Aos doa

I'll probably get flamed for this but what you don't seem to understand is that San Juan is not a port of call it is a port of departure. The current sailing was a 7 day and they did not depart until day 4 the now day 1 missing 3 full days. The previous cruise was out for the full # of days. The cruise lines retain the right to change itineraries as they see needed. It was needed, no breach of any contract. Current cruise there was a breach in contract in the # of days, your cruise does not begin until you depart.

The need of they got that so I should to is nothing more than the act of entitlement. Guess what everything in life is not equal. There are some that are just angry that those on the current sailing received more compensation. There was no way to for see the outcome of the March 16th sailing, they knew they had problems mid week before the March 23rd, they did not warn those pax nor did they fulfill their contract with them. They should most definitely be compensated more.

Although not common there are cruise itineraries where the ship stays in the the embarkation port to make it essentially a port stop or stay so the cruise doesn't have to depart for it to start.

We did a repositioning cruise out of Honolulu that had a scheduled two day stay there before departing. In fact we spent two full days and evenings there on board as we arrived at the ship fairly early on embarkation day and the ship didn't depart until 2AM on day 3 of the cruise as it only had go the 100 or so miles to Nawiliwili, Kauai with arrival at 8AM on day 4. Other embarkation ports that come to mind where this often done is Venice, Italy and Buenos Aires, Argentina with the latter typically being a early morning depart on day 3, like we did in Honolulu, since the next port stop is usually Montvideo, Uruguay which is just across the estuary of the Rio de la Plato.

So the March 23rd cruisers are having a full cruise starting with a wonderful two full days stay in San Juan, a very nice place to do so and with stops in Antigua, St. Lucia and St. Croix. It sounds like a great itinerary to me thus getting lemonade out of the lemon initially given.

To those who feel there is too much discussion going back and forth in this thread, that is the principle role of a forum like Cruise Critic. All one needs to do is not open up this thread if it bothers them or why bother being on Cruise Critic at all.

See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_forum

Ok. I agree Rci will do what it wants to do..hoping they are reading our posts and reconsider for the march 16 the cruisers. Enuf said. So.... Having been on the adventure twice and done 4 carribean cruises we'd like to try the allure or oasis. We welcome any suggestions re which boat and itinerary. Also feel we'd like to leave from Florida rather than flying to sju

lets all hope that Adventure makes her way back to San Juan and gets in on time early Sunday morning and then off to Dry dock ...this has been a true 10 days of RCCL soap opera...maybe the travel channel should invest to make a 2 hr movie over it...MAY ADVENTURE HAVE A SAFE TRIP BACK AND EVERYONE DISEMBARKS SAFELY AND GETS HOME IN ONE PIECE...i think more than enough has been said on this...God Blees the ADVENTURE OF THE SEA'S...may she get the needed repairs to make her run with Pride again...:)

Late last evening AOS was doing 17.3 knots on route to today's stop in St. Lucia. It's top speed is listed at 22 knots so that's not too bad of a cruising speed with only two operational pods but then again as mentioned by chengkp75, increase speed vs power requirement is exponential. I recall it being mentioned at a navigation lecture on Radiance of the Seas, that this ship could achieve 17 knots of its 25 knots top speed with just one of its two gas turbine engines operating including the supply of power to operate the services onboard.

Other than St. Lucia in place of St. Maarten today, the latter part of the current sailing is the same as the original itinerary which is shown below.

I wonder why it didn't go to St. Maarten as scheduled? It would have been provided a much shorter distance for a ship with a propulsion problem to travel but then again last week's two day stay might have worn out their welcome there. :eek:

attachment.php?attachmentid=307558&d=1396012802

AOSMar14.jpg.f50418dda2ff2df56972cb62def1704f.jpg

Edited by robtulipe

To those who feel there is too much discussion going back and forth in this thread, that is the principle role of a forum like Cruise Critic. All one needs to do is not open up this thread if it bothers them or why bother being on Cruise Critic at all.

See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_forum

Well said Chaleg.

Several years ago on another cruise line, an air conditioning pipe leaked water into our room. The issue was corrected and the room was dried out that day. For our trouble and with without us asking for it, they gave us a $200 credit toward our next cruise. This may seem pretty meager, but it was a 3 day Nassau cruise that only cost $600 for an ocean view room. That was a 1/3 of a cost of the cruise for an issue that was remedied fairly quickly and barely impacted the trip.

