Interior cheaper than Studio

I'm checking prices and options for my February 2016 birthday cruise and for the February 5 sailing date on the Serenade of the seas an interior is cheaper than the studio. This is traveling as a solo.

The interior is 160 square feet with twins that convert to a king. The studio is 108 square feet with only a twin.

I just find that so odd. I didn't even realize RCCL had studios (I knew they were putting them in the Quantum) but it just seems so weird that I could book an bigger room for less than a studio.

Makes me wonder if it's a mistake.

Does anybody have any ideas on why this may be the case?

An interior is listed at $1698-$1758 and the studio is $2558. I guess a possible reason would the there are fewer studios therefore they cost more but it seems RCCL wouldn't want a bunch of singles/solos opting for a regular interior that can hold 2 with studios still available that can only hold 1. Could hurt the revenue down the line when the ship actually sails.

I had booked a studio on the Serenade for this fall but upgraded to an ocean view because it was only 24 dollars more. I think there isn't a discount on the studio cabins because there are only 3 of them on the Serenade.

Welcome to my world! I've recently booked the Serenade solo for two cruises and noticed the same thing. For both cruises a cat Q and N cabin was less than the single cabin. As others have pointed out, you get 50 extra sq ft and double points for less money. It's weird, but not a mistake.

I did a TA in a cat Q cabin on deck 2 and was very happy with it - very close to the aft elevators, super quiet, and only two flights down from the Centrum, which is the hub of ship activity. An additional perk was that the gangway was often on deck 2, which was nice when returning from a day ashore. I'd never been in "steerage" before, but I'm going back for more on the Serenade.

The TA on the 11/6/14 Serenade, is one example of a significantly lower solo rate for the studio. Its actually a studio guarantee

$1242(studio gty) vs $1631(Q gty)

I'm wondering if you book the studio gty and get assigned a regular inside ,would you get double points.

Edited by TwizzlersAddict

I recently booked a B2B2B on the Radiance in the SI category. 2 of the 3 itineraries were priced correctly but the 3rd had the capacity of the SI as 2 pax so when booked as a solo, the priced was doubled by the RCCL website. How I knew this was that I booked at their website to put a hold on the same cabin for all 3 cruises until I could contact my TA the next day.

My TA recognized the error but it took him 3-4 days working with RCCL to correct their database. Eventually, my booking was priced correctly.

Now, if/when prices drop a few weeks before sailing because there are a large number of unsold cabins, I would not be surprised if a standard Inside price falls enough to make it a better choice for a solo than the SI. I am watching this and may learn if RCCL allows a solo in an SI to "upgrade" to a standard Inside when its fare x 200% is less than the SI fare already paid. Of course, on a B2B2B, the question will also be do I want to change cabins for 1-2 cruises for the additional space of the standard Inside.

I had booked a studio on the Serenade for this fall but upgraded to an ocean view because it was only 24 dollars more. I think there isn't a discount on the studio cabins because there are only 3 of them on the Serenade.

I booked a studio for the Baltics in 2015 and is was almost $1400 cheaper than an interior - Baltic cruises seem to be basically expensive anyway. I did notice the Serenade more expensive price and wonder about the reasoning. The three on the Brilliance went very quickly. I like the deck 4 location also.