Oh no! Balcony at front of Pacific Princess on Tahitian cruise

aamechs2

I am so bummed out. We just got our room assigned for our cruise of the French Polynesia leaving March 22. It is not only at the front of the ship but above the Cabernet lounge. The only time I was on a small ship our room was at the front and there was a lot of motion. We have patches to wear but they make my vision horrible and my mouth dry.

I am also worried that there will be lots of noise til late at night from the lounge and I won't be able to sleep. Not sure what to do. There are virtually no rooms left.

Maybe you could have a conversation with your Doctor? There are a lot of motion sickness remedies out there.

A few non prescription aids that I have seen work are:

Sea bands

Ginger in various forms(Candies, Pills, Ginger ale)

Also Green apples helped my wife on our last cruise.

Of course my cure all is to keep stomach full at all times! ;)

I am so bummed out. We just got our room assigned for our cruise of the French Polynesia leaving March 22. It is not only at the front of the ship but above the Cabernet lounge. The only time I was on a small ship our room was at the front and there was a lot of motion. We have patches to wear but they make my vision horrible and my mouth dry.

I am also worried that there will be lots of noise til late at night from the lounge and I won't be able to sleep. Not sure what to do. There are virtually no rooms left.

Have you tried calling Princess (or having your TA call for you) to see if there is anything else available that you would be more comfortable in?

Have you ever tried using Ginger capsules to prevent nausea? Some people have found that a good option that works well with no unpleasant side effects.

Prayers for quiet seas and passengers will likely be granted.

The seas in French Polynesia are not known for being rough.

The passengers on the small ships are not known for being noisy.

Try the wrist bands that use the pressure points. I'm a science/tech type guy and look at that kind of thing warily. I generally handle rough seas pretty well (thanks Mom and Dad for the good genes) but on our last cruise across the Tasman Sea I noticed that I was starting to feel just a little queasy. DW, bless her heart, is very much prepared for all contingencies and I tried the pressure point wrist bands. To my surprise they helped quite a bit. No drugs, no dry mouth and no sleepiness.

Have you tried "Bonine"? One a day, chewable, non-drowsy for motion sickness. This is why I pick my own cabin on every cruise. A "guarantee" can often get you a room that no one else wanted. Hopefully you can get reassigned. Good luck!

Have you tried "Bonine"? One a day, chewable, non-drowsy for motion sickness. This is why I pick my own cabin on every cruise. A "guarantee" can often get you a room that no one else wanted. Hopefully you can get reassigned. Good luck!

My thoughts exactly. Not good gambling if you require a particular place on a ship and are sensitive to noise and motion. I have gotten "upgrades" even when I've booked a particular cabin and they've turned out to be very noisy cabins no one would particularly chose on their own.

You can also get Rx scopolomine patches which work very well.

I will take some bonine and we have the patches. I guess I was hoping to hear from someone who had a room in this location and could tell me how bad it will be. I do book specific rooms but my husband booked this as a romantic surprise and no way am I going to gripe at him for booking a guarantee instead of a paticular room. Thanks

That is why there are guarantees.

We have never recieved an upgrade and received rooms with obstructed views and handicapped rooms.

I weigh the price. We are still awaiting a cabin assignment for a cruise that departs in just a few weeks. We paid $900.pp for a 7 day cruise with a guarantee of junior (mini) suite or above. I am not expecting anything more than a mini suite but for that price, I could not pass it by.

My husband sleeps like a rock so noise is not an issue. Luckily, niether one of us gets seasick.

These are the things to keep in mind.

At this stage of life. I only do guarantees of junior(mini) suites.

The worst thing we ever did was one called 'run of the ship'. The tell you that you can get any catagory.

We wound up with not getting the assignment until we were at the pier.

It was an outside room over the anchor chain and thrusters. There were times you could not even carry on a conversation in the room there was so much noise.

I will take some bonine and we have the patches. I guess I was hoping to hear from someone who had a room in this location and could tell me how bad it will be. I do book specific rooms but my husband booked this as a romantic surprise and no way am I going to gripe at him for booking a guarantee instead of a paticular room. Thanks

Totally agree. Maybe you could post this question under "Cruise Discussion Topics - Cabin Selection Tips" & someone may have stayed there and can give you more specifics.

Please don't be worried. We had one of these cabins and loved it. No more motion than other locations and the view was fantastic. We could watch dolphins swimming in front of the ship and whales spouting in the distance. We heard a bit of bass noise in the afternoons when they were rehearsing but not much at night. The shows don't go that late- just go watch one!

Love the view!

Sent from my iPhone

That is why there are guarantees.

We have never recieved an upgrade and received rooms with obstructed views and handicapped rooms.

I weigh the price. We are still awaiting a cabin assignment for a cruise that departs in just a few weeks. We paid $900.pp for a 7 day cruise with a guarantee of junior (mini) suite or above. I am not expecting anything more than a mini suite but for that price, I could not pass it by.

My husband sleeps like a rock so noise is not an issue. Luckily, niether one of us gets seasick.

These are the things to keep in mind.

At this stage of life. I only do guarantees of junior(mini) suites.

The worst thing we ever did was one called 'run of the ship'. The tell you that you can get any catagory.

We wound up with not getting the assignment until we were at the pier.

It was an outside room over the anchor chain and thrusters. There were times you could not even carry on a conversation in the room there was so much noise.

I was surprised to see you thought a HANDICAPPED room was an inferior room, aren't they a little bigger??

I was surprised to see you thought a HANDICAPPED room was an inferior room, aren't they a little bigger??
I once got assigned a hanicap cabin and didn't like it. There are no thresholds in the bathroom and so during a shower the entire room got watered.

We have been on the Tahitian Princess( before she was renamed the Ocean Princess) on the French Polyenesia Itinerary. This ship is the same as the Pacific Princess. The movement forward in this type of ship is great. There is quite a bit of movement. If you are prone to seasickness do go on the cruise armed with remedies. The problem with noise from the lounge is nothing compared to the forward movement on these types of ships. See if your TA can get you moved anywhere else other than forward.