Royal Snobs?

I would not like it either but I just dont see it happening. If it does, my cruising days are OVER! I cant imagine Im alone in that thinking either. The inclusions are what seperate a cruise from a regular land based vacation at Disney or elsewhere.

No the ships and moving from port to port are what separate cruising from land based vacations.

I WAS at the reveal on Wednesday on brutally cold and windswept West 34th Street and am now looking at one of the booklets provided to us in the little shopping bag.

There are 7 pay places listed, the 3 spots run by celebrity chefs (Oliver, Michael's, Devinly) plus the incredible Wonderland and three of the traditional RCI pay venues, Chops , Chef's Table and Izumi. Plus JR outside of breakfast.

Freebies are American Icon (which will not have Cracker Barrel level food but more upscale regional US traditional goodies), Chic, Silk, Grande and Coastal Kitchen. In addition, other freebies are the Jammie, Cafe Two70, Seaplex Doghouse, Sorrentos, Cafe Promenade and JR (AM).

I normally am a basic conservative eater but I tried almost all the samples and they were great. I may have to get more adventurous on upcoming cruises

From what I can see, many of the people complaining the most seem to have the most facts wrong.

And the Northstar is free.

Unlike NCL and Princess, you can make reservations ahead of time using a tablet or computer and you can link reservations when making these arrangements with other cruisers while also reserving shows so that there are no conflicts. Very impressive procedure, one of the guides let me use a tablet to verify how sophisticated the whole set up is.

From what I can see, three couples traveling together can replicate TD by coordinating their dining ressies and wind up with the same result as TD. Only you can do it at either the same place every night or do a Disney-like rotation. Or different times to avoid show conflicts.

And nobody will force you to eat lobster or steak while riding a bumper car.:)

Now back to tax season.:eek:

Edited by The Big Booper

How do you know it's going to be absolutely amazing? I think it sounds awful and will avoid it. They are copy cats of NCL and must feel NCL is stealing some market share from them so they are trying to get that back. I also like no formals on NCL so I hope RCL follows suit on that too before my sailing on RCL later this year. I will look to see the reviews and perhaps change my mind but I wouldn't book it.

Everyone in the cruise industry 'copies' from each other - let's face it - it is done in every business.

BTW - you do NOT have to go FORMAL in MDR - DH started leaving his tux home in 2011 - wore sports coat and tie until this last cruise in Feb 2014 and he only wore a very nice shirt and dress slacks -

I have seen cruisers walk into the MDR in polo's - although I would not recommend it -

Sam and I are both looking forward to sailing on the Quantum on 2 Feb 2015 -

We are bored with MDR and only dine there about 1/2 the nights while onboard - We usually cruise about 30-45 days per year and that makes the MDR just the 'same o same o' thing because the food is NOT changed from ship to ship - We were on the Legend 3 Feb 2014 and we will be enjoying a 16 day TA on the Legend in about 20 days - Menus in MDR will be the same as they were 2 months ago BORING

We are sure that everyone onboard the Quantum will find plenty of 'complimentary' dining without paying the extra's - WE DO~! I am not a fan of Chops - DH makes a better Rib Eye Steak - don't like Izumi's - not a shusi fan - and Chef's Table? I can do that at home with wine that I have purchased and don't have to pay triple the price for - TO EACH THEIR OWN

We don't pay for the 'extra' dining options - plenty of great food without spending more $$$$

We feel that RCL is trying to please those of us that want a change - giving us all options!

BRAVO

I WAS at the reveal on Wednesday on brutally cold and windswept West 34th Street and am now looking at one of the booklets provided to us in the little shopping bag.

There are 7 pay places listed, the 3 spots run by celebrity chefs (Oliver, Michael's, Devinly) plus the incredible Wonderland and three of the traditional RCI pay venues, Chops , Chef's Table and Izumi. Plus JR outside of breakfast.

Freebies are American Icon (which will not have Cracker Barrel level food but more upscale regional US traditional goodies), Chic, Silk, Grande and Coastal Kitchen. In addition, other freebies are the Jammie, Cafe Two70, Seaplex Doghouse, Sorrentos, Cafe Promenade and JR (AM).

I normally am a basic conservative eater but I tried almost all the samples and they were great. I may have to get more adventurous on upcoming cruises

From what I can see, many of the people complaining the most seem to have the most facts wrong.

And the Northstar is free.

Unlike NCL and Princess, you can make reservations ahead of time using a tablet or computer and you can link reservations when making these arrangements with other cruisers while also reserving shows so that there are no conflicts. Very impressive procedure, one of the guides let me use a tablet to verify how sophisticated the whole set up is.

