What to do thats not all beach? Parents 45th anniversary trip and want to plan it...

rene194215

Hello! My parents are going on a cruise in May going to Grand Turk, LaRomana, Curacao and Aruba. My mom has been on 1 cruise to the Bahamas but she also had been there before as has my dad. Otherwise their travels have been in the US. They have not been to any Islands before and I am trying to find excursions that they will both feel comfortable doing. Althought thier anniversary is in July, (45 years!!!) they are going away a bit earlier.

One curve ball is that my dad had burned his leg a few years ago and it needs to be covered. He can go to the beach but in the shade with the leg covered most of the time. Some sun with sunscreen on is ok. My mom cannot walk a LONG time due to s foot issue. Other wise they are in great shape!!

So, what it comes down to is that I am looking for something, possibly a tour of the Island? Not a lot of beachy type excursions. I have not been to these islands before so I really cant think of much. I looked at Carnivals excursions and am not that excited about most of them. I would appreciate any help and advise!!!

Also, I am posting this on each Island forum.

Hello! My parents are going on a cruise in May going to Grand Turk, LaRomana, Curacao and Aruba. My mom has been on 1 cruise to the Bahamas but she also had been there before as has my dad. Otherwise their travels have been in the US. They have not been to any Islands before and I am trying to find excursions that they will both feel comfortable doing. Althought thier anniversary is in July, (45 years!!!) they are going away a bit earlier.

One curve ball is that my dad had burned his leg a few years ago and it needs to be covered. He can go to the beach but in the shade with the leg covered most of the time. Some sun with sunscreen on is ok. My mom cannot walk a LONG time due to s foot issue. Other wise they are in great shape!!

So, what it comes down to is that I am looking for something, possibly a tour of the Island? Not a lot of beachy type excursions. I have not been to these islands before so I really cant think of much. I looked at Carnivals excursions and am not that excited about most of them. I would appreciate any help and advise!!!

Also, I am posting this on each Island forum.

I second the tour recommendation, but I would add a surprise stop for Lunch at Reef & Beef. Shabby Chic, fun, honest and competitive on price for a family meal. Menu changes daily dependent on what fish was caught that morning.

Bully is on vacation for the month of May so he probably won't be available to do your tour. Reef and Beef? Where is that? I haven't heard of it before.

Reef and Beef Aruba

Dr. Horacio Oduber blv. #4, Palm - Eagle Beach 0000, Aruba

A little gem:D

• 3 weeks later...
This thread will get you started on your research

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974050

Hi Arubalisa!

I was finally able to kind of narrow down some points of interest my parents would like. First they are very religious so the Alto Vista Chapel, Lourdes Grotto and St Anna Church are right up their ally.

Also,

Aruba's Aloe Factory Tour

Fort Zoutman & King Willem III Tower

Baby natural bridge

Caves

Natural Pool if time permits

Rock Formations

California Dunes & Lighthouse

Now I saw from threds that Bullys will not be available in May? What other options might they have? Like I said the religious would be perfect but also many of the sites near the water would be great. Is there another tour operator you could suggest?

Hi Arubalisa!

I was finally able to kind of narrow down some points of interest my parents would like. First they are very religious so the Alto Vista Chapel, Lourdes Grotto and St Anna Church are right up their ally.

Also,

Aruba's Aloe Factory Tour

Fort Zoutman & King Willem III Tower

Baby natural bridge

Caves

Natural Pool if time permits

Rock Formations

California Dunes & Lighthouse

Now I saw from threds that Bullys will not be available in May? What other options might they have? Like I said the religious would be perfect but also many of the sites near the water would be great. Is there another tour operator you could suggest?

I would definitely eliminate the natural pool. It is very difficult to get to, with a rough and treacherous drive, only permitted by four wheel drive vehicles. They would also have to hike over some rough terrain once they get there. Some of the places that you have chosen are in opposite directions on the island. Most of it would be doable. You could contact Sonny Binns tours. He takes small groups, so it would not be a private tour. Ivan could give you a private tour, if he is available. His email is ijgordijk@setarnet.aw

Edited by Hatteras51

I would definitely eliminate the natural pool. It is very difficult to get to, with a rough and treacherous drive, only permitted by four wheel drive vehicles. They would also have to hike over some rough terrain once they get there. Some of the places that you have chosen are in opposite directions on the island. Most of it would be doable. You could contact Sonny Binns tours. He takes small groups, so it would not be a private tour. Ivan could give you a private tour, if he is available. His email is ijgordijk@setarnet.aw

Ok I was able to get a hold of Ivan. Can you tell me a bit about him? I would think that recomending him that means he would be legit?

He said for a 3 hour tour for 2 it would be 135.00 This would include going to-

Lourdes Grotto

Ayo Rock Formation

Natural Bridge

Alto Vista Chapel

California Lighthouse

Is this a good price?

Also, the locations, are those good? I primarily know they would really like the Grotto.

Ivan is a terrific man. He is an associate of Bully, who is pretty famous on this board. We have ridden with Ivan in his taxi many times. There are some old threads about his tours, with a picture of his van, but I haven't been able to locate them yet. The standard price, which is set by the government, is $45.00 per hour, so the price he quoted you is correct. You won't regret hiring him. Your parents will be in good hands and have a wonderful time. I haven't been to the grotto, but I googled some pictures and it looks lovely. All of the places that you mentioned will make a very nice tour.

Edited by Hatteras51

We did this itinerary on Breeze. We went through Carnival for 2 of the ports......La Romana and Aruba. If you're curious to check out the tours, take a look at the links in my signature.

La Romana - "Altos de Chavon & Cigar Factory" (1st link)

Aruba - "Best of Aruba & Beach" (2nd link)

Enjoy your cruise!