Tipping questions...

Antman1131

This would only be true in an establishment who kept a portion of the cash tips to throw staff parties, etc, instead of paying all cash tips directly to the employees. I have never worked in such an establishment, although they might actually exist. I also leave the tip in place every time, and would never argue that..

Robin

There are plenty of establishments where all of the tips are collected and then distributed evenly to the employees, with management keeping nothing. There are also plenty of establishments where the waitstaff is required to tip out other staff (such as the bus person).

...On land do you always tip the identical amount or percentage everywhere you go? You never vary your tip in a restaurant or elsewhere based on quality of service?

There is a large segment of U.S. population that does their fixed percentage, and even down the penny. I do not want to generlize, but there are some that will use a calculator and not leave even .$04 extra.

There is also a certain ethnic group that rarely tips. Ask anyone is the service business and they will explain both of the above groups.

And, there are certain cultures that do not tip anything like Americans do. (oops, most Americans).

Add to this what the customer was 10+ years ago on cruiselines. They handed out envelopes along with guidelines for tipping. Some tipped well. Some people went as far as skipping dinner the last night to avoid not giving an envelope to their server. That probably had LOTS to do with the changes.

There are plenty of establishments where all of the tips are collected and then distributed evenly to the employees, with management keeping nothing. There are also plenty of establishments where the waitstaff is required to tip out other staff (such as the bus person).

I totally agree with this, I've worked at a few of these establishments. I meant that I don't know of any that take some of the collected tips aside before giving them out to the staff, as NCL does. I'm not sure you understand what I'm saying... NCL collects the service charge (let's say $100) and gives only some of it directly to the employees (let's say $80). They keep the other $20 to provide "incentive programs" for the staff. II don't know of any land restaurants that pool the same $100 in tips, only distributing $80 back to the employees, keeping the other $20 for employee parties, etc... That's the difference I was trying to point out... Oh jeesh, nevermind....

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

But let's just for a minute say for purposes of a hypothetical argument that you're right...that tipping and the service charge are the same. The service charge is billed at $12 per day. What if the passenger is so happy with the service they've received from their steward, waiters, etc. that they don't think those crew members' share (even though we don't know what that share is) of the service charge isn't sufficient reward for the job they did. Why isn't appropriate at that point to offer an additional tip? Why is that, in your words "the ignorant tipping twice" ? On land do you always tip the identical amount or percentage everywhere you go? You never vary your tip in a restaurant or elsewhere based on quality of service?

It's not hypothetical, I am right. The service charge is DISCRETIONARY. It is absolutely your right to adjust the DSC, up or down, depending on your service received.

The agenda I speak of is fooling the ignorant into believing they have not tipped by paying the DSC and they are obligated to tip twice. Not because they want to tip twice but because some on these boards falsely convince them they have not tipped with the DSC. If they want to tip twice, great. However, they should be informed that by paying the DSC they have already tipped a fair amount.

If you cruised with NCL when they rolled out freestyle you would know that NCL clearly explained the DSC was the new way to tip while on an NCL cruise. No more envelopes or tracking down your waiters on the last night. NCL is slowly but surely trying to backtrack on the purpose of the DSC so they can get away with having the passengers directly paying the staff more thru the DSC and then an additional tip.

I totally agree with this, I've worked at a few of these establishments. I meant that I don't know of any that take some of the collected tips aside before giving them out to the staff, as NCL does. I'm not sure you understand what I'm saying... NCL collects the service charge (let's say $100) and gives only some of it directly to the employees (let's say $80). They keep the other $20 to provide "incentive programs" for the staff. II don't know of any land restaurants that pool the same $100 in tips, only distributing $80 back to the employees, keeping the other $20 for employee parties, etc... That's the difference I was trying to point out... Oh jeesh, nevermind....

Robin

Okay, now I see your point (DW says I can be slow:o).

It's not hypothetical, I am right. The service charge is DISCRETIONARY. It is absolutely your right to adjust the DSC, up or down, depending on your service received.

The agenda I speak of is fooling the ignorant into believing they have not tipped by paying the DSC and they are obligated to tip twice. Not because they want to tip twice but because some on these boards falsely convince them they have not tipped with the DSC. If they want to tip twice, great. However, they should be informed that by paying the DSC they have already tipped a fair amount.

If you cruised with NCL when they rolled out freestyle you would know that NCL clearly explained the DSC was the new way to tip while on an NCL cruise. No more envelopes or tracking down your waiters on the last night. NCL is slowly but surely trying to backtrack on the purpose of the DSC so they can get away with having the passengers directly paying the staff more thru the DSC and then an additional tip.

Except neither NCL nor the people on these boards do that (at least I haven't seen it). NCL says in their FAQ that there is no need to tip. Posters on this board say the same thing- there is no need to tip over and above the service charge. In fact if someone were to actually say "you have to leave a tip even if you've paid the service charge" they would very likely be very soundly corrected by many on this board. Yes, if you feel that you've received exemplary service and would like to reward an employee with a tip you are more than free to do so, but that is not the expectation.