From what I can see, three couples traveling together can replicate TD by coordinating their dining ressies and wind up with the same result as TD. Only you can do it at either the same place every night or do a Disney-like rotation. Or different times to avoid show conflicts.

And nobody will force you to eat lobster or steak while riding a bumper car.:)

Now back to tax season.:eek:

**Thank you Mr. Incredible! You stated the obvious - THIS IS NEW - TRY IT! It will NOT be for everyone and it will NOT be on every ship~:)

It amazes me peoples philosophies and actions to change.

People complain all the time that they don't rotate MDR menus often enough, and as a regular cruiser I can understand that viewpoint. When we eat in the MDR it takes us no more than one minute to decide what we are eating that night as having already tried everything we know what works for us off the menu.

Whilst there is no MDR there is still a windjammer which I expect would offer the same options as the other ships windjammers on an evening. And those that eat in the. WJ for dinner know it is options from the MDR and based on its menus. I like the ability to have something different.

Ok not all the complimentary restaurants have menus that appeal to US but not everyone has the same tastes and that is what this concept is primarily based on.- The ability to cater to the tastes of a mass audience and not expect everyone to want to eat the same thing all the time. Some people like simplistic, some like health conscious, some like heavily spiced, some like protein, some like seafood, some like light meals as they have lunch as main meal and some just like variety!!!!!!!

If you like the same restaurant every night you can, if you want to chop and change you can.

Most people jump at the chance to have options. I'm confused why 2 ships and 2 options when there are other ships out there in the same line are making people jump ship:confused: (pardon the pun:D)

LMFAO a royal snob??

I would be a snob if I could afford to cruise on a luxury line like seabourne, crystal, or oceania cruises.

This is a mass market cruise line catered to the average joe, come post when any of you can actually cruise on a regular basis on a real luxury line :rolleyes:

Edited by jp30338

I'm looking forward to reading reviews written by Quantum passengers after they return from their cruises. It will be Very Interesting to see what they have to say about this type of dining program.

Happy cruising everyone!

Edited by JimAOk1945

LMFAO a royal snob??

I would be a snob if I could afford to cruise on a luxury line like seabourne, crystal, or oceania cruises.

This is a mass market cruise line catered to the average joe, come post when any of you can actually cruise on a regular basis on a real luxury line :rolleyes:

That is so true...

It is like saying that I am a "Ford or Chevy" snob....

LMFAO a royal snob??

There are plenty of people that CAN afford to sail on a luxury line on a regular basis but that DOES NOT make them snobs! For what it costs to sail in suites on a number of RC ships is comparable to some charges on more luxury lines.

People can afford the other lines but especially if traveling with children overlook the lines you mention because they are less child /family orientated.

To say people who sail RC don't have money and luxury liners are full of snobs is a stereotyping at its worst!

I know plenty of people who have plenty of money that are not snobs. I have also encountered numerous people on RC that certainly give off the impression they are above everyone else and appear to be snobs.

Just saying:rolleyes:

It was the same way with Oasis. There was even a group formed here called NOOTS that meant something to the effect of Never On Oasis of The Seas. Im willing to bet 90% of those members have sailed an Oasis ship now and love them.

Some people just love to complain and some just arent good with change.

I love the new ideas and the new Quantum ships. I only hope they eventually homeport one in FL, preferably Pt Canaveral, so in a few years maybe the prices will lower some and I will get to experience one of these amazing ships.

Heck, Ive still got to go on an Oasis class first.

like!

There are plenty of people that CAN afford to sail on a luxury line on a regular basis but that DOES NOT make them snobs! For what it costs to sail in suites on a number of RC ships is comparable to some charges on more luxury lines.

People can afford the other lines but especially if traveling with children overlook the lines you mention because they are less child /family orientated.

To say people who sail RC don't have money and luxury liners are full of snobs is a stereotyping at its worst!

I know plenty of people who have plenty of money that are not snobs. I have also encountered numerous people on RC that certainly give off the impression they are above everyone else and appear to be snobs.

Completely false. A suite on RC MIGHT get you a baseline cabin on a real luxury line.

Perhaps you should do a bit more research especially into child care on a luxury line as well; personal nannies, 1 on 1 activities, personalized family outings, etc.

FWIW, im just calling out the snobs that think they are better than others but in reality cant afford real luxury, otherwise they would be sailing at the very least Celebrity or HAL or Princess. All talk and no real action... But yet want to complain about RC catering to the masses.

