Galveston - getting there

Cocoa Beach and Port Canaveral have are near many tourist areas with lots of places to go.

This is an island, 32 miles long, 2 miles at its widest and 50 miles from Houston. The west end has mostly weekend owners. In between are bedroom communities.

It is also a low income city with serious problems caused by Federal and State governments.

The majority who come to Galveston drive. There are plenty of rental car businesses in Houston but do not want their cars dropped off in Galveston.

This is a rental car business issue that feel it costs more than it is worth to have offices here.

No different than Europe where car rental offices aren't open on Sunday, close at noon on Saturday.

I appreciate the insight into Galveston Island. My family of 5 and I will be flying Southwest into Houston Hobby the day before our Navigator cruise on 5/18. Since I've never been to Galveston before, there's LOTS that I don't know about the town. Your explanations have been helpful.

Cocoa Beach and Port Canaveral have are near many tourist areas with lots of places to go.

This is an island, 32 miles long, 2 miles at its widest and 50 miles from Houston. The west end has mostly weekend owners. In between are bedroom communities.

It is also a low income city with serious problems caused by Federal and State governments.

The majority who come to Galveston drive. There are plenty of rental car businesses in Houston but do not want their cars dropped off in Galveston.

This is a rental car business issue that feel it costs more than it is worth to have offices here.

No different than Europe where car rental offices aren't open on Sunday, close at noon on Saturday.

sorry. duplicate post.

Edited by cjdixon4

I appreciate the insight into Galveston Island. My family of 5 and I will be flying Southwest into Houston Hobby the day before our Navigator cruise on 5/18. Since I've never been to Galveston before, there's LOTS that I don't know about the town. Your explanations have been helpful.

We look forward to see you on the same cruise...Jim & Cheryl&Linda&Mary...

If you want Tex-Mexican food, try the Original Mexican Cafe: http://www.theoriginalgalveston.com/

Edited by Jimnbigd

If you want Tex-Mexican food, try the Original Mexican Cafe: http://www.theoriginalgalveston.com/

Our 5/25/14 RCL Galveston Navigator cruise has a pre cruise dinner upstairs

at Original Mexican at 4PM in afternoon Saturday the 24th for a meet and mingle and dinner around 5!

Come on by,

if you are a cruiser and not even on cruise,

or if you are in town that day,

or one that is not on the Roll Call.

All cruisers are welcome!:)

Edited by ssb

Thanks Jim, and I'm looking forward to meeting a LOT of great people on that ship. Our 5/18 roll call thread is really great! I won't be attending the get-together at Moody Gardens on Saturday, but I sure will be looking for my fellow Cruise Critic family at the pool deck bar! :cool:

Since you said you had decided to get a hotel & stay a few days prior to your cruise... the Hilton, the San Luis Resort, and Moody Gardens all have shuttle services that you can sign up for to deliver you & your luggage to the port. Other hotels may as well, but these I have stayed with. I don't remember the cost.

Since you said you had decided to get a hotel & stay a few days prior to your cruise... the Hilton, the San Luis Resort, and Moody Gardens all have shuttle services that you can sign up for to deliver you & your luggage to the port. Other hotels may as well, but these I have stayed with. I don't remember the cost.

Thanks, I think that you were responding to me (not sure...LOL)! I actually booked Baymont Inn & Suites in Galveston back in January. They don't offer transportation to the port, but our airport shuttle service (Cool Tours Galveston) offered to pick us up the next morning and take us. Pretty good deal for our gang of 6.

Starting on April 15th, Uber started operating in Houston. (Much to the chagrin of the city council and taxi services.)

Based on a mock fare quote, it will cost around $127.00+ for 4 passengers. Not a bad price for private transportation.

And the hilton and San Luis also include free parking for the duration of the cruise;)