Car Service from Messina to Taromina?

Midnight Blue

My family (3 adults) will be on the NCL Jade this October, docking at the port of Messina. We would like to to visit Taormina for the day. Here's the deal:

1. We would like a car service to take us to Taormina and then back to Messina. We know there are cheaper ways of getting there, but just go with me on this -- we'd like a car service.

2. We'd rather not leave our transportation to chance by taking a cab and none of us like riding on the kind of big bus NCL is likely to provide as transportation there and back.

3. We don't want to go anywhere but Taormina. No Mt. Etna, no Godfather tour. Just Taormina.

I tried to book with Sicily Limousine, but they won't have the driver just take us to Taormina. They tell me we HAVE to take one of their tours and go other places. :confused:

Anyone have any options? Again, I realize this isn't the most cost effective way of doing it, but for a number of reasons, cost isn't a big factor here.

Thanks in advance for your help.

My family (3 adults) will be on the NCL Jade this October, docking at the port of Messina. We would like to to visit Taormina for the day. Here's the deal:

1. We would like a car service to take us to Taormina and then back to Messina. We know there are cheaper ways of getting there, but just go with me on this -- we'd like a car service.

2. We'd rather not leave our transportation to chance by taking a cab and none of us like riding on the kind of big bus NCL is likely to provide as transportation there and back.

3. We don't want to go anywhere but Taormina. No Mt. Etna, no Godfather tour. Just Taormina.

I tried to book with Sicily Limousine, but they won't have the driver just take us to Taormina. They tell me we HAVE to take one of their tours and go other places. :confused:

Anyone have any options? Again, I realize this isn't the most cost effective way of doing it, but for a number of reasons, cost isn't a big factor here.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Based on what you said, I definitely would not book with Sicily Limousine.

You might also want to consider that the regular taxis will be willing to do that kind of transfer and even wait at Taormina (if you are willing to pay for their time). We assume you have already considered just using the transfer service/excursion provided by your ship. We also assume you are aware that you are talking about a 65 mile (round trip) transfer!

Hank

Thats crazy….. we used them and they did whatever we asked…..we went first to Castelmola (just above Taormina) for the views - SPECTACULAR ! and then down to Taormina where he dropped us off at one end and picked us up at the other end……. he was charming and we had a great conversation about him, his dog, his family and living in Sicily !!!!

That is too bad they have changed their policy ….. a car service is just that a service you are paying for and should have complete say so (if its feasible to do what you want to do that is)

Side note: just checked the website and it still shows a Taormina tour……just Taormina…… I would check with them again - maybe someone was misinformed.

http://www.sicilylimousineservice.com/sicily/Taormina_tour_sicily.asp

Edited by texancruzer
add side note

Texancruzer-- so I sent them the link you posted and was told--again-- that they won't just take us to and from Taormina. There's one additional stop on that "tour" (although it appears to be short). I'm beginning to think there must be some issue with being a tour service v. functioning as a taxi that's at play here and for whatever reason, they can't appear to be a taxi service. I may just go with it, because it's the option that's closest to what I want. Thanks for your help.

Texancruzer-- so I sent them the link you posted and was told--again-- that they won't just take us to and from Taormina. There's one additional stop on that "tour" (although it appears to be short). I'm beginning to think there must be some issue with being a tour service v. functioning as a taxi that's at play here and for whatever reason, they can't appear to be a taxi service. I may just go with it, because it's the option that's closest to what I want. Thanks for your help.

They do offer taxi service. Book them as a taxi.

You know I do remember a quick photo op stop along the way…… we took some amazing pictures and it took maybe 5 minutes - not a big chunk out of the day.

We chose to also go up to Castelmola which is a tiny village above Taormina. It is VERY scenic and he got us there before anyone else…..we had the place all to ourselves and I got some amazing photos with no one in them !!! Took maybe 30 minutes. Then down to Taormina….. had lunch there at a wonderful restaurant with an amazing view ! Did a bit of shopping and just looking around. It actually started drizzling while we were there….. but that didn't stop us as we purchased some cheap umbrellas (they suddenly appeared everywhere when it began raining :D ) OH and be sure and get some fresh cannolli while there…..best I have ever eaten - took 2 extra back to the ship for a late night snack too ;)

I would highly recommend Mario Astone, his website is http://www.sicilywithmario.com.

We used Mario for for a cruise stop in 2010 for Taxi service to Castelmola and Taormina. We had such a great time my group decided to do a land trip to Sicily in 2012 and hired Mario for whole week. Had a wonderful time thanks to Mario.

If you have time, have lunch in Castelmola at Gallo Cedrone.