The Prides final two cruises with Seabourn - Live-ish

Emperor Norton

Please continue with your daily blog. I had hoped to do this crossing as I've spent many happy days on the Pride. Unfortunately, my recovery from hip replacement surgery didn't go as quickly as I expected. Please toast to the passing of the Pride for me.:)

Day 8 Start of the TA

It was up early for breakfast and then off to see customs. I think the line was about 10 minutes by the time I got there. The Skybar was opened early for those of us remaining on board and Seabourn opened the Verandah for lunch (which when I went had more new passengers that continuing).

The muster drill was a muster drill except for the one person who was allowed to participate from the shade of the Skybar. I’m not sure why this was allowed but IMO shouldn’t be. This time around I didn’t notice rampant cellphone use during the safety briefing. People for the most part also refrained from talking during the demonstration.

After the demonstration ended some people went up to the Skybar. It took longer to fill up than it had the previous cruise, but it did get filled. When sail away ended it was time for the Captains reception for those of us continuing on from the previous segment. This turned out to be a little different. In the middle of the reception alarms went off and all the officers and non-service staff darted from the room. It turns out someone thought there was smoke in an engineering compartment and they were just following the procedural steps. Later on the Captain came on the PA to announce an all clear.

I so enjoyed your Sky Bar pictures ~shame, as "some folks" simply run scared ~also we know you wouldn't post negative or nasty writings about any passenger. Please continue sharing your daily reports & reviews.

I'm making a wager today that this TA Trivia will be fierce! I know of one passenger who takes the game VERY seriously and HAS to win.

Thanks again

MB

Hoping you will post a review on tonights "Captains Welcome" party and reception ~ I bet you'll see quite a few handsome men in Tux's instead of their dark suits.

I understand there are only 127 passengers aboard ~I have been so surprised that this TA was not a sell out months ago ~perhaps many of we longtime 'ole Crossing sailors have either passed or have health issues.

Looking forward to your report ~thanks!

MB

I understand there are only 127 passengers aboard ~I have been so surprised that this TA was not a sell out months ago

Martita - That just means that those on board will get even more personalized service with no "rushing around" by crew members! Honestly, though, I think in this day and age passengers with their day-to-day electronic toys expect constant entertainment only possible on a large ship. The little sisters "require" passengers to know how to read, socialize verbally, and enjoy restrained entertainment.

Emperor Chilla - Hope the crossing review continues on a positive note. The photos are good but please don't turn into a Hollywood paparazzo. Poor passenger behavior must sometimes be forgiven.;)

I'm a fan of people with potted plants on their heads;)

Theres more crew than passengers on this trip. I have a full video of the Captains reception which I will post when I return. I'll just say what others know - its the software (crew) not the hardware (ships) that make Seabourn.

Day 9 Start TA

The day started off wonky. I was up later than I expected (ok rocket surgeon - next time you book a TA cruise realize that in one direction you’re losing time every day !). I made it to breakfast on time. It seems they were expecting a surge, they had Justin, Leonie, Ilonia and Javos. For the first time I had their cinnamon raison French toast. Some people may love it, it wasn’t my cup of tea. The scrambled egg I had this morning had some odd mark on it as if it was from a maraschino cherry. The sausage was fine, the English muffin was toasted well enough for me.

Post breakfast I returned to my room only to see that my stewardess Jeane is still taking whatever it is that makes her bubbly and efficient. In other words my room was done (on my previous two Seabourn cruises my stewardess was all talk no work - the first or a random worker - the second).) Every time you pass her in the hall she's this effervescent ball of happy energy. Can I bundle that and take it home?

Lunch for the first time was in the Restaurant (YAY) Also important - don’t trust the Herald, it claimed the restaurant was closed I asked and was given the more accurate answer. It was nice not having to search for or fight over a table. Further it was nicer when one of the passengers invited myself and several other tables to join them. So without my having to pre-order it I had steak tartar and tomorrow it will be lobster Thermidor. I guess sharing a table with a former ship captain and foodie has its advantages ;)

The Skybar has not been nearly as crowded as in the past week. Its great having Nelson as the bartender. The Captains reception was very nice and it seems I made some eyes pop by not blowing it off and showing up dressed in an appropriate manner.

Dinner was aggravating as the dessert knife had a rusted clip and the response from the senior crew was laughter. Im guessing should any guests get tetnus they wont be laughing. Further the ‘fresh’ horseradish had about the flavor and texture of paper. When the passenger complained earlier today about the horseradish perhaps that was time to look at all of it?

After dinner I went to the club where I ran into the former ships captain as well as one of the officers. They truly seem to be out of Louis XIII. Drat. In the club I had a nice conversation with both David E. and some passengers that I had previously cruised with in the Baltics. I was surprised that people I recognized from previous cruises were on.

Forgot to mention that this AM the talk at the Sky bar was all about Martha. Especially the helicopter ticket selling version ;)

I haven’t seen Alison today which is odd.

Otherwise Its been fun and while I miss some people from the last voyage Im not missing the people that thought some of the intra island crossings were rough.

It seems besides crew and passengers the Captain is reading this. So thank you Captain for your excellent shopping advice today. I now have a bit of Seabourn history that I doubt they'll be replicating.

