattle, WA - disembark - fly home

28-Aug-14 Juneau - Glacier & Whales photo safari. Mt Roberts Tram (weather permitting)

30-Aug-14 At Sea!

31-Aug-14 Anchorage - rent car. Drive north to Matanuska Glacier for hike. Possible other stops include Hatcher Pass, Independence Mine, Iditarod Headquarters

2-Sep-14 Kodiak - 3 hour tour with Memory Makers (or bear flying if I win the lottery)

5-Sep-14 At Sea!

Looks like we have the same plans for Sitka. Is the guided hike at the Spit through HAL?

June 25: DTW to Vancouver (late arrival)

June 26: Explore Vancouver/hang out with internet friends

June 27: Depart NB cruise

June 28: sea day/inside passage

June 29: Ketchikan - Misty Fjords Explorer, then self-guided tour

June 30: Icy Straight Point - zipline

July 1: Juneau - Harv & Marv, Mt. Roberts tram (weather depending)

July 2: Skagway - Chilkoot Charter: train up/bus down

July 3: Hubbard Glacier/sea day

July 4: Disembark @ Seward - Prince William Sound Glacier tour, airport drop off. Rent a car, head to Girdwood

July 4&5: Two nights in Girdwood B&B (no plans yet)

July 6 - 8: Seward. Only planned a Kenai Fjords Northwestern cruise.

July 9: Anchorage with a very early July 10 flight home

There are a lot of gaps, still. We'll get there. We've got the most important to us parts booked!

30-Aug-14 At Sea!

5-Sep-14 At Sea!

Like this itinerary. May I ask which cruise line? Did not know any leaving from Seattle went to Anchorage.

Like this itinerary. May I ask which cruise line? Did not know any leaving from Seattle went to Anchorage.

Holland America. They are only doing it 4 times this year. It's an awesome 14 trip, and includes Homer and Kodiak which very few cruises go to.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

It was thru Celebrity - I want to say it was called Neets Bay. But I could be slightly off in the name. We took a float plane there.

What excursion did you take in Ketchikan to see bears? We are considering the Coastal Wildlife Cruise but are undecided. It appears to be popular and almost sold out.

I was one of those individuals who relied heavily on the comments and advice from CC members.

Here is what we finally booked:

Cruise Portion:

Ketchikan - Bering Sea Crab Fishermen's Tour

Juneau - Taku Lodge Feast & 5-Glacier Seaplane Discovery

(if any time or energy left Mt. Roberts Tramway)

Skagway - Red Onion Saloon Breakfast Tour & White Pass & Yukon Railroad

Land Portion:

Whitter / Talkeetna (Arrival Day) Evening Three Rivers Tour

Talkeetna (Full Day) - TAT Grand Denali Flightseeing w/ Glacier Landing

Talkeetna / Denali (Arrival Day) Evening Denali Jeep Backcountry Safari

Denali - (Full Day) Kantishna Experience

Denali / Fairbanks (Arrival Day) Alaskan Salmon Bake & Palace Theater Show

Fairbanks (Full Day) AM Gold Dredge 8 & Afternoon Riverboat Cruise

Fairbanks (Departure Day) Transfer to FAI

We know this is extensive but we also know we are unlikely to every be able to return.

We're doing a Seattle RT on Grand Princess:

Sun: boarding

Mon: at sea

Tue: Ketchikan

-KTN-880 Neets Bay Bear Cruise

-KTN-630 Coastal Wildlife Cruise*

Wed: Tracy Arm then Junea

-TA1-660 Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer

-JNU-700 Whale Watching & Mendenhall Glacier Photo Safari

Thu: Skagway

-SGY-700 Haines Wilderness River Adventure

Fri: at sea

Sat: Victoria

-YYJ-600 Ocean Wildlife & Orca Exploration Cruise

Sun: sniff sniff, back to reality :(

* I've discovered that these two excursions are operated by the same company on the same boat, and they've invited me to remain on the boat as it transits from one excursion's start/finish point to the second excursion's start/finish point so there's no risk of getting caught up between buses.

If I can put all of the pieces together in time, I'm hoping to take three cameras and four lenses: 600mm with a 1.4x, 200-400mm with a built-in 1.4x, 24-70mm, and 15mm. I think that'll work great for eagles/far-away wildlife, whales, general stuff, and landscapes. :)

Tue: Ketchikan

-KTN-880 Neets Bay Bear Cruise

-KTN-630 Coastal Wildlife Cruise*

* I've discovered that these two excursions are operated by the same company on the same boat, and they've invited me to remain on the boat as it transits from one excursion's start/finish point to the second excursion's start/finish point so there's no risk of getting caught up between buses.

When are you going? We are going on the Golden at the end of May and are signed up for the Coastal Wildlife Cruise in Ketchikan. I've only been able to find a few reviews so we're a little hesitant about it. Right now there's only 1 spot left so it appears to be popular. I was under the impression from the vendor's website they do the Coastal Wildlife Cruise in May/June, and the Neets Bay Bear Cruise in July/Aug, so you must be going about the overlap period?

