Sea sickness tablets?

isdoo

Hi isdoo

We have just returned from a cruise on the Spirit and they gave out free seasickness tablets at customer relations but you had to go daily to pick them up.

We took my Mum who hadn't cruised for 40 years because she was so unwell on that first cruise. The sea was quite rough at times but the tablets they gave her were amazing and she never felt ill once.

Awesome to hear . We are on the Spirit in may /June . You cannot get Bonine or Dramamine in Australia any more , its either Travelcalm or Quells , which I think are so so .. You can get Avomine but I am allergic . ( I get a rash from an antihistamine ..go figure :-() Hopefully the seas will be calm in early June ...fingers crossed .

I have only been on two cruises & have not been sea sick at all while onboard (and our first cruise had some rough days). My vertigo begins after I leave the ship! After my last cruise, I experienced vertigo at home for 9 days. My physician advised me to take something like Bonine everyday during my next cruise (even though I feel fine) to hopefully avoid the sickness afterwards. Just a little different experience I thought I would share. I'm crossing my fingers that it does help because the post sickness is awful!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm like that with flying, it doesn't bother me too much on the flight, but if I haven't taken a Dramamine or Bonine before the flight, I'm terrible after we land. I do exactly what your doc said -- pop one Bonine (or Dramamine less drowsy, as everyone else has been saying) a day starting at least an hour before getting on the ship. It seems to work very well. I've heard it's good to still take one on debarkation day (I usually do) and maybe even the day after (haven't tried it) to help "get your land legs back!"

You should be able to edit your post also with the customized app, just click your post and select "Edit" from the menu (might also be under "Others" like it was on older Tapatalk versions -- the "Forums" is just a customized version of free Tapatalk app). :)

Tried but don't have that option on my phone/CC app

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forums mobile app

I get a prescription from my dr. for the Transderm patch. It is a circular patch that you put right behind your ear. It's usually good for 3 days and lasts in the shower. I swear by this as I was very sick the first cruise we went on and haven't been sick since.

Hated the patch!! Both of us had bad side effects, including eyesight problems. Do search about it and you will see many more people have problems using them. Bonne much much better choice

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

On my 1st cruise (RCCL), I had motion sickness. I never "got sick" but I was sure close. The main dining room was a trigger and I think it had to do with all the busyness of the carpet, drapes, noise and motion. I couldn't even bend over to put my shoes on without feeling like I was going to be sick.

I took the tablets that they gave out at Guest Services and they did not work. My family ate without me while I sipped soup in the room. :(

I also had a bag of candied ginger and that didn't help either.

I was fine off the ship and enjoyed all the ports and other parts of the ship didn't bother me, as much.

My 2nd cruise on NCL, I went with Bonine (fast dissolving) and I started taking it 2 days before my cruise. I took it every night while on the ship.

I was fine!!! We had a spa pass for the week and on two nights the ship was rocking so much the water was sloshing out of the spa pool. I was just laying there enjoying it all!!! I slept the best I have ever slept, on that cruise. No issues.

**On both cruises we had balcony rooms.

I will be going with the Bonine method for my Getaway cruise in 2015!!!

I am also a fan of the ginger capsules. I start taking them 2 days before the cruise and twice a day for the duration of the cruise. I took non-drowsy bonine for long car rides a few times as I get rather car sick, and it made me completely loopy, despite being non-drowsy. I mean to the point where my boyfriend wouldn't let me out of his sight in a Walmart in PA when we took a trip with friends because he was afraid I would just wander off and get lost. Maybe I am just loopy anyway :p The ginger worked very well for me, no side effects, and I could still partake of adult beverages :D

I'm like that with flying, it doesn't bother me too much on the flight, but if I haven't taken a Dramamine or Bonine before the flight, I'm terrible after we land. I do exactly what your doc said -- pop one Bonine (or Dramamine less drowsy, as everyone else has been saying) a day starting at least an hour before getting on the ship. It seems to work very well. I've heard it's good to still take one on debarkation day (I usually do) and maybe even the day after (haven't tried it) to help "get your land legs back!"

I'm happy to hear that this worked for you, and that I'm not the only one that has post trip sickness! I'm crossing my fingers I will have good results also!

Hated the patch!! Both of us had bad side effects, including eyesight problems. Do search about it and you will see many more people have problems using them. Bonne much much better choice

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

I tried this patch last summer when we went on a deep sea fishing trip & I agree, I hated it! It really dried my mouth & just made me feel weird. The others on the trip used the patch & felt fine, but it definitely wasn't for me - I'm going to give Bonine a try next.

I have always done the generic non drowsy dramamine - take one each evening. I do think it does make me sleepy.

Where do you guy the ginger capsules? I might give them a try.

They have them in the grocery stores where I live in PA but you can find them in any vitamin-type store too. (GNC etc.) I take one ginger root tablet in the morning and one generic Bonine at night.

Edited by peg013