Edited by jp30338

I think there are plenty of passengers like us have the means to sail luxury lines, but haven't been able to commit to sailing one yet because the ships are so small. We enjoy the large ships, but at the same time, don't like how low quality the food and service have become. I think with Royal Caribbean, you can make the cruise as cheap or extravagant as you would like.

You can sail in an inside room and eat in free venues every night, or spend ten thousand on a suite and go all out. The downside to that is you get approximately the same level of overall quality as the couple who paid 1/8 of the price that you did, you just have superior accommodations.

Like I said before, I'm not keen on the amusement park/family atmosphere Royal is moving towards. After out next two planned cruises, we are moving to Celebrity, and will probably move to Crystal or Amamara from there.

Completely false. A suite on RC MIGHT get you a baseline cabin on a real luxury line.

That's actually not true...

When we priced out a 7 night cruise on the Crystal Serenity for this Sping, a Verandah stateroom for two was roughly the same price as a JS on Allure (about $4200).

I think there are plenty of passengers like us have the means to sail luxury lines, but haven't been able to commit to sailing one yet because the ships are so small. We enjoy the large ships, but at the same time, don't like how low quality the food and service have become. I think with Royal Caribbean, you can make the cruise as cheap or extravagant as you would like.

You can sail in an inside room and eat in free venues every night, or spend ten thousand on a suite and go all out. The downside to that is you get approximately the same level of overall quality as the couple who paid 1/8 of the price that you did, you just have superior accommodations.

Like I said before, I'm not keen on the amusement park/family atmosphere Royal is moving towards. After out next two planned cruises, we are moving to Celebrity, and will probably move to Crystal or Amamara from there.

Excellent point, imo

Perhaps you should do a bit more research especially into child care on a luxury line as well; personal nannies, 1 on 1 activities, personalized family outings, etc.

FWIW, im just calling out the snobs that think they are better than others but in reality cant afford real luxury, otherwise they would be sailing at the very least Celebrity or HAL or Princess. All talk and no real action...

I wasn't comparing like to like cabins. I was making the point that for the same money you COULD sail on the other line.

And your point about nannies 1 on 1 activities and family outings is exactly my point - I don't want a nanny for my DD, I want her engaging in activities with lots of kids from multiple backgrounds and to be a kid, not worrying about who is wearing the most expensive designer clothes etc. after all that would classify her as a snob and that's not what I want her to turn out like!

I am by no means a snob, but your original statement did come across as unless anyone could afford to sail more expensive lines they weren't qualified to make judgement, and my point back was there are plenty of people that can afford it but choose not to!

Edited by Spurschick
Addition.

FWIW, im just calling out the snobs that think they are better than others but in reality cant afford real luxury, otherwise they would be sailing at the very least Celebrity or HAL or Princess. All talk and no real action... But yet want to complain about RC catering to the masses.

You are aware, aren't you, that RCI is frequently more expensive then =X=, Princess or HAL on comparable runs ? All four of these lines are mass market lines.

The only people who ever refer to RCI fans as being snobs are those on the Carnival board.

Biggest snob I ever met was while on SXM, taking a group cab back from Orient. The ride seemed eternal while he carried on. And he was on Crystal.

I agree you can make RC as extravagant as you want. You sail RC through choice, not because it is all you can afford! Our DD enjoyed celebrity but not as much as RC. That coupled with we are working towards Pinnacle means we stick RC, and will probably switch to celebrity once she leaves home and we have our status.

The poster I was replying to made a statement regarding all RC passengers as average joes and I was trying to make the point that is not an accurate assessment!- I wonder what they would call people who travel low end lines:eek:

You are aware, aren't you, that RCI is frequently more expensive then =X=, Princess or HAL on comparable runs ? All four of these lines are mass market lines.

The only people who ever refer to RCI fans as being snobs are those on the Carnival board.

Biggest snob I ever met was while on SXM, taking a group cab back from Orient. The ride seemed eternal while he carried on. And he was on Crystal.

You are aware that these are "premium" lines in comparison to their lower counterpart's ie: RC and Carnival respectfully. Yes they are still mass market but are considered a "premium". I actually canceled my X repo cruise to take a slightly more expensive cruise on Jewel, based on itenarary ~100.00pp , but I would expect better food, service, and amenities on X, as I received on my HAL cruise.

We are talking hundreds of dollars difference if that, as opposed to thousands however on those nicer lines.