I don't think any of us are asking for ponies, Ferraris, mansions and Goldstein's head on a spike (and if you are, shame on you). And without a doubt, I did get at least half of the vacation I paid for. But I think what most of us would like to see is a response that says they recognize we paid good money and didn't get the whole vacation we expected and that they do value our business and want us to return. It seems like $300 on a $2000 cruise barely scratched the surface of that.

Does RC legally OWE us anything - no, they don't. We "signed" the contract, and they have us over a barrel. And yes, we should vote with our wallets because there are obviously other companies that would be more than happy to have our business and would pride themselves on giving us what we paid for. But I just find it shocking in what is still a very fragile economy where taking a vacation of any kind is still a big luxury for most people that a company would only care about meeting the bare minimum points of a contract instead of trying to meet or exceed the customers' expectations.

Yes, RC can and will do whatever they want. But before they completely close the book on this, maybe they should call Blake Nordstrom and see how he might handle a similar situation. They might learn something.

While there might have been, and probably were, indications that the pod bearings were deteriorating, that's different from saying that they were "hoping" it would last. If they felt that the pod's bearings were in any way close to failure, they would have just shut the pod down, and adjusted itineraries, as was done with the Allure. What has now happened to the pod on Adventure will likely cost more to repair than the cost of some credits for changed itinerary (add in Miami Divers in San Juan for 3 days, I know they ain't cheap). Condition monitoring of bearings like the ones in the pod tend to travel along for quite a lot of time at nearly the same level of "noise" (vibration) in the bearing, and will then suddenly turn the corner of a parabolic curve, and fail catastrophically. Not an apologist for RCI or any line, but without seeing their maintenance history, I have to assume that their data supported the decision to keep the pod in service.

Nice to know this stuff.

:):) good speed.

She left Antigua a little earlier than I expected, and arrived in St. Lucia around 0600-0700 this morning. The run to St. Croix will probably require about 17 knots, I think she can make this, weather permitting. The run back from St. Croix to San Juan is just 100 miles, so this is no problem.

San Juan to Freeport is 2.1 days at 17 knots. Not sure when she's scheduled to go on the blocks, but since she was originally scheduled to disembark on Sunday, they most likely didn't schedule the entry to drydock (prep work can be done as soon as ship arrives in shipyard, and lots will happen on the way) until Wednesday/Thursday.

Well said Chaleg.

Several years ago on another cruise line, an air conditioning pipe leaked water into our room. The issue was corrected and the room was dried out that day. For our trouble and with without us asking for it, they gave us a $200 credit toward our next cruise. This may seem pretty meager, but it was a 3 day Nassau cruise that only cost $600 for an ocean view room. That was a 1/3 of a cost of the cruise for an issue that was remedied fairly quickly and barely impacted the trip.

I don't think any of us are asking for ponies, Ferraris, mansions and Goldstein's head on a spike (and if you are, shame on you). And without a doubt, I did get at least half of the vacation I paid for. But I think what most of us would like to see is a response that says they recognize we paid good money and didn't get the whole vacation we expected and that they do value our business and want us to return. It seems like $300 on a $2000 cruise barely scratched the surface of that.

Does RC legally OWE us anything - no, they don't. We "signed" the contract, and they have us over a barrel. And yes, we should vote with our wallets because there are obviously other companies that would be more than happy to have our business and would pride themselves on giving us what we paid for. But I just find it shocking in what is still a very fragile economy where taking a vacation of any kind is still a big luxury for most people that a company would only care about meeting the bare minimum points of a contract instead of trying to meet or exceed the customers' expectations.

Yes, RC can and will do whatever they want. But before they completely close the book on this, maybe they should call Blake Nordstrom and see how he might handle a similar situation. They might learn something.

You said it perfectly. Thank you. I do hope Royal does read this thread.

BTW, there were several of us on Deck 9 that had no working toilets for 1/2 the day on Friday. There was no mention of the inconvenience by Royal to us at all. The only apology we received was from our Stateroom attendant.

How long is AOS going in for dry dock? Any idea what they will be doing yet?

We have a reservation on it for next April.

She finishes up in San Juan tomorrow, then empty to Freeport. Her next cruise is a TA from Miami on April 20th. Repair the fixipod, usual dry dock hull painting, etc. General replacement of worn items. I'll let the RCI regulars answer for any upgrades they've heard about, I don't know.