Edited by Emperor Norton

True report as to my offering Seabourn complimentary helicopter Atlantic ocean tours on our TA Crossings ~I would saunter up to the Sky Bar dressed in my official olive green jet pilot jumpsuit (provided by a good Seabourn friend, retired Assn. Secretary of the US Navy, Major F.W.) badges, medals and my official Seabourn clipboard for sign ups. Of course, being FREE passengers lined up for this exciting ocean tour. One voyage, I counted 63 names and their suite numbers! Captain Anderssen always enjoyed this special excursion event and would explain to the "sign-ees" that the tours would be weather permitting!! Believe it or not, I would even receive calls in my suite asking, "will these helicopter free tours be offered next week?" Answer....."of course, if the weather is satisfactory."

Thank you for posting yesterdays Pride happenings! We are enjoying reading your reviews.

MB

Martha,

My "sailor boy" got a good chuckle when I read your post to him---he was happy you put the jumpsuit he helped you procure to such good use.(FYI no "major " in the title). On our first Seabourn cruise our TA, the wife of one of his Pentagon fellows, registered him by his official title, the Honorable Mr. Xxxx. I was quite mortified when he was introduced to the Captain that way in the receiving line ! We now travel incognito as Mr and Mrs Chairsin.

BTW, today would be the perfect day to offer the helicopter rides to the passengers.Sorry you are not there to sign them up. Happy April Fools!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Tonight's Highlights -

11:11 AM Cooking Demo with Julia Childs - Please meet on Deck 12 in the Cooking Quarters

4:01.14 PM Swimming with the Dolphins - Please meet in the Seabourn Special Spa in your best swimwear!

6:06PM Sing-a-long with Luciano Pavarotti - Please meet in the Veranda Cafe with your best vibrato!

Edited by Emperor Norton

Surely wish I could have been aboard the Pride today ~yes, Captain Anderssen and I could have really pulled off the helicopter tour joke on the passengers......he talked of the "free excursions" the other day in an e-mail I received from him.

All is well on the Pride ~so far King Neptune has been kind ~no motion on the ocean.

Sending big hugs to you and Sailor Boy,

MB

Emperor Norton,

Please do post photos of those special events.

Martha,

Speaking of fooling people , I do remember the time that one of your tricks backfired. On our Panama Canal cruise you emailed the chef and told him it was my birthday . So with David e's help we played a trick on you.He sent you numerous emails telling you that you friends Mr and Mrs Chairsin we're behaving quite badly. You were of course mortified that these people you told him were nice were making you look bad.Finally as we sailed through the canal the three of us took a selfie with a sign saying "April fools --- we love you Martha" and sent it to you . You were a good sport!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Awww, the webs we weave! I do indeed remember telling David E what friendly, seasoned sophisticated travelers you two were and how much he was going to enjoy being with you ~~ha ha ha Yep, 'yall sure turned the tables on me!

I enjoy viewing the port webcams so much and will watch the Pride dock in Funchal on April 8th. Madiera has the best cameras. If interested you may want to take a look.

MB

Late night last night. The evening started with me being the last place of the winners for the days mini golf competition. This was followed by the captains reception (videod need to get back to dry land to upload that), dinner and then cocktails in the club. Blissfully smoke free club I should add - at least when sitting at the bar.

Today started off on the wrong foot. I woke up about the same time the Sky bar opened. Oops, no breakfast. The morning was spent watching the waves go by.

Lunch today was again in the restaurant. The restaurant was very cold, prompting some passengers to head for warmer parts of the ship to eat. After lunch it was time for more exciting wave watching and then a disastrous round of mini golf. Can’t win them all.

Trivia is still trivia, it seems the lecturer is informative but very dry in his presentation. I haven’t gone so that’s just what I picked up from talking to other passengers.

Something strange was afoot at the Circle K. Err, in the mid-ship hot tubs. It seems some officer and his red-bull were going for a swim (rumor has it that this was in retaliation for some passengers mattresses ending up on the roof of the ship).

Pre-dinner cocktails in the club followed by a special order of lobster Thermidor (which wasn’t flambeed table side much to the chagrin of the person who had placed the order) followed by flambeed cherries jubilee and a dance party on deck.

After all that the club was very quiet so it was time to call it a night.

Karl claimed it would be war if they went after his Red Bull. So perhaps some third party could do that to set them off again ;)

After relenting and using a wake up call I made it to breakfast this morning. Odd that the morning temperature in the restaurant is warmer than in the afternoon. Justin, Leonie et al were present bright and early.

I forgot to mention that the Bar Team liquor fairy visited my cabin the other day and left me a present. Thank you Bar Team liquor fairy.

I keep procrastinating on editing my photos, but Id rather be outside while the weather holds and sunlight doesn’t help. I would however like to be able to return with fully edited photos and only have to worry about which mish-mash of video codes is working best for you-tube this particular millisecond.

Lunch today was the Skygrill and them specials were lamb or chicken skewers. Sadly no pita, or yogurt sauce to make a nice gyro.

After lunch it was a little more photo editing and then down time until dinner.

Dinner tonight was in the Restaurant with Melissa Driscol, one of the entertainers. (side note - why can a salad at lunch come already dressed but at dinner it now seems you must dress it yourself?) we had Leoni prepare an excellent Steak Diane tableside. This was followed by fresh from the oven Salzburg.

Tomorrow night has something different in store.