Edited by jp30338

You are aware that these are "premium" lines in comparison to their lower counterpart's ie: RC and Carnival respectfully. Yes they are still mass market but are considered a "premium". I actually canceled my X repo cruise to take a slightly more expensive cruise on Jewel, based on itenarary ~100.00pp , but I would expect better food, service, and amenities on X, as I received on my HAL cruise.

We are talking hundreds of dollars difference if that, as opposed to thousands however on those nicer lines.

Your only 2 RCI cruises have been on 2 very old ships which are no where near what the bigger newer RCI ships are like.

=X= and HAL are considered the most "premium" of the mass market lines, mainly because of better food and a more elegant atmosphere. Princess is nowhere near these two based on my 4 cruises with them. Sedate, yes, but Princess ships have a poorer load factor then any RCI ship built in the last 15-20 years.

I'm not sure where this thread was/is headed. IMHO the reactions, pro and con, to "Dynamic Dining" all go back to personal preferences in the style one would prefer to have on their cruise.

There are those who like Traditional Dining - having the same tablemates and servers each evening - and those who like the MTD idea -mixing it up each evening with tablemates (or not) and servers -and now even different dining venues.

We personally like traditional and apparently have been very, very lucky to have had good tablemates on all but one of our cruises.... but that's just us:) As we live in an area with a huge variety of different eateries -"adventurous" food doesn't make or break the cruise for us.

Perhaps RCCL will hit a homerun and provide some ships of the fleet for each of the different type of cruisers

I love traditional dining and formal nights, so this change does not make me happy. I have sailed on Norwegian 3 times, and I know exactly what Freestyle is, and I personally don't like it. ;) I'll probably sail on Quantum or Anthem at some point just to try them. But, they aren't me, and I already know that. I don't want to sail with that many people and a multitude of children. Throw Freestyle into it, and it is just not me at all. I am off to smaller ships and Celebrity. ;)

I love RCI! I don't love every single thing, but for the most part I love the company, I love the ships, and I love the experiences I've had on board.

Why does this matter? What if you hated RCL? "snobs" are independent of that. You could talk about snobs traveling from a town you had never been to, where you had no opinion of the town itself other than the passersby.

That being said, I'm a bit sick of seeing all the "Royal Caribbean you disappointed me" with regards to the new dining options announced yesterday.

I would suggest not reading any more of them. It's "Cruise Critic" after all, what do you expect? Maybe "Cruise Praise" would be better for some.

If you're not willing to "GET OUT THERE" Royals slogan, and try something new, then maybe you should turn in your seapass card and go buck with Norwegian.

I think you've taken their slogan out of context, otherwise you could apply that to anything. If the ship caught the edge of a hurricane, would you "GET OUT THERE" on the lido deck? Saying that anyone unhappy should jump ship to Norwegian is a total strawman, I'm not sure you understand the opposing opinion.

This ship is going to be STUNNING, you're hesitant, fine... try it first then critique.

This is a red herring. You've changed the context from dining options to the ship itself being stunning. It's like saying "My dog Max won't bark on the 4th of July, he's going to be well groomed." 2nd, "we're hesitant" is another strawman, and contradicts what you said in the beginning.

Lets talk about how excited we are about ALL OF THE NEW DINING CHOICES ON QUANTUM INSTEAD.

You can't control people like that, it isn't healthy. Someone not liking a change doesn't make them a snob, but your snooty thread is. If I look back at your threads, were you ever marveling over NCL's freestyle dining before? Had Quantum axed specialty dining in favor of the largest MDR at sea, I have no doubt you would be just as adamant, awestruck, and defensive.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

I love traditional dining and formal nights, so this change does not make me happy. I have sailed on Norwegian 3 times, and I know exactly what Freestyle is, and I personally don't like it. ;) I'll probably sail on Quantum or Anthem at some point just to try them. But, they aren't me, and I already know that. I don't want to sail with that many people and a multitude of children. Throw Freestyle into it, and it is just not me at all. I am off to smaller ships and Celebrity. ;)

We have no interest in Quantum,The amusement park of the seas.Also we will never sail with my time dining/Dynamic dining. :)

It seems as though many posts fall within 2 categories; 1. those complaining about increased options....

Are people really complaining about not wanting more options? Do you have an example or two? I'd like to read them, either way you've simplified the opposing view by cherry picking a few.

Some people like to go to the same part of the ship, sit at the same table, have the same wait staff, make table mate friendships, pick from a varied menu that switches every night. Where did this option go?

Let's say your nephew was renting a house, and was bummed because the owner chose not to renew the lease. Is he complaining about increased options?

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor