Yikes! Noro on the Maasdam - two fold deep cleaning question please.

kazu

I definitely agree the WAYS it can be spread were accurate. But it is far more likely to be initially brought Onboard by passengers - particularly those without trip insurance who lie on embarkation forms to not be denied boarding.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've been on cruises where noro virus has occurred...and have seen people who are sick..."out and about"....no way they can hide it from other passengers or the crew.

Anyone with real Noro (not just an upset stomach) will not be able to hide it' date=' no way, no how - trust me.:([/quote']

Passengers with "Real" Norovirus hide it all the time.

How do I know?

Because they finally admit it to us when it gets so bad they can no longer stand it - or when we have a sea day and they are no longer worrying about missing a shore tour.

We have a very high number of passengers who load up on anti-nausea drugs, anti-diarrhea drugs, anti-vomiting drugs, etc.

They are able to reduce and hide their symptoms for 3 or 4 days while they run around infecting everyone else.

Unfortunately these drugs keep the virus inside their bodies, prolonging the sickness and keeping them contagious for a longer period.

Real Norovirus rarely lasts more than 72 hours in human bodies. But when these people finally turn themselves in and we ask them when the symptoms started, they usually admit that it has been 5 or 6 days ago.

These selfish people are the primary reasons that ships cannot get control of outbreaks.

Edited by BruceMuzz

Definitely my own pen. Always carry one anyway. As to Noro.... if you know you have it, so does everyone around you. There is no controlling yourself. I had it few years ago when it swept out college campus and believe me I could not have hidden the fact I was sick. I could not even crawl out to take my dogs for walks, fortunately some neighbors helped or I would have had to have done a massive sanitation job on my hallway. Not fun, no way, no how.

Susan

You are speaking from personal experience and perhaps do not realize that a percentage of the population can have a Norovirus infection with very few symptoms.

The CDC has determined that people with certain blood types are nearly immune to Norovirus. They can still be infected, but the symptoms are very mild - and sometimes completely non-existent.

A rather large percentage of Asian people are functionally immune to virus - even though they are infected. They just unknowingly carry the virus around and give it to everyone else.

If you would like more information on this, please Google "Norovirus and blood type"

Edited by BruceMuzz

Noro isn't even news any longer. It's part of cruising. We know how to treat it, and contain it.

Move forward, and look forward to your cruise on the 28th.

I really appreciate helpful posts.:rolleyes:

I am fully familiar with Noro thank you. I've been on enough cruises with it.

I was just trying to find out the approximate boarding times and IF they deep clean anyways if the ship is below the necessary percentage.

I didn't mean to start a discussion on Noro - I was just looking for experiences or thoughts.

You are speaking from personal experience and perhaps do not realize that a percentage of the population can have a Norovirus infection with very few symptoms.

The CDC has determined that people with certain blood types are nearly immune to Norovirus. They can still be infected, but the symptoms are very mild - and sometimes completely non-existent.

A rather large percentage of Asian people are functionally immune to virus - even though they are infected. They just unknowingly carry the virus around and give it to everyone else.

If you would like more information on this, please Google "Norovirus and blood type"

Nice to see you here. I was hoping that if you came on, you could answer the question somewhat - that is the question I asked as the OP. I didn't want to have a discussion on NORO - I was just trying to find out about boarding times and if they deep clean if the ship is below the required percentage.

It would have been really nice if you could have shared your knowledge as to the question asked. Noro is not the issue - I was just trying to figure out boarding times.

I don't need to hear about Noro. I don't really relish the possibility of a third cruise with it and I am fully aware of it and the pitfalls that goes with it.

I was just trying to plan how boarding would work.

We were on Veendam Feb.21st to Mar.9th and situation was similar to what Shelia described. Incoming cruise from San Diego had significant Noro issues. Ship received major "cleaning' and boarding delayed to almost 4pm. Passengers scheduled for return cruise had to depart the ship. Departed Fort Lauderdale under a code red. Every day the Captain came on P.A. system at least twice to remind people to wash their hand and to report symptoms immediately. The code red was lifted about mid cruise then reinstated the last two days of cruise. Captain advised this was caused by failure of some passengers to report symptoms promptly. When we arrived in San Diego another "cleaning" was scheduled. The passengers planning to continue on the 7day Mexican cruise had to leave the ship. HAL planned a San Diego Tour for them.

Seems to be many Noro issues in recent months.

We were on Veendam Feb.21st to Mar.9th and situation was similar to what Shelia described. Incoming cruise from San Diego had significant Noro issues. Ship received major "cleaning' and boarding delayed to almost 4pm. Passengers scheduled for return cruise had to depart the ship. Departed Fort Lauderdale under a code red. Every day the Captain came on P.A. system at least twice to remind people to wash their hand and to report symptoms immediately. The code red was lifted about mid cruise then reinstated the last two days of cruise. Captain advised this was caused by failure of some passengers to report symptoms promptly. When we arrived in San Diego another "cleaning" was scheduled. The passengers planning to continue on the 7day Mexican cruise had to leave the ship. HAL planned a San Diego Tour for them.

Seems to be many Noro issues in recent months.

thank you very much for sharing. It's appreciated.

Don't mind me, I'm just disinfecting this thread so nobody catchers the norovirus from reading the posts here.

blue_spray_bottle_thekraken.gif

LOL:p

How do I know?

Because they finally admit it to us when it gets so bad they can no longer stand it - or when we have a sea day and they are no longer worrying about missing a shore tour.

We have a very high number of passengers who load up on anti-nausea drugs, anti-diarrhea drugs, anti-vomiting drugs, etc.

They are able to reduce and hide their symptoms for 3 or 4 days while they run around infecting everyone else.

Unfortunately these drugs keep the virus inside their bodies, prolonging the sickness and keeping them contagious for a longer period.

