Can I book an "Accesible Room" even if I'm not disable?

How would RCI know if anyone actually needed it or not? I bet there are rules governing asking about or disclosing someone's medical information. I've never been asked anything about my physical status except whether or not I was sick right before embarking.

I see people with little lap dogs on ships and I was told they can never ask if they are truly service dogs or not. They are not allowed to ask for proof.

If someone books this room wouldn't they just have to assume that person needs the room?

That said, I also agree these should be left for people with real needs and not scooped up by people who just want a bigger room.

We got stuck in one once on a GTY booking. It was right under the buffet and we got woke up every day at 5:30a to the sound of rolling carts bumping over the door jams. The extra space was nice, but we are tall people and the sink was nearer the ground than us and the shower leaked all over the floor because there wasn't the same kind of water guard lip. Like everything else... there are pluses and minuses.

The worst thing was the feeling that someone else probably really needed the room. We didn't make the choice so we were not overwhelmed by that feeling, but we still would have been just as happy in another room.

Tom

A TA booked my brother in one (not at his request). They thought they were doing my brother a favor by getting the "big room". He was bumped out of the room.

I think that if you are booked without need and they have nowhere to move you to a situation may arise where someone with genuine need can not be accommodated; late booking, etc.

I agree with the sentiment that RCI should require medical proof for these rooms to be booked at least until a certain point in time before "releasing" them for general booking to fill a ship (maybe 30 days??).

As it stands now though the answer is anyone can book, but understand and be prepared to be bumped out.

It's illegal to park in a designated disabled spot if you don't have the proper documentation (typically a thing hanging from your mirror). So, the deterrent is you could get a huge fine (hundreds of $$$). It is not illegal to book an accessible room so the judgement on it is all opinion and moral.

I wouldn't do either (parking or booking), but there is a difference.

Tom

Just curious, do you park in a handicap space because it is available? Not sure what kind of question you are asking and I hope you are just joking.

Let me first disclose that my mother cruises often on Royal and CC. She is disabled (partially paralyzed) and requires a motorized scooter. So the issue is a bit personal to me as I want my mom to have accommodations such that she can enjoy cruises. Second, my comments below are not an opinion on how or whether something is right or wrong. I'm simply pointing out facts. With that said we must understand the situation before we chastise anyone for any comments or questions. First RCI, from my experience charges the same price for accessible cabins as the similar cabin in that class (not always but often). These cabins are about 50% bigger in addition to the other accessible features. Thus, a typical accessible balcony cabin is the size of a junior suite. Hence the economics of the situation and questions/comments from some. If all of the cabins on the ship were 50% bigger there would be less of us on board and all of us would be paying a lot more (arguably 50% more or higher since they need more on board to spend money on the ship beyond the base cruise fare to make a profit). RCI has outstanding accessible rooms plain and simple. Carnival has accessible rooms that are the same size as regular cabins (at least on many of their ships, maybe some are bigger but I'm not sure) but are retro fit with walk in showers, wider entry doors, etc. Because of this no one is trying to book these instead of the regular cabins. There is your issue. It is pure economics combined with varying views on fairness of the situation. Some would argue that a larger cabin should cost more pure and simple. Combine this with the fact that people are increasingly witnessing some people wrongly taking advantage of accessible accommodations (bogus "service dogs" on flights, able body people using handicap parking spots, etc., etc.) and one can see how the debate begins.

Currently they don't... But they should!!

RCI did for us- we booked an accessable cabin for my MIL- who has big problems walking. We had to provide documentation (which we had with her parking permit). Worked out great.

We were really lucky, too- when we called to book the room, there were no accessable balconies left, so the agent put her into a Jr Suite for the price of the orignal balcony. Very cool that he knew the rules and did that.

For sure, one of those thing as a person who does not need one (and hopes to never need one)- I'm VERY happy that they have the rooms on board and available. It makes the trip so much more enjoyable for people who need the space.

Edited by alfaeric

I'm not sure how this works. Is there someone at RCI who is qualified to determine if you're disabled enough to deserve the room or not?

It's kind of a slippery slope. Better if people would just use common sense and book them only if they need them.

Tom

IMO the rule should be documentation is required until all similar rooms are booked. So you need documentation for an interior accessible room until all the other interior rooms are booked, after that it is fair game for anyone. Same for accessible balconies and so forth.

Thank you all for your responses!

