Annual multi trip travel insurance help

I have purchased annual policies for the past few years. I have a max of 45 days travel each time but some policies give a choice, my company gives, 30,45,60 days to choose from. I did have to make a claim 3 years ago as I was diagnosed with breast cancer after booking a European trip. It was still in the time period where many of the payments/deposits I had made were partly refundable. The insurance company (southern cross) eventually paid up but it was with a huge fight as they claimed my condition had been pre existing at the time of taking the insurance, even though I was unaware the big C was invading my body.

Always read and re read the fine print, and I also don't make phone calls to the insurance company if I have an query - I email in order to have written proof of my query and their answer.

I have purchased annual policies for the past few years. I have a max of 45 days travel each time but some policies give a choice, my company gives, 30,45,60 days to choose from. I did have to make a claim 3 years ago as I was diagnosed with breast cancer after booking a European trip. It was still in the time period where many of the payments/deposits I had made were partly refundable. The insurance company (southern cross) eventually paid up but it was with a huge fight as they claimed my condition had been pre existing at the time of taking the insurance, even though I was unaware the big C was invading my body.

Always read and re read the fine print, and I also don't make phone calls to the insurance company if I have an query - I email in order to have written proof of my query and their answer.

I hope you are well now. :):)

Here ya go:

http://www.travelinsurancedirect.com.au/pds

It turns out it's a bit of a compromise between the guesses above.

Cover does start from when you buy it for cancellation cover, as with other policies. BUT you can only buy 30 days before the start of your first trip. e.g. if you buy it earlier they wouldn't cover you if something happened e.g. 45 days out as you weren't compliant/covered.

See this note:"This policy must be purchased within 30 days

before the start of your period of insurance."

So, in terms of your dates, sort of good news that you can have the one policy to cover the three cruises IF you are willing to only buy in May and wear the risk until then.

Cant find the 30 day bit but I found this

5. When am I covered?

You should purchase your travel insurance as

soon as possible after you have begun to book

your trip because cover for cancellation costs

begins from when you purchase the policy and

we email you a Certificate of Insurance.

SO!

If the purchase within 30 day rule was correct then those that buy an annual policy each year would not be covered for cancellations of trips booked during the year of policy unless it was within 30 days of that policies first trip being taken:confused:

It covers domestic and worldwide, how do they know I am not travelling within Australia in April before my USA trip in May:confused:

It covers domestic and worldwide, how do they know I am not travelling within Australia in April before my USA trip in May:confused:

The dates you buy are when you're covered for travel costs - with an extra 30 day in advance to cover cancellation costs only.

If you buy with a start date of April 23, if your Australian travel is after that date, you are also covered for it.

If your Australian travel is before that date, you are not covered, aside from cancellation.

Also if I purchase my policy before 30 days of first travel does this mean I am not covered for any of the travel within that annual policy:confused:

If well designed, I suspect the site will not let you buy greater than 30 days. Or perhaps it lets you but they will then contact you and say it's not valid/needs to be changed.

Or maybe they don't check, and still let you buy. Ultimately it's about claiming, not buying though. Based on the wording in their PDS, your claim will be denied if you claim for cancellation more than 30 days before the coverage period. Only do it if you're comfortable with that risk.

However - given all the dates you've specified in your OP, you'll be fine now. Buy it to start from April 23. You'll then have your 30 days lead in cancellation time from now (Mar 24) until April 23, and the rest is your coverage period, which covers your trips in full.

Can you please explain.

Do you buy a normal policy at booking time to cover you in case you need to cancel prior to the 30 days prior to your cruise, when you would be able to buy an annual policy?

That's right Marion. We had business class airfares to cover, so bought the first policy (with pre-exisiting add-on) which will begins on the first day of travel. It covers us for cancellation from time of purchase/ air booking time. We could not buy an annual policy until 1 month before our departure date. Once the annual policy takes over, there will be a small price adjustment (hopefully downwards). The best feature of the annual is that it's gives you world wide cover. With USA cruises next year, this will slot into the 12 month period nicely.

Our TA suggested this purchase routine and it's worked in the past.

If well designed, I suspect the site will not let you buy greater than 30 days. Or perhaps it lets you but they will then contact you and say it's not valid/needs to be changed.

Or maybe they don't check, and still let you buy. Ultimately it's about claiming, not buying though. Based on the wording in their PDS, your claim will be denied if you claim for cancellation more than 30 days before the coverage period. Only do it if you're comfortable with that risk.

However - given all the dates you've specified in your OP, you'll be fine now. Buy it to start from April 23. You'll then have your 30 days lead in cancellation time from now (Mar 24) until April 23, and the rest is your coverage period, which covers your trips in full.

My cruise doesnt go into any loss if cancelled other than deposit until 56 days before cruise date (8th June) flights are transferable and hotels in US are 24 hour notice cancel with no penalty so i will purchase the TI in the next day or two to start late April.

