JFK to Fairfield Inn and Suites, NJ

bumblebutter

I'm wondering if I can get some advice from those in the know. Our airline that we originally booked with is no longer flying into Newark, and so now we land at JFK. But of course we're staying in NJ pre-sail. When I try to research it looks like there is ton of ways to get from point A to point B, of hugely varying price points. Can anyone who's had to do this before give me any recommendations? Oh yeah we're 2 couples (40's and 70's) with probably a large bag and a carryon each.

Are you booked at the Fairfield Inn at Newark Airport? There are other Fairfields in the area.

You need to price a car service like Dial7 and Carmellimo for the four of you. Be sure to accurately describe how much luggage you have.

I'm wondering if I can get some advice from those in the know. Our airline that we originally booked with is no longer flying into Newark, and so now we land at JFK. But of course we're staying in NJ pre-sail. When I try to research it looks like there is ton of ways to get from point A to point B, of hugely varying price points. Can anyone who's had to do this before give me any recommendations? Oh yeah we're 2 couples (40's and 70's) with probably a large bag and a carryon each.

You've probably already considered this, but if you're only staying 1 night before a cruise, I'd seriously consider changing hotels to something by JFK instead. Transportation from JFK to Newark, and then again from Newark to the cruise port the next morning is both expensive and cumbersome, especially with luggage in tow.

An airport hotel at JFK with a free shuttle would cut your total transportation costs probably in half. And save you a lot of wasted time and effort.

Even if you made a non-refundable reservation at the Newark hotel, I'd at least weigh the options, because the extra transportation costs may approach the cost of eating the hotel cancellation. There is a Fairfield Inn at JFK too. If you have a non-refundable reservation, maybe they'd let you out of it if you transfer it to another Fairfield? Don't know but might be worth asking. And they have a free airport shuttle from JFK.

Edited by dbsb3233

You've probably already considered this, but if you're only staying 1 night before a cruise, I'd seriously consider changing hotels to something by JFK instead. Transportation from JFK to Newark, and then again from Newark to the cruise port the next morning is both expensive and cumbersome, especially with luggage in tow.

An airport hotel at JFK with a free shuttle would cut your total transportation costs probably in half. And save you a lot of wasted time and effort.

Even if you made a non-refundable reservation at the Newark hotel, I'd at least weigh the options, because the extra transportation costs may approach the cost of eating the hotel cancellation. There is a Fairfield Inn at JFK too. If you have a non-refundable reservation, maybe they'd let you out of it if you transfer it to another Fairfield? Don't know but might be worth asking. And they have a free airport shuttle from JFK.

I thoroughly disagree with your suggestion to stay near JFK. The hotels in JFK are generally horrible because they're used by NY City to lodge temporarily homeless families. To add to the problem there is little in the area in the way of amenities such as restaurants.

We always advise travelers to steer clear of JFK hotels.

I thoroughly disagree with your suggestion to stay near JFK. The hotels in JFK are generally horrible because they're used by NY City to lodge temporarily homeless families. To add to the problem there is little in the area in the way of amenities such as restaurants.

We always advise travelers to steer clear of JFK hotels.

You're probably right about it being a bad area - I don't actually know since I've never been there.

If it were me, it would depend greatly on what my purpose was. If the OP is doing what we're doing for an October cruise - flying in the night before and just needing a decent room for one night before heading to the cruise port the next morning, then I'd consider it. We happen to be flying into Newark so we picked a cheap hotel there. We don't even plan on leaving the hotel. It's just a place to sleep for the night before the cruise, nothing more.

But if I were looking to stay a few days, see the area, etc., then I'd certainly look for another area.

FWIW, TA reviewers give the Fairfield JFK 4 stars. Most seem to say it's OK for a stopover, but not as a destination.

You're probably right about it being a bad area - I don't actually know since I've never been there.

If it were me, it would depend greatly on what my purpose was. If the OP is doing what we're doing for an October cruise - flying in the night before and just needing a decent room for one night before heading to the cruise port the next morning, then I'd consider it. We happen to be flying into Newark so we picked a cheap hotel there. We don't even plan on leaving the hotel. It's just a place to sleep for the night before the cruise, nothing more.

But if I were looking to stay a few days, see the area, etc., then I'd certainly look for another area.

FWIW, TA reviewers give the Fairfield JFK 4 stars. Most seem to say it's OK for a stopover, but not as a destination.

You might want to consider not giving advice about places and things you know nothing about. What good is it doing for for the OP to give incorrect or misleading advice? I wouldn't think about giving advice about some place in Colorado where I've never been.

I couldn't give two hoots about what reviewers on Trip Advisor, Yelp or any other site are saying. Those sites are loaded with phony planted reviews, both positive and negative. Anyone who can identify which are real and which are phony must have a crystal ball.

