Time to be back on board?

Martell1979

Hi everyone. I have picked up a lot of tips from reading on this site but I still have a question. If we are due to leave port at 6.00pm what is the latest time we should be back on board? I am looking to book a snorkelling trip in Barbados and want to make sure I don't miss the boat,

Thankyou

It depends on the cruise line, but you must be back aboard generally 30 minutes before they leave.

The departure time is posted outside by the gangway and is usually publish din the ship's newsletter.

Don't be late. You will be left ashore....

Different lines may have a different "all aboard" time, but typically it will be 30 minutes prior to departure time.

I *always* plan to be back on board no less than one hour prior to departure to allow for delays, such as traffic...

Where does the snorkeling trip leave from? How long will it take to get there back to the port?

Aloha,

John

The all aboard time varies by ship and cruiseline and also depends on your port call. Generally all aboard time is 30 minutes prior to departure and is always posted in the ships daily activities planner that is placed in your stateroom each night. The all aboard time will also be posted at the ships gangway where you leave and reboard the ship.

Be sure to plan your excursion accordingly as if you are doing one on your own the ship will not wait for you.

Hi everyone. I have picked up a lot of tips from reading on this site but I still have a question. If we are due to leave port at 6.00pm what is the latest time we should be back on board? I am looking to book a snorkelling trip in Barbados and want to make sure I don't miss the boat,

Thankyou

Do NOT use your cell phone to keep up with the time as some ports will be on a different time than the ship!!

I saw a young couple that missed getting back on a ship in St Martin......(which does not recognize Daylight Savings Time). They were an hour off....:eek:

Edited by GTO-Girl

As other posts, latest back-on-board is usually 30 mins before the advertised sailing time, but do allow extra time for delays - most folk allow an extra half-hour.

I'd suggest longer if snorkelling from a boat (breakdown?). Or from a beach south of the port - you have to go through Bridgetown in the rush-hour.

All the advice on this thread relates to a port-of-call visit.

But if this is the day you arrive on a fly-cruise, you'll not have time for any activities or exploration save mebbe an hour or so to look round the terminal shops.

And if it's second day on a P&O (or Thomson?) Barbados embarkation (overniting in port), back-on-board will be an hour or so earlier to fit in muster drill.

I suggest you take the Smurf's advice & book for the morning if possible.

JB :)

My personal comfort zone is to be back at least one hour before sailing time, even more in certain ports where excursions might be quite a distance away or involve transportation that could be delayed.

Once back near the ship we may spend some time shopping or walking in the area around the dock, keeping an eye on the time.

Thankyou all for your advice. I have to confess I stated Barbados (our embarkation port) I should have said Bonaire!! We have provisionally booked Woodwind for snorkelling trip 2.00 to 5.00. Pick up at pier at 1.30, drop off at pier by 5.30. They have guaranteed the drop off time but now I am getting nervous. What would you do, cancel or go? Beginning to think we should cancel and perhaps book snorkelling trip with ship. I know it's my choice but would like to know what you would do.

Thankyou so much from a novice cruiser :).

30 mins. prior to sailaway is "all aboard"....you will be informed in the daily newsletter about these things.

Also, bring a watch...do NOT rely on your cell phone for the time. Sometimes, the ship is on a different time than your ports, so before you leave the ship in the morning, make sure your WATCH is set to ship's time (there are clocks everywhere!). Your phone is likely to show local time, and that can cause you to miss the ship!

If you book excursions thru the ship, they take care of the time issue for you.

Thankyou all for your advice. I have to confess I stated Barbados (our embarkation port) I should have said Bonaire!! We have provisionally booked Woodwind for snorkelling trip 2.00 to 5.00. Pick up at pier at 1.30, drop off at pier by 5.30. They have guaranteed the drop off time but now I am getting nervous. What would you do, cancel or go? Beginning to think we should cancel and perhaps book snorkelling trip with ship. I know it's my choice but would like to know what you would do.

that is cutting it too close in my opinion...too much can go wrong with just 30 minutes leeway. I would not enjoy my excursion for worrying about missing the ship.

Google "Pier Runners" to see what can happen.

Cruise lines play rather too-heavily on their guarantee, they tend to over-egg the risks of doing anything other than taking an over-priced ship's tour.

The question is frequently asked on Cruise Critic, "does anyone know of someone on a non-ship excursion who's missed their sailing".

In the years I've been on CC I've seen no-one posting that they have. No-one. Nor have I heard of it elsewhere - not first-hand, not second-hand, not tenth-hand.

Plenty who've done their own thing & fouled-up. Mis-understood their back-on-board time or mis-judged the time to get back or not allowed a margin for delay or simply got drunk. :rolleyes:

Snorkelling in Bonaire is best off No-name beach, which is on the adjacent little islet of Klein Bonaire. And it's a pound to a penny that's where the guy will take you. The jetty will be close to your ship.

An experienced operator is going to take no chances - his reputation is on the line - and I'm sure he'll be aiming for an earlier return.

But a quoted 5.30 drop-off at the pier allows no margin.

Is this an excursion specifically for folk from your ship?

It's certainly worth e-mailing the guy to express your concern, see what he says.

Edited by John Bull

Hi John Bull. Thanks for the advice. I made the provisional booking based on the info provided by the company in which the owner stated the following:

"You know we are responsible for you and have to pay all expenses for you and 23 more to catch up with the ship on your next island. That is VERY expensive so we have backup and backups on the backup to prevent that from happening.

You will be back onboard the ship for your all aboard 17.30 100 % guarantee.

Please let me know if you change your mind.

Best regards"

So sounds fine, particularly if their jetty is not far from the cruise pier. It's just that I'm getting last minute nerves!!

Thanks

I've just googled

Woodwind snorkel Bonaire reviews

Can I suggest you do the same.

Highly regarded on lots of threads here on Cruise Critic, on TripAdvisor, and elsewhere. Only scanned them, but didn't find a bad word. :)

I wouldn't put much faith in anyone other than the cruise line taking responsibility if you miss the sailing, but with all those good independent reviews - especially from cruisers - I'd be confident that's not going to happen, though I can understand others being more cautious.

If you've snorkelled before & have got your own gear, you could alternatively take the water taxi to Klein Bonaire & snorkel from the beach.