Glad I asked the question though!

Not sure how it works?

I have paid in full for my June 14 cruise so need to purchase insurance soon.

We cruise in june but I want to cover my April 2015 and possible November 2014 cruise cruise with one annual policy.

I can purchase the Annual with an April 23rd 2014 start date April 22nd 2015 finish date but if something drastic happens between now and April 23rd 2014 when the policy starts will I be covered for travel arrangements that have already been booked and paid for that take place after the April policy start date:confused:

we took out an annual cover last year which started from the first day of our trip and not the date we took out the cover.We took out the insurance three months before our trip commenced.

That's right Marion. We had business class airfares to cover, so bought the first policy (with pre-exisiting add-on) which will begins on the first day of travel. It covers us for cancellation from time of purchase/ air booking time. We could not buy an annual policy until 1 month before our departure date. Once the annual policy takes over, there will be a small price adjustment (hopefully downwards). The best feature of the annual is that it's gives you world wide cover. With USA cruises next year, this will slot into the 12 month period nicely.

Our TA suggested this purchase routine and it's worked in the past.

Thank you, Anna. That is an interesting strategy.

we took out an annual cover last year which started from the first day of our trip and not the date we took out the cover.We took out the insurance three months before our trip commenced.

Seems different insurance companies have different rules.

Who did you take your annual cover out with?

The 30 day clause means It must be purchased within a period before 30 days of your first travel date! not that you cant buy it more than 30 days before your first travel.

So I can purchase today even though my first travel may not even be until march 2015 and I am covered for cancellations.

TID will allow me to start my policy on 28 April this year and my cancellation costs will be covered from day of purchase (today) same as a normal one trip insurance. Because I have purchased the annual insurance before 30 days of my first trip.

Thinking about it sensibly one trip insurance can be purchased a week before travel, you cant purchase Annual insurance one week before travel two weeks or even three weeks before first travel, you must purchase it "at least" 30 days before first travel:)

Edited by fishtaco

We also use TID. My understanding is that you can nominate the 'start date', but if something covered under your policy happens between now and then that prevents your travel, you can claim. I suggest you phone TID and clarify this point.

Yes this is correct, TID will not let you purchase insurance to "start" more than one month "after" the date of payment so if I try to buy a policy today with a start date of July I cannot do it.But if I want to take out a policy today starting anywhere between 31st March and 29th April to cover for that planned trip in July its possible and advised!

You can take out annual insurance without any planned trips and trips planned within the policy year will be covered as long as the first trip is no less than 30 days before the policy start day:)

My trip is May 30th, I can buy a policy today 30th march with a start date of April 29th and am covered for my May cancellations as soon as I have paid, I dont have to wait until "within 30 days" of my trip as suggested :)

Tids advanced nominated policy start date is restricted to 30 days:)

My May trip would not be covered if I purchase an annual policy on May 1st!

Edited by fishtaco

I can recommend the Virgin Airlines / Allianz annual policy @ http://agaassistance.virginaustralia.com/quote - none of this BS about dates of cover and 30 days limits in terms of time of purchase. I purchased our cover over 4 months before the commencement of the 12 months dates of travel period thus obtaining cover for earlier cancellations

As long as you have multiple trips over a 12 month period I think the premium of $458 for a couple is a bargain for Worldwide cover and you get Velocity Rewards points as well

I've managed to squeeze three cruises and one other overseas trip in while covered

Of course no ever wants to test the cover by making a claim but the cover prided, Allianz, is a major player

Edited by Bodogbodog

I can recommend the Virgin Airlines / Allianz annual policy @ http://agaassistance.virginaustralia.com/quote - none of this BS about dates of cover and 30 days limits in terms of time of purchase. I purchased our cover over 4 months before the commencement of the 12 months dates of travel period thus obtaining cover for earlier cancellations

As long as you have multiple trips over a 12 month period I think the premium of $458 for a couple is a bargain for Worldwide cover and you get Velocity Rewards points as well

I've managed to squeeze three cruises and one other overseas trip in while covered

Of course no ever wants to test the cover by making a claim but the cover prided, Allianz, is a major player

Your link goes to an error page! When I log onto Virgin they list a frequent traveller but will not go to frequent only daily:confused:

Sorry folks - trying to be too cute and had entered data into the form - use this link and choose your own dates - http://agaassistance.virginaustralia.com/home

Your link goes to an error page! When I log onto Virgin they list a frequent traveller but will not go to frequent only daily:confused:

Sorry about that - too smart for my own good

Edited by Bodogbodog

The 30 day clause means It must be purchased within a period before 30 days of your first travel date! not that you cant buy it more than 30 days before your first travel.

