Slam leaves the Breakaway today

jerseyralph

We are home from an amazing week on the Breakaway. It may have been our best cruise ever and we cruise as much as we can. We will be back on board in Sept!

We wanted to let others know that Slam Allen and his group left the Breakaway this morning. We had a wonderful time with him and are sad he will not be back on board. (Directly from his mouth).

Oh, well. Hopefully the replacement will be good. No info on that.

For those soon to board the Breakaway, be prepared for a great time. Book dining and entertainment online before you board. We did the unlimited dining for $119. each. Each night a different venue, Cagney's and La Cucina twice. Really great dining experiences. Our top pick: Le Bistro!

Howl at the Moon is FUN, especially with drunk spring breakers!

We are happy to answer questions.

Gina and Ralph

So glad you had a wonderful time; How many choices of steaks did you have at Cagney's?

Same on every ship

Ribeye* – 16oz

Bone-In Ribeye* – 18 oz

New York Strip* – 14oz

Filet Mignon* – 8oz/5 oz

Simply Grilled

Au Poivre Butter

Garlic Butter

Cajun Seasoned (spicy)

Gorgonzola Crusted Dijon Mustard Crusted Carmelized Red Onion

Edited by time2cruise1

We wanted to let others know that Slam Allen and his group left the Breakaway this morning. We had a wonderful time with him and are sad he will not be back on board. (Directly from his mouth).

WHAT??? Are you kidding me??? Do you know if it is just for a break or forever???

Loved Loved Loved them!!! We are booked and have been telling everyone about Slam and how much fun we have to look forward too hanging in Fat Cats with Slam Allen playing!!!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Same on every ship

Ribeye* – 16oz

Bone-In Ribeye* – 18 oz

New York Strip* – 14oz

Filet Mignon* – 8oz/5 oz

Simply Grilled

Au Poivre Butter

Garlic Butter

Cajun Seasoned (spicy)

Gorgonzola Crusted Dijon Mustard Crusted Carmelized Red Onion

Thanks for the reply

Edited by AF-1

He's gone. :(

His website shows a number of gigs throughout the summer, destroying my hope that he'd be back in time for the June 29th cruise.

I noticed on his website he wanted to get back on the road... :(

Glad you had a good time! Was the food in La Cucina good? That's the only specialty restaurant we are considering.

My daughter and I went to La Cucina and it was okay - probably wouldn't bother going again. Salads, calamari, brochette (skipped pizza course) she had chicken parm that was okay and I had grilled shrimp with rice that was quite tasty that also came with an breaded and fried eggplant roll up that was so tough I couldn't cut with a knife so didn't bother with it. Dessert was chocolate raspberry tart which was the most memorable thing we ate there. Many said it was like Olive Garden which wasn't what we found, but was a nice change of pace from MDR.

My daughter had chicken parm in Savor the next day and said it was actually better there.

For $15 per person its worth a try to see what you think.

Glad you had a good time! Was the food in La Cucina good? That's the only specialty restaurant we are considering.

La Cucina was probably the one I would not try to get into again. We did it twice only because it was the only one we could switch into from Le Bistro when we had a scheduling conflict. It was OK. It was not spectacular.

If I could choose on and only one, it would be Le Bistro. My husband agrees.

Have fun!

Gina

So glad you had a wonderful time; How many choices of steaks did you have at Cagney's?

I see that a menu list has been posted. More info:

The food at Cagney's is good. I loved the wedge salad and had the NY strip twice. I could not finish it. The mushrooms on the side were fabulous. The creamed corn is truly that: corn floating in heavy cream with a mild seasoning. We saw someone send the pea soup back as it as not the traditional American variation. We did not try it ourselves.

Book Cagney's as soon as you can firm up your plans. It did appear to sell out as did Le Bistro.

Also know that the waiter offered to have our dessert delivered to our room. We turned him down, but they had no problem offering.

Enjoy!

Gina

WHAT??? Are you kidding me??? Do you know if it is just for a break or forever???

Loved Loved Loved them!!! We are booked and have been telling everyone about Slam and how much fun we have to look forward too hanging in Fat Cats with Slam Allen playing!!!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Hubby and I believe it to be a great loss to the ship. He and his group offered a wonderful and intimate experience that we have not found on any other ship and we have sailed many. The last night he was joined by other musicians and we went to a rock and roll place that was just amazing. Then back to the blues. We were so happy to have had the privilege of being there.

I hope we cross his path again and that you do too!

Gina

Thank you for sharing your Breakaway cruise with us. Im still conflicted on the big ship thing. Hubby says no but there are places NCL goes with them that they do not with the smaller ones now and I want to see those places

Please do not be conflicted about the "big ship thing". What is really interesting about the Breakaway is that despite its size, it is VERY intimate. It is full of smaller venues and it does not feel big at all. In fact, I forgot how big the Breakaway is when I was on her for the week. When we stepped foot off her yesterday and walked into the terminal, I turned around and looked and told my husband I had forgotten just how big she really is.

I love that ship and have chosen her to renew my vows with DH in September. We had a wonderful experience and six years ago we vowed never to step onto a Norwegian ship again. Things have changed!

Enjoy,

Gina

We totally loved seeing Slam and the Grand Slams..He's a great musician and entertainer..I was honored to sit in with the band..Don't forget he'll be at BB Kings in Manhattan on May 9th..

Followed him with all of his equipment off the Breakaway yesterday. Yes, he has left for good. Happy we were able to see him!

You were so lucky! We loved him on the Epic and were going to book the Breakaway just to spend every night in whatever venue he was playing.

Best of luck to him but boo hoo for the rest of us!

Saw Slam on both the Epic and Breakaway. Saw lots of the crew sit in with him. Glad I got the chance to see him.

Big shoes to fill, but I had heard there were others NCL have been auditioning. So, they're taking his replacement seriously.

Edited by graphicguy

I was on the Epic in early December long after Slam left for the Breakaway. Fat Cats was being used for trivia and often was empty at night. I am not so sure they found a replacement on the Epic. I will be on the Breakaway in September...by then we will be able to assess just how seriously NCL took it!

I was on the Epic in early December long after Slam left for the Breakaway. Fat Cats was being used for trivia and often was empty at night. I am not so sure they found a replacement on the Epic. I will be on the Breakaway in September...by then we will be able to assess just how seriously NCL took it!

I am the OP on this thread and DH and I will be on the Breakaway in September, too (21st). If Fat Cats is empty, I will be truly sad and really annoyed.

Then there is Howl at the Moon. We had a blast with them.

I can only hope more than memories will be with us in September. We will have to wait and see, There is always RCCL's Quantum as fall unwinds. It is a bit pricier, but now doing a freestyle dining kind of thing and with cheaper parking!

Gina