I'm not joking,not going to book such a cabin either!!!

Relax People !

I ask this because i was doing a search for a certain cruise and when i was about to select a cabin they( the system) offered me that accesible cabin ...

I can't understand how it happened !

If anyone wants extra space, book a Junior Suite.

Which leads the next question. The accessible deluxe ocean view, balcony etc area around 250-290 feet. But the accessible JS is 424 square feet, about 125 square feet larger. Why don't they make all the JS the same size and just make the bathroom area accessible. Is the extra room all in the bathroom?

Edited by knittinggirl

I'm not sure how this works. Is there someone at RCI who is qualified to determine if you're disabled enough to deserve the room or not?

It's kind of a slippery slope. Better if people would just use common sense and book them only if they need them.

Tom

While I would agree that most people do have a good sense of ethics, many seem to make it their life's purpose to bypass culture's norms an courtesies to get what they desire, even if it causes other people hardships.

As for the procedure of processing requests for accessible rooms, it certainly can be done and should be by the cruise lines. Usually, those who need an accessible cabin are the same who have already proven their disability to the state in which they live to get their handicap tags. That's easy to verify.

Many of us with disabilities do not require special parking or accessible cabins and would not dream of depriving others of the privilege.

Tom

Like I posted, they required documentation- so we sent the doctors notes.

Edited by alfaeric

The funny thing is, while I ALWAYS feel out the special needs form, I have NEVER been asked for any documentation of my disability.

We all know how consistent Royal Caribbean is at being inconsistent though :p;)

Relax People !

I ask this because i was doing a search for a certain cruise and when i was about to select a cabin they( the system) offered me that accesible cabin ...

So did you leave the reason for your question off on your initial post by accident or just to see the response? :)

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

The funny thing is, while I ALWAYS feel out the special needs form, I have NEVER been asked for any documentation of my disability.

We all know how consistent Royal Caribbean is at being inconsistent though :p;)

That is the exact problem. No documentation required (at least in some instances) leads to abuse of the system by some who don't need the accommodation which then leads to the attitude of others that think why should I be paying the same price for a much smaller cabin when I'm seeing these people who are clearly not disabled taking advantage of the system. Per my above post, it is all about economics and self interest.

I witness abuse of the systems all the time with handicap parking spots and now it seems like every time I fly someone has their pet with them at the airport that is certified as some type of service dog. These aren't blind people or wounded veterans with PTSO. There are people that just want to take their dog with them. I chatted with one guy on a flight that said it was nothing to get it done and now he can take his dog with him everywhere he goes. I just sat there thinking what an insult to those that really "need" them.

What is the difference between an accesible room and a regular one?

When you book the cabin you are asked if you NEED an accessible stateroom, so the answer is; If you are an insensitive liar, you can likely get away with it.

I am not saying that YOU are, I saw your post saying that you won't do it (thank you for that), but there are people who DO. It makes it really hard for those of us who can't cruise without one to get on the sailings that we want. I think that if you don't live with a disability, or spend time with someone who does, that most people just flat don't give it a lot of thought (taking the only accessible bathroom stall when there are tons of open stalls, and making me sit there doing the pee pee dance in my chair while looking at all the empty stalls!) but in the case of taking an accessible cabin you are asked very specifically if you really need it. That's not the same as it simply not crossing your mind, that's INTENTIONALLY taking it from someone who needs it.

Just my opinion, but... those people suck! :rolleyes:

Tom

While I would agree that most people do have a good sense of ethics, many seem to make it their life's purpose to bypass culture's norms an courtesies to get what they desire, even if it causes other people hardships.

I think that's a good thing. I just don't know how you manage it. Still, it's nice that they do something to protect the rooms.

Tom

Relax People !

I ask this because i was doing a search for a certain cruise and when i was about to select a cabin they( the system) offered me that accessible cabin ...

Was this after the final payment date when accessible cabin typically become available to everyone because the cruise line doesn't want to sail with that cabin empty?

We upgraded our booking to an mini-suite guarantee four days prior to the Ruby Princess cruise we did last month and were given a accessible mini-suite as it was the last mini available. We would have been happy in the next suite category which had two cabins available but we weren't offered that. One time previously we were able to select an accessible as it was one of only two cabins available and the other was in a horrible location at the extreme front. Again this was well after the final payment date or about four weeks prior to that sailing.

Many of us with disabilities do not require special parking or accessible cabins and would not dream of depriving others of the privilege.

Designated parking opens up a whole other can of worms. Four years ago my dad was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's disease/ALS (he passed away last year). Within that first year he was confined to a motorized wheelchair, and through the VA, was able to get a van with a motorized ramp. My mom and I were amazed at how hard it was though to park that van! Most designated handicapped spots were too small, there was no room for the ramp to open (which was to the side). And many times, when there was a van-size designated HC spot, people who didn't have a van would park there instead of the smaller HC spot. We are talking sport cars, sedans, pickup trucks - vehicles that obviously didn't have a ramp. It was a sobering, eye-opening experience to see how many people have the accessible signs, and thus park in the special parking, but didn't appear to give any thought to a specialized vehicle that might need that extra space.

Of course, my favorite was the time another HC van parked in the spot next to my parents van, and only 12 inches from the ramp door. Yet on their door, it said "Please park at least 8 feet away due to ramp". We had to back the van out into the parking lot in order to open the door for my dad to get his chair in. I will admit, I lost my temper and left the other van a nasty note saying, if you want people to park for enough away for you to open your ramp, you should extend the same courtesy to the ramp vans you park next too.

And many times, when there was a van-size designated HC spot, people who didn't have a van would park there instead of the smaller HC spot. We are talking sport cars, sedans, pickup trucks - vehicles that obviously didn't have a ramp.

Sorry but Im guilty as charged on that. I drive a ext cab 4X4 pickup truck. No ramp BUT I have to have PLENTY of room to unload my wheelchair and get out of the truck. A lot of times the regular "handicap" spaces are either not wide enough to unload my chair or the ones that are, are already taken. I have been known to park in a van designated spot before short term. Ive inquired about this with the law and was told that while it is definitely a spot for designated for vans, it doesnt mean vans only and other disabled people with permits can park there.

I only do this as a very last resort and its generally only for a very short time.

Sorry but Im guilty as charged on that. I drive a ext cab 4X4 pickup truck. No ramp BUT I have to have PLENTY of room to unload my wheelchair and get out of the truck. A lot of times the regular "handicap" spaces are either not wide enough to unload my chair or the ones that are, are already taken. I have been known to park in a van designated spot before short term. Ive inquired about this with the law and was told that while it is definitely a spot for designated for vans, it doesnt mean vans only and other disabled people with permits can park there.

I only do this as a very last resort and its generally only for a very short time.

Ahh, but you needed the space and so you definitely should park there. And that's where it comes back on me that I was assuming that most of those cars I saw didn't appear to need the extra space, because they didn't have a ramp.

Hi, I'm not obviously handicapped to look at me, but I have severe back issues. I've been using a portable stool for walks so I can sit down when I need it. My last cruise from an Aft cabin was horrible! So, I was thinking of renting a scooter for my next trip but a few people said I'd have trouble parking it in a reg. cabin. So I'm back to the folding chair. I may look into a handicapped shortly before our cruise on Allure.

I am glad this topic is being discussed (although maybe not the way it was originally asked). My sister, after severe blood clots, cannot spend a lot of time on her feet. Even in large stores she has to ride the scooters. She can walk around fine in a stateroom but would probably need a scooter to get around the ship. If we booked a regular room, would there be a place to "park" the scooter outside the room? If not, we would have to book an accessable room when she cruises with us.

I am glad this topic is being discussed (although maybe not the way it was originally asked). My sister, after severe blood clots, cannot spend a lot of time on her feet. Even in large stores she has to ride the scooters. She can walk around fine in a stateroom but would probably need a scooter to get around the ship. If we booked a regular room, would there be a place to "park" the scooter outside the room? If not, we would have to book an accessable room when she cruises with us.

Although you will see them, technically scooters are not allowed to be parked in the halls. I would encourage anyone that needs to use a scooter to go ahead and make it easier on yourself and book the Accessible cabin. :)

Edited by ryano

What is the difference between an accesible room and a regular one?

only after final payment has passed and the room( if unsold) is made available to all.

before then you will be required to prove need. if you do not, the room will be taken away from you.

fully accessible cabins have roll in showers( no tub or lips..the water gets all over the floor), wider doorways and a few other configurations that make it easier to get around in a wheelchair( loss of a table or chair for instance)

modified cabins may have grab bars and other accommodations.