Real Norovirus rarely lasts more than 72 hours in human bodies. But when these people finally turn themselves in and we ask them when the symptoms started, they usually admit that it has been 5 or 6 days ago.

These selfish people are the primary reasons that ships cannot get control of outbreaks.

I don't agree with you, based on a heck of a lot more than personal experience, but there is no point in arguing about it with people who believe they are experts.

Edited by Marco's Tia

Nice to see you here. I was hoping that if you came on, you could answer the question somewhat - that is the question I asked as the OP. I didn't want to have a discussion on NORO - I was just trying to find out about boarding times and if they deep clean if the ship is below the required percentage.

It would have been really nice if you could have shared your knowledge as to the question asked. Noro is not the issue - I was just trying to figure out boarding times.

I don't need to hear about Noro. I don't really relish the possibility of a third cruise with it and I am fully aware of it and the pitfalls that goes with it.

I was just trying to plan how boarding would work.

If it were me (based on past experiences) I would sit in my beautiful hotel room and head down to the ship at 2:30-3pm versus getting there at 11 and sitting in a waiting room till 3pm (been there done that,it's no fun)

If it were me (based on past experiences) I would sit in my beautiful hotel room and head down to the ship at 2:30-3pm versus getting there at 11 and sitting in a waiting room till 3pm (been there done that,it's no fun)

thank you:D

Don't mind me, I'm just disinfecting this thread so nobody catchers the norovirus from reading the posts here.

blue_spray_bottle_thekraken.gif

That is so funny! :D:D

I don't agree with you' date=' based on [i']a heck of a lot [/i]more than personal experience, but there is no point in arguing about it with people who believe they are experts.

Ummm.. Most of us do consider Bruce Muzz, an expert who a great deal about Psgrs & Crew... For more than 35 years he presently is & has been a Hotel Mgr on many Cruise lines & more than 28 different ships..:rolleyes:

Edited by serendipity1499

Just based on anecdotal observations, it looks like the delays run a few hours on average. That is, unless the ship makes the news - in which case it's a bit longer. Our Noordam cruise was in Code Orange for about half of the trip. The next pax boarded on time and the ship left on schedule.

I'm not pulling the information out of my buttocks, but it's not like we made a thorough study, either. We keep an eye on the sail-away boards and watch the ships leave port from our balcony.

Ummm.. Most of us do consider Bruce Muzz, an expert who a great deal about Psgrs & Crew... For more than 35 years he presently is & has been a Hotel Mgr on many Cruise lines & more than 28 different ships..:rolleyes:

I think it's best to only speak for yourself. I'm not sure how you can speak for most of us. When 2 different stories are told by the same poster on a subject the credibility goes down really quickly for me.

Edited by cruz chic

Being a Hotel Manager on a cruise ship does not qualify one to be an expert on a transmittable disease. Personally, I would be be looking for someone with considerable medical training.

That is so funny! :D:D

Being an expert in one field does not make one an expert in all. I consider myself a bit of an expert in the health field.... I wouldn't assume to be know everything in any other area.:rolleyes:

Yes, I do realize it. My minor degree was microbiology. But, these people do not realize what they have. If you have an active case.... and perhaps I should have used that term... you know you have it. There are any number of illnesses which someone may harbor but not show symptoms... and you can't really blame them EXCEPT that you would wish everyone to wash their hands well and often.

Susan

Also, you have to remember that people are highly contageous before they develop the symtems. It is what keeps those litle viruses alive and well (and mutating). You can't avoid exposure.... it is all around - grocery stores, hotels, public transport .... you name it. :eek: You try to avoid with good handwashing, hope for lots of luck ... and maybe you are one of the lucky few with natural immunity. Wish we couldl bottle that one.

Susan

Indeed' date=' what an awful assumption. And if someone waiting in line actually had Noro - no way could they hide it.:eek: There is an incubation period, too.[/quote']

I agree with you. People can be well and still be shedding the virus. The virus can be in the stool for up to two weeks, give or take a few days. Most people don't know this. Most public health depts. isolate the ill at home if they work in sensitive situations (caregiver, child care, food industry), for 48 hours after ALL symptoms resolve. Never understood that as it is known that the virus continues to shed for about two weeks.

Also, you have to remember that people are highly contageous before they develop the symtems. It is what keeps those litle viruses alive and well (and mutating). You can't avoid exposure.... it is all around - grocery stores, hotels, public transport .... you name it. :eek: You try to avoid with good handwashing, hope for lots of luck ... and maybe you are one of the lucky few with natural immunity. Wish we couldl bottle that one.

Susan

Just hope it isn't in the food! :eek:

How do I know?

THANK YOU!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Being a Hotel Manager on a cruise ship does not qualify one to be an expert on a transmittable disease. Personally, I would be be looking for someone with considerable medical training.

I'm a marine engineer, not an expert in communicable diseases, but I'm going to side with Bruce here. As a Hotel Manager for a cruise ship, I'd be willing to bet that Bruce was trained by the USPH, as I was required to be to hold a Chief Engineer's position, which is a division of the CDC, one of the world's leading authorities on communicable diseases. Part of the training is understanding the causes, symptoms, and transmission vectors for the various diseases that are common to cruise ships. Then, after the classroom work, when you get 2000-6000 people checking into and out of your hotel every week, you get a whole lot of field work in the practical application of this knowledge in a fairly short time. The USPH/CDC inspectors are usually impressed with how knowledgeable the vessels senior staff are about communicable diseases, even before attending formal training.

Talk about a major thread drift !

As the OP, the purpose of this thread was NOT to discuss NORO nor who is an expert and who isn't nor even how it spreads. There's countless threads where Noro is/has been discussed.

My thanks to those who did answer and offer recommendations or their experiences.