Seattle Hotels - The W

We are set to sail on the August 29th Solstice out of Seattle. We will be arriving late on the 28th and also staying one night after the cruise on the 5th of September. We recently found out that there is a musical festival there over Labor Day weekend which has resulted in the cost of rooms on the 28th to sky rocket (~$320). It's hard for me to wrap my head around spending $300 on a Thursday night just for a place to rest out heads!

Most search results have turned up the same price give or take for decent hotels on the 28th. We're pretty much decided we want to stay at The W on the 5th as it's much more reasonably priced ($250) for a Friday night that is more of an actual hotel stay. Is it worth it to go ahead and do both ends there? Am I SOL to find a hotel on the 28th for a better deal that's in the downtown area? Is the W overall in a good area?

Any help is much appreciated.

The W is in an excellent area, walking distance to the Art Museum if you're so inclined, and plenty of restaurants around.

My one concern about the W is this: I have had to stay in them (not this particular one, but in other cities) a number of times on business trips, when mostly what I want is a quiet place to sleep. The W seems to cater to a younger, partying crowd - and if you combine that with some kind of music festival, you might not get the quiet place to "rest your heads" you're looking for.

If being in downtown Seattle is not important to you, there are plenty of other places you could stay in the area. You could simply stay at an airport hotel, for one, or you could go out of the downtown area to one of the charming communities around and stay at a B&B. You could also cross Lake Washington and stay in Bellevue, although that will complicate your transportation issues.

We thought about that but a coworker that is from Seattle says that's a huge no-go. She says that it's not the nicest area so if need be, we'll suck it up and pay more to not feel unsafe or unclean.

Let's be realistic ... what airport is located in the "nicest" area of town?? But Seattle's is no better or worse than any other city. I've lived here for 30 yrs and have no hesitation recommending the area. Friends and relatives have done so for early morning flights ... never an issue. Sure, there are some dumpy hourly-rate hotels but you'll also find the Hilton, Doubletree, Cedarbrook Lodge, Hampton Inn and other major chains.

For a different area but still within Seattle, look at Lake Union. Easy access to the downtown core via the lake union trolley. Our office puts clients into the Silver Cloud ... free b'fast, pool, drop offs downtown,

And the event is BUMBERSHOOT, an annual event held at the Seattle Center.

First, how late is late? I live north of Seattle, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with hotels around the airport. Did you plan on wanting to go out and walk around, or just a place to sleep after your flight?

Bumbershoot doesn't begin until Aug. 30. Hotels in downtown Seattle always raise their rates in the summer due to tourism and all the cruisers.

Edited by crzndeb

There are plenty of decent hotels, and a couple of very nice ones, close to the airport. You're not going to have gang bangers or hookers bothering you in the Hilton, and really, unless you're out hitchhiking at 3 in the morning, the airport area is not especially sinister. I mean, geez, this is Seattle we're talking about. People here don't even jaywalk.

If you stay at the W, it's fine; a bit caught up in '80s boogie nights decor, but totally acceptable. Its location is excellent.

We thought about that but a coworker that is from Seattle says that's a huge no-go. She says that it's not the nicest area so if need be, we'll suck it up and pay more to not feel unsafe or unclean.

Having lived in the neighborhood you're talking about for 14 years, I can tell you with some certainty that your coworker was being somewhat alarmist and overly-general. There are some parts of SeaTac and Tukwila (mainly north of Hwy 518) where I wouldn't go for a midnight stroll, and some hotels where I wouldn't stay. But there are also some perfectly decent areas that are as safe as any big-city neighborhood, and some very nice, even first-class hotels (including the Days Inn where I put my elderly mother and aunts when they visited). Cedarbrook Lodge regularly makes it to the top of various travel sites' and publications' "best hotels in the U.S." lists.

As you've learned, Bumbershoot will mean that rooms in central Seattle will go for a premium that weekend. If you're just staying that one night, and not doing a lot of sightseeing before you board your ship, you'd get a lot more for your money (or spend less of it) by staying near the airport.

Edited by Casagordita

My one concern about the W is this: I have had to stay in them (not this particular one, but in other cities) a number of times on business trips, when mostly what I want is a quiet place to sleep. The W seems to cater to a younger, partying crowd - and if you combine that with some kind of music festival, you might not get the quiet place to "rest your heads" you're looking for.

That was my impression of the W as well--it's kind of a hipster hangout. But the weekend of Bumbershoot, almost any hotel in town will have a fair number of music fans. Bumbershoot is a big, varied festival with a lot of different kinds of performers. It attracts fans of all ages and tastes, not just young, raucous headbangers. But yeah, a lot of music lovers do come to town for the weekend to do Bumbershoot and have a good time. The W might be a happenin' place!

I stayed at the Sleep Inn south of Sea-Tac a ways, and it was fine. I am from that area, and generally, the hotels are ok, especially near the airport.

There are plenty of decent hotels, and a couple of very nice ones, close to the airport. You're not going to have gang bangers or hookers bothering you in the Hilton, and really, unless you're out hitchhiking at 3 in the morning, the airport area is not especially sinister. If you stay at the W, it's fine; a bit caught up in '80s boogie nights decor, but totally acceptable. Its location is excellent.

^^^this^^^