S Class Obstructed Balcony - How bad was it REALLY?

mickeysgal

We have specifically booked the 2C cabins on deck 6 just past the aft elevators/stairs. The obstruction is the top of the lifeboat so you can't see down to the water but can see straight out. We have found these cabins a good choice price-wise, convenient to the aft elevator/stairs to get down to entertainment and dining and up to the buffet and pool. Plus, if you are on your balcony in port during a lifeboat drill, you get a really fascinating close-up view of how the lifeboats operate.

On my cruise in January this year (please see my review if interrested) on the Equinox we had cabin 6174. It's right above the smaller rescue boats so one have to stand up to see the top of the rescue boat. Otherwise a clear sightline, but one can't see the hull going down into the water if this is of importance to anyone.

As regarding to why the CC cabins are placed under the large overhang. To my knowledge the amenities are added to these cabins to be able to sell these less atractive cabins to same or higher price than if they were regular balcony cabins. As to why the suites are up there too...maybe just bad planning :)

We were in 6256 on the Equinox last year. I was really worried about it but it was great, you barely notice the obstruction.

So much so we have booked 6252, a couple of doors along on the Eclipse for our November TA.

We were on deck 9 for our last TA and I figure the lower the floor, the less movement crossing the Atlantic.

One can hope :rolleyes:

Thank you we are in cabin 6256 for our next cruise a TA on the Eclipse, we have had obstructed before so I wasn't worried about it but it is nice to know that you were happy with this cabin.

We had an oceanview on Azamara Journey, the whole window was completely blocked by a lifeboat, you could just about tell it was daytime and that was it!!!! But the rest of the Azamara experience compensated for the lack of a view!!!!

Thank you we are in cabin 6256 for our next cruise a TA on the Eclipse, we have had obstructed before so I wasn't worried about it but it is nice to know that you were happy with this cabin.

We had an oceanview on Azamara Journey, the whole window was completely blocked by a lifeboat, you could just about tell it was daytime and that was it!!!! But the rest of the Azamara experience compensated for the lack of a view!!!!

It was as bad as this :D

image.jpg.fb20189bec65511dea3af47f22d63fcf.jpg

Oh dear, we have 2138 on Eclipse when we go to the Fjords in May, is it really that bad? I was hoping it would be an advantage as the weather probably won't be great, why would they put CC and suite cabins up there if it is obstructed, I thought they were supposed to be in the better locations :confused:

Sorry. They are not IMO. I was on the other side. The benifit was that you are high up and easily can get to open areas, but the balcony will obscure anything above eye level. I would never take this cabin again regardless of sailing.

I am booked on Reflection Cabin 6177 - 2C category. It is toward the middle of the ship. I now have been offered to upgrade to 6127 - 2B category, no obstruction. I'm not sure if I should, because that is closer to the front of the ship and if there is more motion, my husband might get motion sickness. Does anyone have experience with a cabin toward the front of the ship?

I am booked on Reflection Cabin 6177 - 2C category. It is toward the middle of the ship. I now have been offered to upgrade to 6127 - 2B category, no obstruction. I'm not sure if I should, because that is closer to the front of the ship and if there is more motion, my husband might get motion sickness. Does anyone have experience with a cabin toward the front of the ship?

6127 is perhaps a little further forward than ideal, but we have had a cabin on deck 8 that was this forward and this was fine, we didn't notice the movement at all, this was in the Med. I would prefer 6127 because it doesn't have a connecting door. That said I haven't experienced a connecting cabin on the Reflection, but we did have a bad experience on a Millenium class ship with a connecting door.

Sorry. They are not IMO. I was on the other side. The benifit was that you are high up and easily can get to open areas, but the balcony will obscure anything above eye level. I would never take this cabin again regardless of sailing.

Oh, I suppose I will have to make the best of it, travelling with first time Celebrity cruisers as a linked booking and they were given stern balcony, even though the cabin next to us was free, we end up getting a worst cabin even though we have cruised with Celebrity before, it must just be the luck of the draw.

Not much I can do about it, I am just grateful to be in a balcony at all, but I can't deny I am a bit envious of our travel companions, if we had both been given the same I would not know how much better theirs was

I suppose the up side is we can crash their balcony :)

6127 is perhaps a little further forward than ideal, but we have had a cabin on deck 8 that was this forward and this was fine, we didn't notice the movement at all, this was in the Med. I would prefer 6127 because it doesn't have a connecting door. That said I haven't experienced a connecting cabin on the Reflection, but we did have a bad experience on a Millenium class ship with a connecting door.

What kind of a bad experience did you have with a connecting door? I think 6177 has a connecting door. What problems are associated with it? If it is not being used, isn't it kept locked?

Midship is better than far forward or aft. The obstruction are not bad. On my last cruise, we opted for a 2C cabin instead of a far forward unobstructed cabin. Booked late and unobstructed cabins were scarce. We made the right choice. On an S class ships, deck 6 is nice. Be aware of what is below you. If you go to sleep early, some cabins get noise from lounges. All music stops at midnight. Since I rarely go to sleep early, any deck 6 cabin works for me.

I had 6303 on Eclipse before and it was no big issue for me. The balcony

had the roof of Tuscan Grille underneath so you can't see straight down.

You have clear view straight out though.

So every balcony on deck 6 has different obstructions.

What kind of a bad experience did you have with a connecting door? I think 6177 has a connecting door. What problems are associated with it? If it is not being used, isn't it kept locked?

Hi as I said it wasn't a connecting door on a Solstice class ship and it wasn't anything sinister, yes the door was locked, but unfortunately we had a neighbour in the next cabin with a hacking cough. The connecting door was in the middle of the wall up near our sleeping area and we seem to wake up to the coughing every morning, still enjoyed our cruise though.

Lois, actually the balconies for forward cabins 6109 to 6121 on the port and 6110 to 6122 on the starboard side, shown in first shot, go right out to the outer hull have no obstruction what so ever other than they are completely covered which normally isn't considered to be an obstruction as all side balconies are so.

Same goes for extreme outside hump balconies, cabins 6217 to 6235 on P and 6216 to 6234 on SB as shown in second shot.;)

attachment.php?attachmentid=307428&d=1395929469

attachment.php?attachmentid=307433&d=1395930225

DSC09490a.jpg.de930cff270341387cd49271b0670295.jpg

Edited by robtulipe

Here's a better shot, from below, of those forward deck six unobstructed balconies on Silhouette. In fact, as you can see, the most forward one has a forward view from that balcony and the most rearward a aft view without having to lean out over the railing.

attachment.php?attachmentid=307437&d=1395931160

DSC09439a.jpg.a0aac7e0b777e00b303124282e5aca77.jpg

Edited by robtulipe

Right on, Lois. We were in 6296, which was in a similar position as your cabin. We were over QSine, and our views were like yours-only obstruction was straight down. On the plus side, our balcony was larger than others, so it was a nice trade off.

We would gladly choose that cabin again.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl