Bread Baskets

Roatanfans

Wonderful yummy fresh baked bread is always something we look forward to on a cruise and many people on the princess boards rave about their bread baskets. We were actually a little disappointed with them on the Grand- not a lot of variety and the rolls at dinner were pretty hard like they had sat (same types of rolls much softer and fresher earlier in the day). What we really missed was a dark soft wheat bread type roll. Now, I can't say that we didn't still enjoy the bread at our table (and eat plenty of it), but more choices would have been nice. Is this typical of all Princess ships or just the Grand?

We seemed to have a new type of roll each night in our bread basket on board the Emerald recently, in addition to the white, whole wheat and breadsticks. I enjoyed them and found they were pretty soft most of the time. Sometimes they would be a little on the hard side on the outside. Maybe it varies per ship. I didn't see any dark soft wheat bread roll like you described though.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

In general, I've not found Princess's bread as good as in an average bakery in most Western European countries. It's better than you'll get in the US, on average. But it could be better IMHO. And on the small ships, there is very little variety, esp at breakfast where the same two or three rolls are in the same spaces.

It could be worse. The breakfast rolls used to be day-old. The rolls aren't bad, I just wonder why they aren't better.

Wonderful yummy fresh baked bread is always something we look forward to on a cruise and many people on the princess boards rave about their bread baskets. We were actually a little disappointed with them on the Grand- not a lot of variety and the rolls at dinner were pretty hard like they had sat (same types of rolls much softer and fresher earlier in the day). What we really missed was a dark soft wheat bread type roll. Now, I can't say that we didn't still enjoy the bread at our table (and eat plenty of it), but more choices would have been nice. Is this typical of all Princess ships or just the Grand?

I'm sorry to say that is typical of all Princess ships, hard, cold bread.

Some people do actually like the bread on Princess but I am one that has never figured out why.

Mike:)

I believe it is a cultural thing. The bread and rolls are intentionally crusty on the outside and soft inside, an Italian tradition in bread making. They are NOT stale. Most of the time there are a variety of rolls in the basket but you can ask for some sliced bread if you wish. I am a huge fan of the rolls/breads on Princess. I think soft dinner rolls are more of a northern European/American style.

I believe it is a cultural thing. The bread and rolls are intentionally crusty on the outside and soft inside, an Italian tradition in bread making. They are NOT stale. Most of the time there are a variety of rolls in the basket but you can ask for some sliced bread if you wish. I am a huge fan of the rolls/breads on Princess. I think soft dinner rolls are more of a northern European/American style.

Agree ;)

I am surprised, our rolls on the Sapphire were warm each night :D!

After the 2nd batch I finally had to have them take them away! :eek:

Wow, I have never had a piece of warm bread on any Princess cruise.

Ours have been more akin to hockey pucks.

They were crusty but man they were good.

Like Lays potato chips. :eek:

Especially dipped in the Escargot butter.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

My kids attack the bread basket practically before we sit down!

Yes, I think the soft dark brown steakhouse style bread is very American. I imagine it would be far too sweet for most Europeans to consider combining with dinner.

I also enjoy the rolls with dinner as I stay away from them breakfast and lunch, I like the whole wheat with sunflower seeds on them best ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - Oy, excuse the auto correct ;)

The BREAD is better at the Horizen Court Buffet. They have some great soft rolls. They also have pretzel style. They only have them at the buffet.

I used to put some in a plastic baggie that I take on my cruises and eat them later in my cabin with butter on them as a late snack. LucyR.

Oh man....why did you have to remind me of that!!! I think I went through the entire basket, bread sticks included, dipping the bread into the escargot butter.

Jim

I also enjoy the rolls with dinner as I stay away from them breakfast and lunch, I like the whole wheat with sunflower seeds on them best ;)

absolutely my favorite as well.

Last week they had one that looked like at first like a cinnamon bun garlic roll, until you started eating it an it had cayenne pepper or something in it, talk about a bite!!!

Absolutely. After growing up in an Italian household I love their bread.

Actually, I like both hard and soft rolls but it seemed like the basic roll would be offered at every meal and would be softer in the morning, getting harder as the hours passed. Once again- it wasn't a huge issue, just a surprise as it seems like every other cruise line has a much wider variety of breads- the breadbasket on Azamara is practically artwork, and I can remember always having lots more to choose from- we did get the cinnamon roll look alike one night (it was good), but it always seemed like it was basic plain rolls, bread sticks, and either a roll topped with seeds or a light rye type.

My mouth is watering!:)

I don't like Escargot, but I do love dipping the bread in the butter sauce.

You don't travel with the right people! Gotta schmooze the servers. LOL:D

Actually, I like both hard and soft rolls but it seemed like the basic roll would be offered at every meal and would be softer in the morning, getting harder as the hours passed. Once again- it wasn't a huge issue, just a surprise as it seems like every other cruise line has a much wider variety of breads- the breadbasket on Azamara is practically artwork, and I can remember always having lots more to choose from- we did get the cinnamon roll look alike one night (it was good), but it always seemed like it was basic plain rolls, bread sticks, and either a roll topped with seeds or a light rye type.

Remember, this is Princess not Azamara. You do pay extra for the "artwork."

I also love the Princess rolls, even more so when dipped in escargot butter.

Also, those rolls are baked several times a day, so they are always fresh. Never had a stale one!

I can see the one poster's point in calling escargot as snails and yet we say beef for cow meat, pork for pig meat and tofu for bean meat. I am lukewarm on escargot but the garlic butter left behind is great with nice bread. For me, they could just bring clarified garlic butter and keep me happy if not healthy. I guess I could order V-fib paddles on the side.