If you have any other info or insight on this tour I'd love to hear it! (I think I've seen your pictures posted here from a previous Alaska cruise and they were great:))

When are you going? We are going on the Golden at the end of May and are signed up for the Coastal Wildlife Cruise in Ketchikan. I've only been able to find a few reviews so we're a little hesitant about it. Right now there's only 1 spot left so it appears to be popular. I was under the impression from the vendor's website they do the Coastal Wildlife Cruise in May/June, and the Neets Bay Bear Cruise in July/Aug, so you must be going about the overlap period?

If you have any other info or insight on this tour I'd love to hear it! (I think I've seen your pictures posted here from a previous Alaska cruise and they were great:))

We're on the Grand July 20-27, which apparently is the overlap period. I only realized the overlap when I stared at the pictures in the Excursion guide, tracked down the operator, and saw that they do both tours, so I emailed them. I'll agree that some of the reviews are iffy.

On our last Alaska cruise, another passenger spoke VERY highly of a floatplane excursion out of Juneau they did to an island where bears are feeding. Both guides carried some serious guns with them to defend the participants, but the bears were so happy to nab salmon they didn't care about the people. That trip isn't offered on our Juneau stop or I'd be doing that and canceling several others. I've since learned that the truly best bear stuff is off Anon Creek, but apparently none of the Ketchikan floatplane operators have permits for the day we're in KTN.

I'm honestly on the fence for either/both KTN excursions, and may drop one or both with unknown plans to substitute. I know I'm facing a long day in Tracy Arm + Juneau plus a moderate day out of Skagway. I'm generally avoiding floatplanes due to the cramped space and the sheer volume of photo gear I'd want to take.

We're on the Grand July 20-27, which apparently is the overlap period. I only realized the overlap when I stared at the pictures in the Excursion guide, tracked down the operator, and saw that they do both tours, so I emailed them. I'll agree that some of the reviews are iffy.

On our last Alaska cruise, another passenger spoke VERY highly of a floatplane excursion out of Juneau they did to an island where bears are feeding. Both guides carried some serious guns with them to defend the participants, but the bears were so happy to nab salmon they didn't care about the people. That trip isn't offered on our Juneau stop or I'd be doing that and canceling several others. I've since learned that the truly best bear stuff is off Anon Creek, but apparently none of the Ketchikan floatplane operators have permits for the day we're in KTN.

I'm honestly on the fence for either/both KTN excursions, and may drop one or both with unknown plans to substitute. I know I'm facing a long day in Tracy Arm + Juneau plus a moderate day out of Skagway. I'm generally avoiding floatplanes due to the cramped space and the sheer volume of photo gear I'd want to take.

The only Juneau plane/bear trip offered on our cruise is JNU-875 Whales, Bears, and Glaciers Adventure for $579pp. While I am happy to pay for a great experience in Alaska, that is at the top of our price point, and I've read some reviews where they didn't see bears. I would be heartbroken to spend that much and not see any.

In Juneau we currently have the Whale Watch/Glacier Photo Safari with Gastineau Guiding planned. I've read many good reviews on this excursion, but my one hesitation is that we'd like to spend more time at Mendenhall and hike to Nugget Falls. I emailed the vendor and they said we'd have to stay after the excursion on our own to go to Nugget Falls, but that it was well worth the time and effort. I guess we'd take the MGT bus back to town on our own.

When you emailed the vendor about the Coastal Wildlife Cruise did they say where the trip goes? When I asked about this trip here on CC a few weeks ago, several posters said not to chance a trip that wouldn't say specifically where they go. I noticed reviews go back at least 6 years so I would hope the cruise lines wouldn't continue to offer an excursion that received poor feedback.

I wish I had a crystal ball to tell me what would be the best option for us!:) At least we have Skagway nailed down with a deposit on Green Jeeps already.

Edited by Paula_MacFan

The only Juneau plane/bear trip offered on our cruise is JNU-875 Whales, Bears, and Glaciers Adventure for $579pp. While I am happy to pay for a great experience in Alaska, that is at the top of our price point, and I've read some reviews where they didn't see bears. I would be heartbroken to spend that much and not see any.

I saw that, and I think I decided to skip it because it was so questionable on bear viewing location. I'm possibly going to be carrying two 8-9 pound lenses that essentially need to be on a monopod (they're 20-25" long when ready for use). As much as I'm willing to hike wherever to get the shot, I don't want to just go for a stroll and hope we see something. I also don't think I can get those lenses into a floatplane with me.

In Juneau we currently have the Whale Watch/Glacier Photo Safari with Gastineau Guiding planned. I've read many good reviews on this excursion, but my one hesitation is that we'd like to spend more time at Mendenhall and hike to Nugget Falls. I emailed the vendor and they said we'd have to stay after the excursion on our own to go to Nugget Falls, but that it was well worth the time and effort. I guess we'd take the MGT bus back to town on our own.

The Photo Safari is definitely fantastic!

When you emailed the vendor about the Coastal Wildlife Cruise did they say where the trip goes? When I asked about this trip here on CC a few weeks ago, several posters said not to chance a trip that wouldn't say specifically where they go. I noticed reviews go back at least 6 years so I would hope the cruise lines wouldn't continue to offer an excursion that received poor feedback.

CWC goes to Carroll Inlet, definitely different than Neets Bay. http://www.snowscove.com/Pricing.html