19.3kn / 263°
  • Destination:
    HALF MOON CAY
  • ETA:
    2014-03-17 12:00 (UTC)

Received:

3 hours ago

(AIS Source: 1399Ray Vaughan)

So that report says it was expected at HMC yesterday. Where do you see it as heading to PEG?

Edited by jtl513

On the AIS live ship maps (also on the map below the PEG webcam), she appears to be just outside the port. Her information does say she's en route to HMC, but that's not where she seems to be.
Okay, I see that now. But - I wouldn't put a lot of stock in AIS being absolutely correct. Once on a trans-Panama Canal trip it showed us sitting in Colombia for around 8 days! Check every so often to see if it's moving! :) Edited by jtl513

***** Marine Traffic it shows it outside Port Everglades:

EURODAM

Position Recorded on:
2014-03-16 22:53:00 (UTC)

That is the day it departed and apparently has not been updated.

sailwx.com also shows it at HMC on 3/17.

Edited by Boytjie

Doesn't it make you think: If they can't keep track of a 110,000 ton ship doing 20 knots, it must have been easier than we would like like to realize to lose track of the Malaysian airliner doing 400 knots.

Doesn't it make you think: If they can't keep track of a 110,000 ton ship doing 20 knots, it must have been easier than we would like like to realize to lose track of the Malaysian airliner doing 400 knots.

I think they track the ships based on reports sent form the ship, not something like radar.

I think they track the ships based on reports sent form the ship, not something like radar.
Correct, and if the ship's transmitter is not working properly, or it is out-of-range of a receiver, then the ship appears frozen in its last reported position.

What is AIS?

AIS (Automatic Identification System) is an International Maritime Organization (IMO) standard requiring all vessels of 300tons and over, and all passenger vessels, to carry an AIS transponder. This broadcasts information such as vessel name, position, speed and course plus information such as dimensions and the details of the current voyage. The AIS transmitter includes GPS capability for very accurate positioning.

Increasingly many pleasure craft and smaller vessels can also be seen via the AIS systems as the owners are fitting low cost transponders.