Here are the plans for dry dock

• Outdoor movie screen
  • Updated Vintages wine bar
  • Park Café
  • Chef’s Table
  • Giovanni’s Table
  • Digital Signage
  • Pervasive Wi-Fi
  • Flat-screen TVs
  • Interactive TVs
  • Concierge Club
  • Diamond Club
  • Nursery

She finishes up in San Juan tomorrow, then empty to Freeport. Her next cruise is a TA from Miami on April 20th. Repair the fixipod, usual dry dock hull painting, etc. General replacement of worn items. I'll let the RCI regulars answer for any upgrades they've heard about, I don't know.

I hope her next cruise is the four day out of Miami, sailing on April 9th, followed by the seven day sailing on the 13 th ;)

I hope her next cruise is the four day out of Miami, sailing on April 9th, followed by the seven day sailing on the 13 th ;)

I thought I'd heard mention of a cruise on the 9th, I'm assuming you're on it. That puts a lot of pressure on the pod repair (7-8 days in dock), and certainly puts some pressure on getting the upgrades LMaxwell notes done. Pretty ambitious for a 7-8 day docking. Good luck.

I thought I'd heard mention of a cruise on the 9th, I'm assuming you're on it. That puts a lot of pressure on the pod repair (7-8 days in dock), and certainly puts some pressure on getting the upgrades LMaxwell notes done. Pretty ambitious for a 7-8 day docking. Good luck.

Yes, I honestly don't know how they can do that all so fast. I wonder if plans changed since the upgrade listing was published or what will happen. Will be interesting to see. :confused:

About the fixed pod problem?

Do you think RCI will now simply replace the whole unit like was done with Allure?

It was leaking lubricant and sea water likely has entered the pod as an result of the damaged seals so there may now be more than just bearing damage. RCI may not want to chance this is so and may have decided to bring in a new pod already to avoid having a delay needed if they waited until the dry dock and found out the complete unit needed to be replaced.

The shot below indicates they can likely access the unit and I know from our engine control room visits on Radiance and X Millennium class ships there are video cameras in the pods.

25353_azipod.jpg

AOS isn't showing on Marine Traffic this morning and its last reported position was east of Dominica doing 18.1 knots last evening at 10:26 local time. Hopefully it is in Frederksted, St. Croix now.

Edited by robtulipe

April 9th, I'm on her.

About the fixed pod problem?

Do you think RCI will now simply replace the whole unit like was done with Allure?

It was leaking lubricant and sea water likely has entered the pod as an result of the damaged seals so there may now be more than just bearing damage. RCI may not want to chance this is so and may have decided to bring in a new pod already to avoid having a delay needed if they waited until the dry dock and found out the complete unit needed to be replaced.

The shot below indicates they can likely access the unit and I know from our engine control room visits on Radiance and X Millennium class ships there are video cameras in the pods.

25353_azipod.jpg

AOS isn't showing on Marine Traffic this morning and its last reported position was east of Dominica doing 18.1 knots last evening at 10:26 local time. Hopefully it is in Frederksted, St. Croix now.

I hadn't heard that Allure changed out an entire pod. Hers was a thrust bearing problem, which is easily repaired, just that the older pods required it to be done from the outside.

Having a replacement pod sitting around isn't likely. ABB does not build pods until they are ordered for a new ship. Parts are available, but not complete pods. It's not that water has entered the pod, it has likely entered the lubrication system of the pod shaft bearings. It will mean removing the entire shaft from the pod, to get to the forward bearings, and the thrust bearings will be renewed as well as the roller bearings, just because of likely contamination of the lubrication system. Even if the water got past all the seals into the pod itself, there are bilge pumping arrangements to keep it from flooding.

My best guess for the extent of the damage is that the shaft seal has failed, allowing oil to leak out (it is maintained at a higher head pressure than the sea water to prevent water entering). When they dropped the oil level, or pumped the seal full of grease or heavier oil, this didn't work, and water was allowed past the shaft seal and into the roller bearing just behind the prop. This bearing is sealed from the motor itself, and the motor is sealed from the bearing at the other end. So, my guess is that the propeller end roller bearing needs renewal, the shaft seal needs renewal, the forward end bearing and the thrust bearing will be renewed as preventative measures, and that the motor windings will be cleaned (probably not necessary, but since the motor is out, it would be done preventatively).

She is out of range of shore AIS stations south of St. Croix. I had estimated arrival around 0900-1000 this morning, so she should be popping up on Marine Traffic soon.