No mattress topper

littletyger

I'm sailing on the Ruby on Mar 29 with my 83 yr old mom. (Her first cruise. My second cruise, first on Princess) After reading through a lot of the posts on CC I decided I had better call to ask for mattress toppers since my mom & I both have some back trouble. I was told that they have a limited supply for twin beds and they are all already spoken for. Does that sound right? I know it's only 9 days away, but still...

Bedding on most, perhaps all, Princess ships has been upgraded in the past year or so. You'll likely not need a mattress topper.

If, after boarding, you determine you need one, ask you cabin steward. If there are any available he'll find some for you.

We used to ask for a topper, but determined they do not do much to improve a bad mattress.

Enjoy your cruise...

Lew

Well that's good news, Lew! I was reading a lot of horror stories on here. This is a really special trip with my mom and I don't want anything to ruin the experience. (or as little as possible, anyway!)

Thanks!

The only thing we "use" the mattress toppers for is to cover over the gap between the two twin mattresses when the bed is in the queen configuration. The toppers don't really help much if you're trying to deal with a bad back. As others have said, Princess is upgrading their mattresses and hopefully this will help with your and/or your mom's back!

Bedding on most, perhaps all, Princess ships has been upgraded in the past year or so. You'll likely not need a mattress topper.

Lew

Lew,

I keep reading about this upgraded bedding and have yet to experience anything but a rock hard bed on any of the ships we have sailed on within the past year.

I would rather have an eggcrate topper on request via my TA early on with the experiences so far then to wait until we board and all eggcrates have been spoken for.

I'm wondering if Princess will offer up info on which ships have had their mattresses upgraded? I keep hearing that it is "in progress" but most people posting here say it hasn't happened yet on the ship they are on. I requested one for our cruise about 2 months in advance and have not heard anything back on it. Hopefully its there or its a new mattress because I do find their mattress's very hard. (My DW loves them though):rolleyes:

I requested one for our cruise about 2 months in advance and have not heard anything back on it. Hopefully its there or its a new mattress because I do find their mattress's very hard. (My DW loves them though):rolleyes:

Just for your info, it will usually show up as a special services request on our booking summary our TA sends us, same as any other item preordered for your room.

If you book directly with Princess you may be able to see the same thing by printing your full booking summary document in your personalizer.

I'm wondering if Princess will offer up info on which ships have had their mattresses upgraded? I keep hearing that it is "in progress" but most people posting here say it hasn't happened yet on the ship they are on. I requested one for our cruise about 2 months in advance and have not heard anything back on it. Hopefully its there or its a new mattress because I do find their mattress's very hard. (My DW loves them though):rolleyes:

Drew,

I used to always fax a request ahead of time and it was never on the bed when we arrived. However, I just ask our steward and it's taken care of. Sometimes they have told us it might not be put onto the bed until the next morning. However, it's always been put on the bed as part of the first night's turn down. BTW, I agree with your wife. I've never really had a problem with the mattress. :D

Just for your info, it will usually show up as a special services request on our booking summary our TA sends us, same as any other item preordered for your room.

If you book directly with Princess you may be able to see the same thing by printing your full booking summary document in your personalizer.

Interesting, I don't think I have ever received a booking summary from my TA. Only a receipt from my final payment. Perhaps I should ask for one. Thanks

I agree. I've had pillowtop mattresses for the last two years on the Star, Island, Sapphire, Crown, Diamond and Royal Princess. Comfort is very subjective which is why mattress stores carry so many types. I've never had a problem on any Princess ship but found the beds on HAL and Celebrity excruciatingly soft.

This is the mattress from the Crown a year ago:

y2azy4u9.jpg

Edited by Pam in CA

I agree. I've had pillowtop mattresses for the last two years on the Star, Island, Sapphire, Crown, Diamond and Royal Princess.

Pam,

While I am sure you have pulled the lucky straw on each of your cruises, they have definitely NOT upgraded all rooms on those ships to the new mattresses , with deference to the Royal which may have loaded on nothing but the new mattresses to start with.

It would be nice if Princess could tell us which rooms have been upgraded, and which have the older matresses, but I doubt that level of granularity is kept with availability off the ship. Just like checking out the deck plan in choosing a better room, this would definitely be a data point I would use when selecting a room if known.

Edited by Dudleydog73

I've requested the mattress topper for my last two cruises (faxed my request in) and was told both times that none were available but when I boarded and asked my steward he was always able to find one (and he claimed that he never got the original request). I've decided not to worry in the future about this - though I'm sure that one day my luck will run out and none will be found!

Camelia

Boy I wish I could relate to this conversation. Long after this board began the bombardment of "the beds are so hard" threads, with even nastier comments on Princess' Facebook page, on my last three Princess cruises (Coral, Star, Grand) my beds have all been absolute mush. And the pillows even worse--though I always expect that when I travel as I use foam pillows at home.

Maybe the Meet and Greets should feature a "mattress exchange" where those of us who want to switch our Mama Bear mattresses for Papa Bears (and vice versa) can get together and drag them through the halls :rolleyes:

Edited by fishywood

We had terrific mattresses last month on The Ruby. I told our steward that they were the best we had ever had.:D

Mike:)

We also were on the Ruby in January for 10 days - 2 different cabins. The beds were wonderful! I'm a bit picky having had extensive spine surgery.

like mentioned above - wait and see and if they are not to your liking ask for the topper.