High Tea

AJTWC

Not like they did in the past; but now you will see a time frame listed mid-late afternoon for snacks in the Windjammer. There will be numerous selections of tea you can make yourself and some finger snacks. Also, you may wish to make your own tea and grab a snack from Park Cafe, Lattetudes, Cafe Promenade, etc...

I haven't seen it but wish they did. I went for high tea yesterday, not on a ship but did have a gorgeous view of the Pacific Ocean

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

randomly got an invitation to high tea in the MDR on Serenade in Europe last October. Don't know if they invited a third of the ship on each of the sea days or if it was something more exclusive but it was quite nice. sandwiches and cakes and tea all served to the table.

This surely doesn't matter in the big scheme of things, but what most people are talking about in this thread is "afternoon tea" not "high tea". High tea is served later and is probably closer to what here (USA) would be an early supper. Things like cottage pie (similar to shepherd's pie) or a meat and cheese plate would be served. Any Brits out there who can maybe explain the difference better than I have?? :)

This surely doesn't matter in the big scheme of things, but what most people are talking about in this thread is "afternoon tea" not "high tea". High tea is served later and is probably closer to what here (USA) would be an early supper. Things like cottage pie (similar to shepherd's pie) or a meat and cheese plate would be served. Any Brits out there who can maybe explain the difference better than I have?? :)

I just learned something new ! I stand corrected, we went for "Afternoon Tea!" I thought they were inter-changeable terms, now we know. Thank you.

We just got off of a b2b on the Explorer (3-2 & 3-11) and the Chef did have high tea. It was by invitation, I believe for suite guests and Pinnacle members. It consisted of scones, little sandwiches w/o crust, sausage roll (not the correct term) and some other items, however I cannot remember. It was served with jams and whipped creme.

You have explained it very well. High tea is not afternoon tea.

Afternoon tea is still served on Carnival on sea days. Tea in teapots, hate the tea bag slopping on a saucer, and sometimes a pianist playing.

Scones with whipped cream, cucumber sandwiches, little smoked salmon open sandwiches and an assortment of cakes and pastries.

Sorry the Windjammer offerings is not the same experience.

I haven't seen it but wish they did. I went for high tea yesterday, not on a ship but did have a gorgeous view of the Pacific Ocean

At the Empress Hotel I'm sure? What wonderful memories I have of ' high tea' there when I was young:)

Rala you are correct.

http://coffeetea.about.com/od/historyculture/a/High-Tea-Vs-Afternoon-Tea.htm

Afternoon tea or low tea is the tea with jam, scones etc, normally a "ladies" tea. High tea was more working class see above.

Enjoy. I love afternoon tea. Had it on Celebrity & Princess, don't remember it on RCL though