first day tips

Heleftherakiss

I'm sailing on my first cruise (NCL Sky) in a week and I've done quite a bit of research and I know my mom and I will have a blast. I'm just wondering if there are "first day" or embarktion tips that we should be sure not to miss. We're planning on bringing swimsuits in a day pack, and someone posted that the MDR is open for lunch that day which not many people know about. And I gather that everyone goes out to watch when the ship leaves port. Are there other "must do" activities or things people typically do that first day? We're also planning on arriving at the port (Miami) around 10 or 10:30, since we're spending the night before in a hotel.

Thanks so much, everyone's advice has been super helpful, especially for someone like me who likes to plan and know what to expect!

There will be a lot going on, the deck party will be around sailaway, so if you want to dance and listen to the band you need to be on or near the pool deck.

The Daily (which you get when you check in) will have lists and times of things going on. If you want you can go get a tour of the spa and they do drawings but you have to be present to win. You might get a free spa treatment!

Otherwise just wander the ship, get to know the locations of things ....but there is NO PRESSURE, just do what you want to do. You're on vacation and have a great time!:D

Don't be late for the Muster Drill!

It's very important that all attend and it does not take long.

You do not need to bring your life vests.

Have fun.

Relax and enjoy your cruise!

~Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

I wear my swimsuit under my shorts or sundress, so I don't have to find a place to change....if your cabin isn't ready, changing in a public bathroom is just not ideal.

I board, get a "start of vacation" drink and head to the pool....it may be the only time you get your choice of seat!!!

I would try and meet your room steward and if there is anything you would like him/her to do like have the ice bucket filled everyday or extra towels everyday then is a good time to ask. If there is something you need just ask. Don't sweat the small stuff. Ditto on the lifeboat drill, do not miss it and don't be late. I think it's fun to watch the ship pull out of the harbor. Smile and say hello to people you meet in the hallways, both cruise staff and fellow cruisers. You only do your first cruise once, enjoy the moment. Take plenty of pictures. I still remember the name of our waiter on my first cruise and that was 35 years ago. Enjoy!

I wear my swimsuit under my shorts or sundress, so I don't have to find a place to change....if your cabin isn't ready, changing in a public bathroom is just not ideal.

I board, get a "start of vacation" drink and head to the pool....it may be the only time you get your choice of seat!!!

I do this, too!

Great tip, especially when my son was small. It's hot in the summer (wish I could remember how that felt right now!) so he always wanted to head straight for the pool after lunch.

Get the Dailies and read it while laying out. Get to know the schedules of things you and your family want to do.

Have a great cruise :)

Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day