Missing the boat

andnosyd

So we've decided to take a risk it for variety of reasons and fly in the day our ship leaves. It leaves out of Barcelona with the next stop Valencia. If we miss the ship, we can easily rent a car one way and meet it the next day as Valencia is only about 3 hours away. Has anyone missed the ship before and caught up with it later? Can you explain how this works? Just want to go in knowing what to do if our flight does get delayed.

Thanks!

So we've decided to take a risk it for variety of reasons and fly in the day our ship leaves. It leaves out of Barcelona with the next stop Valencia. If we miss the ship, we can easily rent a car one way and meet it the next day as Valencia is only about 3 hours away. Has anyone missed the ship before and caught up with it later? Can you explain how this works? Just want to go in knowing what to do if our flight does get delayed.

Thanks!

I haven't a clue because we would never put ourselves in that position. ;)

The first thing you want to do is contact the port agent, who will contact the ship and the next port agent and make the necessary arrangements.

If you haven't already booked the flight, if you book it through HAL then it's their problem and expense to get you caught up.

Edited by jtl513

I would never do that either. You don't say where you are flying in from and your profile doesn't tell us where you live but we need at least two days to recover from jet lag. Why would you risk missing a day of your cruise? How long is your cruise.

The first thing you want to do is contact the port agent, who will contact the ship and the next port agent and make the necessary arrangements.

If you haven't already booked the flight, if you book it through HAL then it's their problem and expense to get you caught up.

The flight is booked through HAL, so that's why I'm not too concerned about missing the ship, especially since the next port is pretty close. I just wanted to know what needs to happen if our flight does get delayed as it gets in at 11:30 AM, which is only about 2 hours before the HAL posted 'latest flight should arrive no later then'…Thanks for the help.

I would never do that either. You don't say where you are flying in from and your profile doesn't tell us where you live but we need at least two days to recover from jet lag. Why would you risk missing a day of your cruise? How long is your cruise.

It'll be a flight within Europe as we have a business trip before the cruise, so we should be fine with jet lag and the flight is about 3 hours.

In that case they will be expecting you and will take care of everything. They might even be able to hold the ship for a while if it's close.

Good to know. Thanks! I guess an agent would be waiting at the airport then even if our flight is very late?

Good to know. Thanks! I guess an agent would be waiting at the airport then even if our flight is very late?
I expect they would be there for an hour ... maybe two. Look at Know Before You Go and get phone numbers. Or maybe call HAL now to get the Barcelona agent info.

edit: Last May the port agent was

Transcoma

Pl. Duc de Medinaceli, 5, bajos

Barcelona Spain 08002

but I don't have a phone number for them.

See https://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Shipboard+Life&contentMenu=Onboard+Communications&contentSubMenu=What+Are+Your+Emergency+Phone+Numbers?&WT.ac=pnav_FBG_Emergency for a general emergency phone number and, worst case, how to call the ship.

Edited by jtl513

I agree I wish you luck see you on the ship ..

If the air is booked through HAL then you have no worries. Hal will take care of everything to get you to the ship.

I wouldn't bet on it. Do a search where this has happened to others, with air booked by HAL. Although, I do agree that it may help if the air is booked through HAL. I think there is some sarcasm in some of these posts....

In that case they will be expecting you and will take care of everything. They might even be able to hold the ship for a while if it's close.

We live close to a port and see late cruise ship departures all the time when there are flights delayed.

Because of our work schedules we normally fly in the day of our cruise and have not had any problems yet (knock on wood). We're doing it again this Sunday but we have a direct flight and are not flying overseas.

Since you have your air with HAL, I think you will be okay (no sarcasm) and especially since the first port stop is only three hours away. I would not worry, go and have a great cruise!!

Sometimes life (family and work) intersect with vacation and some of us have no choice but to fly in the day of departure for a cruise.

My suggestion to the OP: ask someone very responsible and reliable to take on the task of notifying HAL (you will call them first) in case you are delayed. Give them the phone numbers in advance. Unless HAL knows for sure that you are still on your way they might not keep the agent at the airport. Ask your friend to be persistent in calling - sometimes they can be put on hold repeatedly until they speak to a living person. HAL might not hold the ship for you.

But, the good news is that you are departing from Barcelona - a 20 minute cab ride from the airport. Pre-Costa Concordia, we boarded our ship a half hour before scheduled departure - missing muster drill (no TSA rules in Barcelona). To be honest, I don't know if that will be a problem for you or not now. You might want to call HAL in advance and see if they will give you a more accurate window. Or maybe with someone with more recent experience will post.

Have a great cruise.

Edited by baggal
Grammar