Fort Lauderdale Transportation: Port Everglades to FLL airport

CaribbeanBound

Forgive me if this thread already exists or the answer is obvious. I've done a search and can't find anything. Sure, lots of FLL to/from MIA, and Miami to Port Everglades, but no info on Port Everglades to FLL airport.

1. How much is a taxi?

2. Is there a "Better" way?

This question is probably the second most commonly asked question on the board. A taxi FLL-Port is about $14.50 each way, before tip, and takes less than 15 minutes.

It is by far the best, cheapest and easiest way for the average person to do it.

Forgive me if this thread already exists or the answer is obvious. I've done a search and can't find anything. Sure, lots of FLL to/from MIA, and Miami to Port Everglades, but no info on Port Everglades to FLL airport.

1. How much is a taxi?

2. Is there a "Better" way?

My husband and I took cab from airport in Fort Lauderdale to cruise pier . It was about 25 with tip. On return, while waiting in cab line a guy from a van came and ask if we were going to FLL we ask how much he said 11 pp. so we went. Then tipped that driver also.

This question is probably the second most commonly asked question on the board. A taxi FLL-Port is about $14.50 each way, before tip, and takes less than 15 minutes.

It is by far the best, cheapest and easiest way for the average person to do it.

I think the reason our fair was higher was because of construction right before pier entrance we sat idle for a significant amount of time.

My husband and I took cab from airport in Fort Lauderdale to cruise pier . It was about 25 with tip. On return, while waiting in cab line a guy from a van came and ask if we were going to FLL we ask how much he said 11 pp. so we went. Then tipped that driver also.

That is a well documented scam on this board.

How is it a scam if it got us to the airport.? Cost basically the same.

Just wondering?

No, the cost isn't the same. A taxi for 2-4 people is $14.50, before tip. You paid $22, plus tip. So, at minimum, you paid about 50% more. I (and many others who have posted about this, and discussed it) don't think this is a good deal.

Next, you bought into a shared shuttle. Lets say 8 people total went to the airport. That is $88, plus tips. As opposed to, assuming 4 people per taxi, $29 before tips. See the issue?

So, yes, not a scam, as in illegal, but far from the best spending of your money.

Taxi is definitely the way to go.

I would normally say the ride should never be more than $20 (with tip), but you may get that one trip that has you at one of the final spots at the port and the last terminal at the airport. Could easily tack on 5 extra bucks.

No, the cost isn't the same. A taxi for 2-4 people is $14.50, before tip. You paid $22, plus tip. So, at minimum, you paid about 50% more. I (and many others who have posted about this, and discussed it) don't think this is a good deal.

Next, you bought into a shared shuttle. Lets say 8 people total went to the airport. That is $88, plus tips. As opposed to, assuming 4 people per taxi, $29 before tips. See the issue?

So, yes, not a scam, as in illegal, but far from the best spending of your money.

OK I don't understand. If taking a taxi for more then $15 and shuttles are scams. How do you find the taxi that only charges $15 and not $22?

No, the cost isn't the same. A taxi for 2-4 people is $14.50, before tip. You paid $22, plus tip. So, at minimum, you paid about 50% more. I (and many others who have posted about this, and discussed it) don't think this is a good deal

I previously posted I paid $25w/tip to get to pier. That cab meter reached $14.50 pretty quickly. Maybe that is the scam?

Just saying. Sometimes convenience cost a little more.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

There are signs posted at Port Everglades that tell you that taxi fares are METER ONLY (plus tip, of course). There are no "flat rates", no extra added "service charges", etc.

So if you encounter any cab driver who tries to do this, they're breaking the law.

How do you find the taxi that only charges $15 and not $22?

I always take a picture of the taxi number with my phone "in case I forget something" which documents the cab and date/time. If the driver tries to charge me more than the meter I usually "suggest" that we invite a police officer to settle the question of a legal fare - it never goes farther than that.

We need to clarify a couple of things here. Taxis are based on the meter. As mentioned, the fare port to airport (or vice versa) should be $14-15, as it was last month when we went both ways. During the construction times, perhaps the fare maybe a little higher.

Shared shuttles on the other hand, are vans, sometimes with a trailer behind them. They park near the taxi stand, and will usually have someone out seeking riders. They will get 6-8, maybe 10 people per van, and charge $11 per person. Not a metered fare, but a per person rate. These frequently take longer to get to the airport, as they wait until they are full, and usually need to stop at each terminal.

xrayjng, you took a taxi to the port, and a shared shuttle back to the airport. Had construction not interfered with your most direct and speedy route to the port, you should have paid about $14.50 before tip, not $25. By taking the shared shuttle back, you paid $11 per person, before tip, for a ride that could have cost $14.50, in a taxi (total), if construction didn't cause any delays.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Thanks everyone for you reply to the best way to get from the Port Everglades to FLL. There is no question that a taxi is the least expensive and fastest way to go. However, I have been looking over the boards and I am getting conflicting comments if a taxi is the best way when there are a lot of ships in port. When I return on April 6 there will be a number of ships in port with about 17,000 total passengers. Will there be enough taxi's or would it be better to make other arrangements. My flight is at 2:30.

Thanks everyone for you reply to the best way to get from the Port Everglades to FLL. There is no question that a taxi is the least expensive and fastest way to go. However, I have been looking over the boards and I am getting conflicting comments if a taxi is the best way when there are a lot of ships in port. When I return on April 6 there will be a number of ships in port with about 17,000 total passengers. Will there be enough taxi's or would it be better to make other arrangements. My flight is at 2:30.

You will have absolutely no problem.

Sailing again in May out of Fort Lauderdale. Total of 6 traveling from airport to pier vise-versa what do you suggest? Thanks JK from NJ

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Doubtful that you can get all 6 plus bags into even a van-taxi (especially if any of the 6 pack like my wife! :o); 2 cabs at about $15 per cab is your best bet.

With a 2:30 departure, make sure you are the last ones off the ship and you'll still be bored for 3 hours before your flight.