Equinox - Table for 10 - good idea for a couple?

tbmrt

any more than 8 you will not be able to talk to people at the end unless

you are smack dab in the middle/ go for nor more than 8

As a couple we loved a table of ten. We got to talk and have conversations with everyone. The trick is to not have sit in the same seats every night. That way you are never stuck in the middle every night.

Edited by dmk

On two cruises we had a table for 8 or 10 and no one showed up for the most nights :D So it was like a big table for two, but we had a lot of fun with our waiters ;)

But on another cruise we had a table for 10 and it was full every night. Let me say that this was the best table ever and we really enjoyed the dinner. Everyone was great and our group started to meet after dinner because we had so much fun.

For our upcoming cruises (36 nights total) we have chosen a table for 2 to risk nothing. But perhaps we will change this for the second leg, don't know yet.

This happened to us on our very first cruise. We had an 8-top and were the only ones there except one night. We were joined by 4 others who got along very well and we were ignored. Since it was our first cruise, I didn't know you could ask for a change. Since then, we've been at a 2-top and it works out well for us. Sometimes we've been close to the people next to us and we can chat a little here and there and not feel as if we have to talk the whole entire meal.

But that's just us. We prefer to be a little quiet as we are usually exhausted from doing stuff all day!

We have cruised 18 times,sometimes with friends and sometimes alone. I personally just prefer a table for two on a cruise that is plus 7 days. You could end up with some great table companions, but do you want to take that chance.?

It can be a very long cruise if you don't like the people at your table. One time we were to sit with two other couples who did not speak our language. what were they thinking? At the end of the day I am tried(8:30 seating) and want to relax,not have to get geared up for conversation. You are more lucky to find someone you like at the larger table.

I guess it is your decision on how you want to go. Either way I hope it works out well for you.

It can be a very long cruise if you don't like the people at your table. One time we were to sit with two other couples who did not speak our language. what were they thinking? At the end of the day I am tried(8:30 seating) and want to relax,not have to get geared up for conversation. You are more lucky to find someone you like at the larger table.

What were they thinking? With respect, is the Maître D' expected to know what language(s) each guest speaks? That's a pretty tall order...

I'm not a "people person" - I do a lot of volunteer work (besides working full-time) and among the groups with whom I volunteer the running joke is that "Anna doesn't like people, so keep her in the back"

But even I really enjoy sharing a large table with a variety of tablemates. We do request an 8 or 10 top table; and if we get "stuck" at a four-top (there are three of us) we ask the matre'd to switch us.

We've really met the loveliest people and get so many good tips!

What were they thinking? With respect, is the Maître D' expected to know what language(s) each guest speaks? That's a pretty tall order...
I believe that the line generally does know the language of the pax. On our last cruise our waitress got flustered one night - at the early seating she had two large tables that each spoke Portegeuse (she was from Brazil) and a two top that spoke Italian. Late service she had a large Italian table, a six-top of English, and a two-top Porteguese. She started talking to us in Italian, caught her mistake but launched into Spanish, before settling on English :D.

When I asked her about it, she said that she is "qualified" for all four languages as far as the cruise line is concerned and tends to get a mix of tables. She said that the Italians (10-top) were not related and spoke with a large variety of accents, so it threw her off.