Edited by njhorseman

You have the totally wrong idea. It is not so much a "bad area". The area around JFK is pretty industrial-in fact about 85% industrial. BUT there is a large city housing project not too far away. And on the weekends particularly, between the drug busts, domestic violence and shootings in the housing project, welfare services HAS to have someplace to move families (primarily women and children) at 2, 3, 4AM in the morning. And the JFK airport hotels are the closest and the easiest to work the logistics-move the kids out of their apt, get them safe for a night or two, close access to social services needed, move the family back in their apt after the offender has been removed from the home or the shooting stops and the cops leave.

So you may have a lot of displaced kids who have no idea where they are, most likely have never been in a hotel before and are scared and upset. And of course, you have Mom's who very often don't have the greatest parenting skills who let them run wild anyhow. It's not particularly dangerous-just annoying that you paid good money for a hotel, the halls are filled with kids and people and all their stuff, kids running wild and knocking on doors all night and no one is in control. NOT the quiet peaceful sleep you intended. And more likely to happen on a weekend than on a weekday, hence the underlying vibe of the reviews which are probably done more by business people than cruise tourists. 4* for a Fairfield Inn???? That is a REAL stretch. You are lucky to give 3.5* to the Sheraton, Radisson or Hilton at JFK (and yes, I have stayed at all of them).

As njhorseman posted in the other thread, you REALLY should rethink your hotel in Newark. HoJo's and a couple of others are no tell motels used by a lot of hookers and drug dealers. The knocks on your door WILL NOT be room service. Even my truck drivers will not stay in the hotels on that side of the airport close to 1 & 9. There are plenty of other hotels in the area at the same price point, all with a hotel shuttle. If you booked it through Priceline or Hotwire, you are stuck. But otherwise, there are far superior motels/hotels in the area that aren't used by the hookers and drug dealers.

To the OP:

As njhorseman and 138east posted, call one of the many car services to get you from JFK to a hotel in Newark. Dial 7 and Carmel are the biggest and will probably give you the best rate.

It is a MAJOR hassle with luggage to get from JFK to EWR on public transport or even the airporter type bus. YES, there is an airporter type bus. BUT it is a two step process AFAIK (at least it was a couple of years ago when I had no way to pickup one of my employees out of EWR and the airporter bus company said they could get him to JFK which is not that far from where he lives). NY Airporter OUT of JFK, then Coach USA into NJ (or reverse out of EWR).

JFK to Penn Station/Port Authority, manhandle your luggage to another bus, then Penn Station/Port Authority to EWR. And for that privilege, you will pay a minimum of $24.00pp and either pay for porters to handle your luggage or manhandle it yourself.

Direct car service from JFK to EWR will be in the neighborhood of $125-150. So between 4 people with luggage, you sure won't be paying much more than $10 pp over the schlepp it yourself bus tour of NYC/NJ. I sure know which one I would be taking even if it meant giving up a couple of drinks on the ship.

>SNIP<

First off, why would you give advice about something you've never seen

Second, trip advisor reviews are 1) subjective and 2) popularity contests.

A four star hotel in MOST worlds has room service, a restaurant and many services, actually AAA required, at one point, at least TWO restaurants among other things to be 4 diamonds...

There is no way ANY Fairfield Inn by Marriott ANYPLACE would be rated 4 stars by any company that actually, independently stays in and judges a property....ever.

:rolleyes:

BTW OP,

Greatam et al gave you good pointers on getting to the EWR area.

That said, while the FFI by Newark airport is not bad, unless you've booked a package, you might want to look at something on the other side such as:

Residence Inn or Courtyard Newark/Elizabeth

Country Inn

or the new Embassy Suites (which I will visit this week as I am sailing again and staying in the Elizabeth area...) The ES opened VERY recently, as in the last 3 or 4 months or so and it's near the oft-suggested other hotels on Glimcher Realty Way (the ones I listed above) and you're walking distance or a quick airport shuttle ride away from food and an outlet mall (that will likely NOT help you if you forgot, say toothpaste... but I digress)

Again, the Fairfield Inn is OK, nothing wrong with it....it's just only near a couple other hotels thus limiting your food availability...

HTH

A four star hotel in MOST worlds has room service, a restaurant and many services, actually AAA required, at one point, at least TWO restaurants among other things to be 4 diamonds...

There is no way ANY Fairfield Inn by Marriott ANYPLACE would be rated 4 stars by any company that actually, independently stays in and judges a property....ever.

Hi Meg,

I am still rolling with laughter about a Fairfield Inn being a 4* hotel. You MIGHT push 3, more like 2.5.

I am bored. I want to come home (first time I have felt like this in my adventures). We have been locked down in Bagram since the week after I got here (almost a month ago). So I get to watch lots of first run movies, go to the gym and WATCH everyone else, see all the concerts, cruise around the base day after day and BS with people and get very little work done. At least I am working nights when it is cooler and less dusty. But I am supposed to be out at the FOB (forward operating bases) writing reports on what is going and what is staying when we leave. Can't leave Bagram because of all the crap the Taliban is pulling right now before the elections. They won't even let me go with 4 Triple Canopy hunky heavily armed guards, my flak jacket and helmet in an MRAP. So I just sit here doing nothing getting paid pretty good money. I'm going to bed. Supposed to work for at least another hour but there is nothing to do. I have been buying crap on Ebay (like I really need more stuff) and posting on cruise critic. If the government wants to keep me safe and let me do that, guess I am not worse taking the money than a lot of others. But it does make me feel kind of like I am cheating. And I REALLY like my job when I get to do it.

