Booking on Australian X Website ..... warning

downundermatt

I have previously booked all my cruises, thru the major US online agencies.

Tired of dealing with the time difference, and inaction I decided to book direct with the Celebrity Australian website - www celebrity com au - which includes all taxes in the price, and is quoted in Australian Dollar Currency - i foolishly expected this would avoid the hefty currency conversion fee and made the price more reasonable.

Just got the credit card bill, and sure enough have been hot with hefty credit card conversion fees - never noticed any warning in the booking process - and the worst part a month after booking I have major system issues even accessing my booking.

:mad:

In what currency they booked it from your credit card? They cannot book an amount that was not showed to you?!

PS: You should change your credit card if the conversion fees are that high. (I pay 1% for conversion.)

Edited by swoonx

That's never happened to me although I haven't made any payments in the last six months. My previous credit card bills definitely list payments in AUD and there are no conversion fees as a result. For instance an example payment looks like this:

CELEBRITY CRUISES AUD MIAMI USA $XXX

No foreign exchange fees are listed.

I also find that prices listed on the Aus website can be significantly cheaper than on the US site. I am currently booked on a cruise whose current Aqua class price is about $150 cheaper on the Aus site and that's before exchange rates are factored in.

Give Celebrity Aus a ring and see what is going on.

I have previously booked all my cruises, thru the major US online agencies.

Tired of dealing with the time difference, and inaction I decided to book direct with the Celebrity Australian website - www celebrity com au - which includes all taxes in the price, and is quoted in Australian Dollar Currency - i foolishly expected this would avoid the hefty currency conversion fee and made the price more reasonable.

Just got the credit card bill, and sure enough have been hot with hefty credit card conversion fees - never noticed any warning in the booking process - and the worst part a month after booking I have major system issues even accessing my booking.

:mad:

Can you get credit cards in Australia that do not charge any fee for currency conversion, the way we do here in America?

That is the credit card we use on trips abroad for our purchases in foreign currency, very handy and readily accepted all over for hotels and restaurants and transit systems and stores and admissions to attractions, whether the prices are in British pounds or euros or Russian rubles or Swedish krona, or whatever.

The charges just appear on our credit card statement at whatever the exchange rate was that day, with no extra fee ever tacked on.

For some reason it seems to depend on which credit card you use. I usually pay with the MasterCard and have never been charged any fees. About 18 months ago I paid for something with my Visacard and I noticed fees on the statement. The next time I paid by MC again and no fees.

For some reason it seems to depend on which credit card you use. I usually pay with the MasterCard and have never been charged any fees. About 18 months ago I paid for something with my Visacard and I noticed fees on the statement. The next time I paid by MC again and no fees.

Yep. MC here too. Maybe that's the key.

The underlying cause is as mentioned above they process the charge in the US.

However, the charge is in the currency stated i.e. AUD.

This is actually stated in their terms and conditions somewhere.

Why it's an issue for some is that /some/ Australian credit cards charge fees for transactions overseas, even when they are in the card currency (AUD). It's not because of the credit card brand, but the specific bank product offering.

Can you get credit cards in Australia that do not charge any fee for currency conversion, the way we do here in America?

Yes, 28 Degrees Mastercard does not charge foreign conversion fees.

And Citibank Plus Visa debit card does not charge ATM or foreign conversion fees. :D

I use both when I travel overseas and they are excellent products.

When I booked the Solstice at the end of December last year for the NZ to Fremantle cruise leaving 3 February, I rang X after locking in the rate. The lady who took the card details did warn me there might be foreign currency conversion charges. I thought this was strange too. I Used AMEX and no charges appeared, so maybe it is the Visa card that is the culprit.

Thanks for the heads up on the Citibank Debit card. I have used the 28 Degrees card for some years and like everyone I was unhappy with the changes this year with the ATM fees so will investigate that. Anyone who uses the 28 Degrees card be aware you will also be charged ATM fees when withdrawing cash at a Westpac Bank in Australia. I withdrew "left over" cash when I got back (as I usually do) and got a rude shock. 28 Degrees were very good and refunded the charge as a "once only good will gesture" which I appreciated very much.

Beryl

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 months later...

This has happened to me on my final payment. I made a payment in March and was charged no fee but last week I made the final payment using my Westpac MasterCard and paid the final $5000+ in AUD on the Australian Website. I was charged a 3% foreign exchange fee (Amex is 3.5%). I phoned Westpac and was told the charge was new and was the result of the payment being processed overseas?. I asked how I would ever know this when I am paying on an Australian website in Australian $ and have an Australian Bank and was told it was my responsibility to enquire and not the service providers responsibility to inform me. I am really cross it is nearly $200. If I had known I could have paid via cheque. Final payment date is this weekend otherwise I would have paid via cheque and asked for a refund on my credit card. :mad:

This has happened to me on my final payment. I made a payment in March and was charged no fee but last week I made the final payment using my Westpac MasterCard and paid the final $5000+ in AUD on the Australian Website. I was charged a 3% foreign exchange fee (Amex is 3.5%). I phoned Westpac and was told the charge was new and was the result of the payment being processed overseas?. I asked how I would ever know this when I am paying on an Australian website in Australian $ and have an Australian Bank and was told it was my responsibility to enquire and not the service providers responsibility to inform me. I am really cross it is nearly $200. If I had known I could have paid via cheque. Final payment date is this weekend otherwise I would have paid via cheque and asked for a refund on my credit card. :mad:

It's a lesson learnt. Asking for the second approach would likely have cost you more, as the fee is extra. If the TA refunded the charge, they would only cover the cruise cost, not the fee... and then you may well have incurred a second fee for the refund of the second charge.

I haven't looked at Westpac's terms but have experienced similar myself due to a refund overseas due to merchant mistake (not trying to avoid fees!).

Just got the credit card bill, and sure enough have been hot with hefty credit card conversion fees

What terminology did the bank use to describe the fee? Was it listed as a foreign currency conversion fee; or foreign transaction fee?

I suspect it must have been the latter, but either way agree it is quite unacceptable to charge this on a AUD transaction. I have had Celebrity charge Visa cards with 2 different banks and neither applied a foreign transaction fee. Maybe time for you to look for a new bank?

What terminology did the bank use to describe the fee? Was it listed as a foreign currency conversion fee; or foreign transaction fee?

I suspect it must have been the latter, but either way agree it is quite unacceptable to charge this on a AUD transaction. I have had Celebrity charge Visa cards with 2 different banks and neither applied a foreign transaction fee. Maybe time for you to look for a new bank?

Unacceptable to you perhaps, but I've noticed it's becoming more prevalent. They charge it where the transaction occurs outside the country regardless of currency. (And the currency conversion fee is separate, and extra.) Whereas only one bank used to levy it on certain cards, that number is growing...

Edited by The_Big_M

I m Australian and in Australia. Have booked 3 cruises direct on http://www.celebritycruises.com.au and they quote and charge in AUD$...

Always pay with Mastercard and never had any fees or conversion costs.

Me too - up until last month. The suddenly my MasterCard started attracting foreign conversion fees.

Time to look for a new credit card.

The way I have avoided the annoying credit card charges is to do a normal bank transfer. Their bank details are on the bottom of your confirmation letter. I have done this for my last 2 cruises after I got caught out by fees on another one.

When I do the transfer I double & triple check the accounts are correct before I press the final confirm.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app on iPhone