Cruise Guilt

StaceySteveDMB

Does anyone that cruises multiple times a year ever feel guilty about it? My wife and I have been on seven cruises since August 2011 and have three more booked before the end of this year. My wife no longer wants to tell anyone about our cruises because people get do jealous and judge us. Thought?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Why the crap would it matter to anybody but you?

Why would you care what other people thought?

If you can, do it - wish I could.

It is nobody's business why you do.

Just my opinion.

Andy

Edited by Harrier1961

Why the crap would it matter to anybody but you?

Why would you care what other people thought?

If you can, do it - wish I could.

It is nobody's business why you do.

Just my opinion.

Andy

What he said.....

Does anyone that cruises multiple times a year ever feel guilty about it? My wife and I have been on seven cruises since August 2011 and have three more booked before the end of this year. My wife no longer wants to tell anyone about our cruises because people get do jealous and judge us. Thought?

Not me. :D

We also cruise frequently. We do get the occasional, "Again???" comments, but don't bother justifying it to anyone. We have made the choice to cruise BEFORE we retire. There are just no guarantees we'll still be alive and healthy when we do!

I do occasionally feel bad that we go so often and leave our kids at home. For last week's cruise we asked all 3 if they wanted to go, and only 1 said yes. No longer feeling guilty!:)

I cruise so frequently now that I do get some who are like again!!? But its the best vacation ever, so who cares. In January when they are freezing their butts off they will wish they were in the Caribbean like I am :)

Yes! Okay, not really. It's such a blessing that we are able to vacation like we do. People choose how they spend their money. You choose cruising. Others choose something else (name-brand clothing, shoes, fancy cars, etc.). They just don't REALIZE that they, too, are blessed. Just different from you. Never feel guilty about your blessings. ENJOY YOUR CRUISE(S)!!!

Happy cruising!!! :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I find myself defending my vacations, and not sure why. I'm almost embarrassed when I say I'm going on vacation. I guess I need to just not care and quit the defending thing. I do tell people how I can afford it. Carnival is inexpensive overall, we have a timeshare, use frequent flyer miles, etc.

Maybe I should write a book.......;)

What he said.....

Are we cruisers the minority in these parts....what are you thoughts?

OP, at work I give a different reason other than cruising on the vacation request..........they all think its really expensive to cruise..... I try and tell them but have only converted a few.................

Somewhat sometimes because I have friends that can't. It is not guilty so much as not wanting to rub it in their faces.

Also, I do travel a fair bit, often for work, often not. People think it is all fun and games and I don't want to justify it.

I travel affordably, my getaway trips (including cruises) probably cost less than their one single vacation they paid too much for.

I also don't tell many people anymore. Even my family says again. They think we are rich but it is really not expensive. We don't go out shopping all the time,movies, or out to eat. We deserve it but I don't think I should have to defend my chooses. I have 2 booked but have not told any of my family except those going.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

Wow I understand exactly how you feel. We are retiree's and had RV'd for years - had us a diesel pusher and traveled all over the USA. Most people we knew didn't get it. Well a couple years ago I went on a cruise with a friend - a simple 4 day cruise on the RCI Monarch. We are now going on our 7th cruise next month. I can't say enough about cruising - no cooking - no cleaning - all that great food and entertainment - seeing different ports. But when I tell friends they look at each other like - well they just don't get it. I try to explain it is a heck of a lot cheaper than RVing was for us (cost of RV - maintenance - and cost of diesel fuel) - and I can always find a deal even on a balcony cabin. Cruising to us is not costly at all for what you get. (it does help we don't drink or gamble). So I understand where you are coming from! But I kind of wonder too if some people are jealous so I have to down play cruising because we just don't have any family or friends that are into it! Plus I was always under the impression going on a cruise was a once in a lifetime experience - well maybe it was back in the day but not anymore. I just can't imagine any other kind of vacation now to be truthful.

Not guilty, but hate to hear people's comments, especially the people I work with. "oh you are going on another cruise". We go once a year on Carnival. It's cheaper and much more fun than a week at the Jersey shore that they spend their vacation money on. I already decided I wasn't telling them about my next one. They also make comments about oh your boat didn't sink, have no power, did you get Norovirus etc. when we get back. People who have never cruised just don't get it! Their loss!!

Oh heck, we don't cruise more than once a year and we hear it - usually from non-cruisers who think it costs much more than it does! Our plan is to retire near a cruise port :)

Next cruise: Carnival Breeze June 2014

My DH used to cruise at least twice a year.. people would say again...

now raising two grandkids we go once a yr.

We just got off the Valor and told the kiddies that we the grandparents are doing one for our annivesary.... the youngest one said, "without us??"

Said yup... but it's are birthday during that month...lol

Keep cruising.. tell people don't hate ---- appreciated!!" :) :p:p

Cathy

I did 10 cruises last year and don't feel one bit guilty. I worked hard all my life to be able to enjoy my retirement. I did decide, though, that I'll limit to 3 or 4 a year. I really enjoy all the planning, and with cruising almost once a month, I had no time to plan.:D

I don't feel guilty, but I get tired of people saying "again?" I mean, do I look at their new clothes and say "you went shopping again?!" I also get tired of telling my mom, who never wants to go with us. She has no concept of how fun it is to travel and would rather spend money on her house. I am really going to love telling our families (mine and hubby's) that we are going on 3 cruises this year! They think we're rich, but don't understand that our cruise is cheaper than going to the beach for a week in June.;)

I feel guilty AND lucky. I don't mention my cruises unless asked- this year will be an all time high of four- counting the new year 2014 and 2015 cruises that begin and end in different months- December- January. As said by others , most of my friends don't get it. I do get "what cruise is this one?" A lot! Fortunately most of my extended family loves to cruise . As for now, I am grateful and try to enjoy every minute on every ship!

Do I feel guilty? Not at all! We do try to take family members on occasion that aren't as blessed as us, that want to go. Last year, we took my sister, this year we are treating our youngest daughter, her husband, and son (graduation present for her, graduating from PA school!), and next year, we will take our oldest daughter, her husband, and 2 boys. And in between, we will take a couple, for ourselves. DH works hard, and deserves a respite. Since January, he's been working 7 days a week, and will continue to do so until our cruise the end of April.