I have cruised with NCL for more than 20 years, so I certainly was around when they rolled out the service charge and I'm fully aware of why it was done.

Your contention that they are trying to backtrack on the purpose of the service charge is nonsense. Their explanations of the service charge and tipping are far more clearly written today than they were in the past. Nowhere are they holding a gun to anyone's head to tip even a dollar beyond the service charge. In fact it's exactly the opposite. Here's what the tipping FAQ says, in part: "In other words, there is genuinely no need to tip but you should feel free to do so if you have a desire to acknowledge particular individuals".

"In other words, there is genuinely no need to tip but you should feel free to do so if you have a desire to acknowledge particular individuals".

Or in the words of a regular poster on these boards:

icon7.gif Remember you can adjust the Discretionary Service Charge (DSC), up or down, by simply visiting the customer service desk. You do not need to provide a reason for your adjustment. :)

icon7.gif Remember you can adjust the Discretionary Service Charge (DSC), up or down, by simply visiting the customer service desk. You do not need to provide a reason for your adjustment. :)

You may not need to provide a reason but you will nonetheless be asked for a reason and they may even be insistent about it.

Insistent about what exactly? Do they have security guards on board with thumb screws?

Insistent about receiving a reason for an adjustment to the service charge (when it's being adjusted downward in any case). I doubt they would go so far as the thumbscrew stage, but when the service charges are adjusted management wants to know why, the presumption being that if the service charges are being adjusted downward it must be because of sub-par service and of course management wants to work to rectify that. So, with an employee's job potentially on the line, yes, they will want to know why the service charges are being adjusted. (I have read the accounts of several people who have adjusted the service charges who spoke about the difficulty they had in doing so.)

Insistent about receiving a reason for an adjustment to the service charge (when it's being adjusted downward in any case). I doubt they would go so far as the thumbscrew stage, but when the service charges are adjusted management wants to know why, the presumption being that if the service charges are being adjusted downward it must be because of sub-par service and of course management wants to work to rectify that. So, with an employee's job potentially on the line, yes, they will want to know why the service charges are being adjusted. (I have read the accounts of several people who have adjusted the service charges who spoke about the difficulty they had in doing so.)

You seem to be overlooking the fact that the service charge is DISCRETIONARY.

You seem to be overlooking the fact that the service charge is DISCRETIONARY.

I am not overlooking anything, I am simply recounting what has been reported on here as a cautionary tale that service charge adjustments aren't necessarily as easy to make as some would suggest, you will be asked for your reason for adjusting the service charge. The service charge is expected to be paid, passengers have the discretion to adjust it (again, we are talking a downward adjustment) should they have a service related issue that isn't rectified to their satisfaction. And yes, if you are insistent enough they will allow you to make the adjustment without a reason.

The post you're quoting is about tipping (something offered in addition to the service charge), not about the service charge itself.

Talking about something to remember...you should remember that they're two different things. The service charge is automatically charged to your account by NCL and you are permitted to adjust it. A tip is an amount of cash offered directly from you to a crew member.

You may not need to provide a reason but you will nonetheless be asked for a reason and they may even be insistent about it.

Haha, if you are made of jello then you may be intimidated into giving some kind of answer. That sounds more like a personal problem though....

No means no.

Talking about something to remember...you should remember that they're two different things. The service charge is automatically charged to your account by NCL and you are permitted to adjust it. A tip is an amount of cash offered directly from you to a crew member.

Incorrect. The DSC is one form of tipping. Cash is another. The DSC was rolled out 14 years ago and its purpose was clearly explained to take the place of your cash tips. To deny that is to deny fact.

Incorrect. The DSC is one form of tipping. Cash is another. The DSC was rolled out 14 years ago and its purpose was clearly explained to take the place of your cash tips. To deny that is to deny fact.

I really don't mean to be obtuse or anything here but if this is the case, how come ( as njhorseman says as well )the service charge is automatically charged to your account by NCL and you are permitted to adjust it yet a tip is an amount of cash offered directly from you to a crew member. Surely this makes them two different things......as per the explanation in NCL's faq's? :confused:

Seriously....mdoes anyone have an answer as to how to stop following a thread on here? i asked a simply honest question and it started a **** storm of keyboard cowboys getting all nasty with one another! God I hope none of these people are on my cruise! When I signed up with this I thought it sounded like a good idea, share some knowledge with fellow cruisers, maybe find people with common interests and meet them on the boatmto share a drink or two.... Instead I found a bunch of nasty rude people (not all but many on this thread) who act tough towards one another while hiding safely behind thier keyboards! At least I can say the other thread I am following seems to be filled with all nice respectful people.......

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Can you get to your profile on your iPhone? If so you should be able to unsubscribe for this thread.

Thank you B6ConMe i will definitely look into that.... Thanks again

Sent from my iPad using Forums