Take care-enjoy your cruise.

Gina

I'm just passing along research I've found and things to consider, like cost. If you've got advice to pass along as well GREAT. But don't jump down someone else's throat for doing the same.

That's just rude.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

You might want to consider not giving advice about places and things you know nothing about. What good is it doing for for the OP to give incorrect or misleading advice? I wouldn't think about giving advice about some place in Colorado where I've never been.

I couldn't give two hoots about what reviewers on Trip Advisor, Yelp or any other site are saying. Those sites are loaded with phony planted reviews, both positive and negative. Anyone who can identify which are real and which are phony must have a crystal ball.

Is this Rude Day or something and nobody told me? Jees, if you've got conflicting advice to give then great, but you don't have to be snarky about it. That's just rude.

It's just research I'm passing along, like lots of other people.

Gina - please be safe.

I have stayed precruise at the Fairfield at Newark Airport. I'm not going to argue star ratings, but this hotel had no food service, but did offer a free breakfast. The rooms were fine, but not spectacular enough to give it a superior rating. The nearest food was next door at the Newark Courtyard. The were lots of takeout menus available in the lobby.

I had a park/cruise package at a great price and was very happy with this hotel, but I understood its limitations ahead of time. It is located in an isolated enclave of three hotels on routes 1/9 on the north side of the airport. I felt very comfortable ditching my car there for the duration of the cruise. There were other cruisers staying there and we shared transportation to the port with

Independent Driver. Five of us drove into the Ironbound District of Newark to have dinner in one of the Spanish restaurants. It was a fun way to kick off a cruise.

That's a good observation. I would look at the Hampton Inn on Staten Island because of the free shuttle to the port that can be booked. No restaurant, but there is one next door at the Hilton Gardens. Free breakfast. Nice setting in a corporate park - you wouldn't know you are in NYC. Village Car Service is a recommended Staten Island car service in addition to the Car services mentioned before.

Yes, Staten Island might work as well.....again, it really depends on what you're planning to do, when you're arriving and your budget...

Might be a little cheaper to get to Staten Island than the Newark area since you're not crossing state lines....

Is your reservation at the Fairfield Inn EWR cancellable or are you stuck there? That would also be something that will have an effect on any guidance given....

(Forget it. Not worth wasting my time.)

Your suggestions and advice were welcome, and still are.

It was the snarky comments to/about me that I didn't appreciate.

Everyone here appreciates constructive and friendly tips, I'm sure. As do I.

Ok wow, I go to work and come home to find an wealth of info. Thank-you all.

To answer the questions it is the Fairfield inn near EWR, the other couple is using points so we were limited to the Marriott chain. We arrive at 6pm the night before the cruise (leaving the kids at home so no extra time on either end) so we're just looking for some place to crash and then get fed in the morning. And an easy trip the next day to the cruise terminal, to help calm the nerves of a couple of first time cruisers (they're very worried about sea sickness etc).

It sounds from most of the recommendations to look at a car service is the way to go.

I think you will be fine in the Fairfield. I really liked their lobby because it was large with places to hang out with others.

You will need to book a car service from the Fairfield to Cape Liberty. Dial7 and Carmellimo are good, but you might also want to check out Independent driver - 888-816-0973. This can be booked 4-6 weeks out and for 4 people should be in the $45 range plus tip.

That's a good observation. I would look at the Hampton Inn on Staten Island because of the free shuttle to the port that can be booked. No restaurant, but there is one next door at the Hilton Gardens. Free breakfast. Nice setting in a corporate park - you wouldn't know you are in NYC. Village Car Service is a recommended Staten Island car service in addition to the Car services mentioned before.

I'm glad the OP has an option. Having the airline switch things up in a strange city is not fun to deal with.

I think you will be fine in the Fairfield. I really liked their lobby because it was large with places to hang out with others.

You will need to book a car service from the Fairfield to Cape Liberty. Dial7 and Carmellimo are good, but you might also want to check out Independent driver - 888-816-0973. This can be booked 4-6 weeks out and for 4 people should be in the $45 range plus tip.

When I checked Carmel online, 4 people with 4 bags showed "over car capacity" for their $46 car specials. An SUV shows $163, and a minivan showed "call for price". But when looking at their airport specials page a minivan shows $62 so I'm hoping it's that same price from an EWR-area hotel as it is from the airport itself.

Isn't there like a $10-$13 toll in there from NJ too, or is that already rolled into the base price?

What's the customary tip? I've seen 20% mentioned some other places in the web.

(And I'll apologize in advance to anyone upset because I'm talking about research I've found for my trip on the internet without actually having been there yet, as a few people in this thread had a problem with earlier.)

Edited by dbsb3233