No, it's 30 days before you want full coverage to start. I did not see that the start date had to be the first travel date.

For a normal single trip though, of course you would choose the same dates. But I can't see why the above would be a requirement.

No, it's 30 days before you want full coverage to start. I did not see that the start date had to be the first travel date.

For a normal single trip though, of course you would choose the same dates. But I can't see why the above would be a requirement.

Neither can I:confused: its irrelevant when you purchase as long as you purchase it before you travel but with a TID annual policy for some reason you must purchase it at least 30 days before you travel:confused:

For some strange reason I read it to the word "you must purchase within 30 days of first travel" which really means you have to buy it from between 30 days out to when you go! But what they are saying is you must purchase it "At Least" 30 days before first travel:confused:

For some strange reason I read it to the word "you must purchase within 30 days of first travel" which really means you have to buy it from between 30 days out to when you go! But what they are saying is you must purchase it "At Least" 30 days before first travel:confused:

No, no, no :-). The wording is "This policy must be purchased within 30 days

before the start of your period of insurance."

It's only that you can't buy it to start more than 30 days from today. The reason is the policy is still covering for your cancellation cover before the coverage dates, and they obviously don't want to wear that risk for more than that time frame. (If they did, it would cost more, yada, yada.)

But you can purchase it to start from today... up to 30 days out (i.e. up to 28 April). The date it starts is when full coverage applies e.g. lost luggage, medical and so on, as well as cancellation.

If you're not travelling in the next 30 days, better to put the start date as late as you can. If you are travelling in the next 30 days, put the start date the same as the date you travel.

• 4 months later...

Hopefully someone can help me with this..does anyone know whether these annual travel insurance policies cover people travelling separately? I am travelling with my DD first on another trip before our cruise and DH will join us in Singapore and we will be taking the cruise together before flying home. The PDSs does not seem to explicitly say that all people covered under the policy must travel at the same time so i am wondering if we can take out a family annual policy...or whether we need to take out 2 annual policies. Not expecting to do separate trips for the rest if the year though so apart from this trip, any others we take will be as a family :confused: thanks.

Edited by SunnyinDubai

Hopefully someone can help me with this..does anyone know whether these annual travel insurance policies cover people travelling separately? I am travelling with my DD first on another trip before our cruise and DH will join us in Singapore and we will be taking the cruise together before flying home. The PDSs does not seem to explicitly say that all people covered under the policy must travel at the same time so i am wondering if we can take out a family annual policy...or whether we need to take out 2 annual policies. Not expecting to do separate trips for the rest if the year though so apart from this trip, any others we take will be as a family :confused: thanks.

We have Travel Insurance Direct annual policy and partners listed on the policy can travel independently and be covered. Pasted below is from their PDS.

A few words about the Annual Multi Trip plan.

›› This policy must be purchased within 30 days

before the start of your period of insurance.

›› Under a family policy, your adult travel

partner listed on your Certificate of Insurance

may travel independently of you.

›› Dependents listed on your Certificate

of Insurance are only covered whilst

accompanying you and/or your insured travel

partner.

We have Travel Insurance Direct annual policy and partners listed on the policy can travel independently and be covered. Pasted below is from their PDS.

A few words about the Annual Multi Trip plan.

›› This policy must be purchased within 30 days

before the start of your period of insurance.

›› Under a family policy, your adult travel

partner listed on your Certificate of Insurance

may travel independently of you.

›› Dependents listed on your Certificate

of Insurance are only covered whilst

accompanying you and/or your insured travel

partner.

Thanks....i should have said that i did look at TID (though not closely enough :o) but i cannot use them as my trip overall will be for more than the 38 day limit they have in place. :o

Thanks....i should have said that i did look at TID (though not closely enough :o) but i cannot use them as my trip overall will be for more than the 38 day limit they have in place. :o

We have also had trips more than 38 days, when that happens we just buy a single trip policy that covers the extra days.

We have also had trips more than 38 days, when that happens we just buy a single trip policy that covers the extra days.

Thanks! I did not realise you could do that....can i ask how that works? Given that it would be more economical for me to by a solo policy to cover myself and my DD for the first, do i just buy the policy to cover those extra days at the start of the trip...so have the start date as the date we leave australia and have a end date at the end of the addional days (even though we are still on the trip?) so that the other policy can kick in?

The other alternative is using InsureandGo which has a 45 day option :)

The other alternative is using InsureandGo which has a 45 day option :)

It doesn't look like I&G is an option if you require that.

The wording of their "family" policy is thus:

"This option provides cover for one person who is 18

years of age or older (the policy holder), as well as their

accompanying partner and/or accompanying

dependent children."

Note they say "accompanying."

That's why the rest of the terms don't describe what you're looking for, as the policy is more like extra benefits for other family members but still only covering the primary holder, rather than a policy covering the two adults separately.