Gopro mount for railing?

I just got a gopro for our upcoming cruise. I would like to set it to take footage of us entering/leaving ports. Anyone have any idea which mount would work best on our balcony railing? I obviously can't use one of the sticky mounts since it would leave residue. Maybe zip ties as a last resort?

Maybe attached to the glass as the railing diameter may be too large..

Yes, the actual wood rail is too large. The clamp is very strong and adjustable arm offers a wide range of possibilities....

I picked up mine at BestBuy for $50

Edited by mbjboyle

Good catch. I was thinking this also. Maybe attached to the glass as the railing diameter may be too large. Gorilla pods may have other models that could accommodate.

I was thinking about the clamp, but I don't think it opens up wide enough to eat the rail.... I never considered attaching it to a chair though. Duh! :roll eyes:

Easy fix! Thanks guys.

Oh and since I have a whole gopro using audience on this thread. Any cruise shots not to be missed? Will they let you wear at on the zipline at Labadee? Best snorkel set up (handheld buoy thing, wrist, mask)?

And another thing...what case do you use? I have the LCD bacpac so I need a case that holds two housings in the least, plus all the rest of the crap. Does Best Buy or other real store carry the off brand stuff like cases? I can't get a feel for them online.

Any cruise shots not to be missed? The key is to shoot everything and edit what looks good/bad when you get home.

Will they let you wear at on the zipline at Labadee? Yes. You can check out my YouTube link to see how I filmed it.

Best snorkel set up (handheld buoy thing, wrist, mask)? The head strap mount allows for the easiest set up while keeping your hands free.

And another thing...what case do you use? Several cases including dive cases with red filter for clear underwater shots.

I have the LCD bacpac so I need a case that holds two housings in the least, plus all the rest of the crap. Ditch the LCD backpack during water shots. It's excess weight that you won't need.

Does Best Buy or other real store carry the off brand stuff like cases? BestBuy, Target, WalMart will carry GoPro accessories, but they can be a "crap shoot" in terms of stock and availability. Amazon is a good resource.

I can't get a feel for them online. I've ordered directly from GoPro = always satisfied.

Let me know if you have any other questions.:)

Edited by mbjboyle

We used the suction cup attachment and that worked well.

When we were on the Liberty 3 weeks ago they had just started selling the Go Pro in the camera shop at the beginning of March. Not a bad selection of accessories and the prices were very comparable to land based prices.

Let me know if you have any other questions.:)

I just watched your Adventure video. How did you get the gopro on the deck looking out in the last shot? Is there a little shelf or something it hangs onto?

Awesome videos BTW. It makes me really look forward to our first cruise with the gopro!

We used the suction cup attachment and that worked well.

When we were on the Liberty 3 weeks ago they had just started selling the Go Pro in the camera shop at the beginning of March. Not a bad selection of accessories and the prices were very comparable to land based prices.

Thats good to know. If there is a mount or something I decide I want at the moment, I can in theory buy it on the ship.

If you go on the Liberty and are in room 1700, then there is a go pro mount on the superstructure that someone left there so they could do a time lapse of entering and leaving port....you can use it if you want!!!!

Keith

LOL. That was me in 1702 at Christmas if it is on the metal super structure between 1700 and 1702.:)

Edited by Ourusualbeach

LOL. That was me in 1702 at Christmas if it is on the metal super structure between 1700 and 1702.:)

Yep it was still there, I remember talking with someone on here that they left a go pro mount, I took a pic of it, i'll have to find it.

Keith

I think you'll find that the suction cup mount is about 3.5 ins. in dia.

and the flat on the ship's railing is around 4 ins. wide (running length)?

The former should fit on the latter nicely, if you can find a nice smooth varnished spot.

We used a suction cup Mount on the glass outside the balcony with a small dog leash as a tether wrapped over the rail and used one of the deck chairs as the anchor

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I used this clamp/tripod-style mount: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/581220-REG/Manfrotto_155_Double_Ball_Joint.html

to mount a Canon 40D with 10-22mm lens and a timer remote to shoot these time-lapses:

I clamped onto the balcony divider. I highly recommend something solid like this, rather than a gorillapod or other bendy object.