Restaurants & Eateries on Royal Princess??

zebra

Post #46

It is also the same location where the Crab Shack is held on Royal Princess. To that fact, the Crab Shack and Fondues are never held on the same day.

One thing they did do to try and make it a little more intimate was to reduce the amount of foot traffic passing through that portion of the Horizon Court by roping off the entrance to the make shift venue, as well as closing the fire door out to the elevator lobby and Horizon Terrace on the port side. It could still be opened in case of emergency, and the elevator lobby and Horizon Terrace could still be accessed down the starboard side of the Horizon Court.

It is also the same location where the Crab Shack is held on Royal Princess. To that fact, the Crab Shack and Fondues are never held on the same day.

One thing they did do to try and make it a little more intimate was to reduce the amount of foot traffic passing through that portion of the Horizon Court by roping off the entrance to the make shift venue, as well as closing the fire door out to the elevator lobby and Horizon Terrace on the port side. It could still be opened in case of emergency, and the elevator lobby and Horizon Terrace could still be accessed down the starboard side of the Horizon Court.

Same type of thing they did with the Sterling Steak house venues in the HC on other ships.

Dave, On the earlier Grand class ships without Cafe Caribe, the back section of the HC is separated from the front section. If the close the doors between the two, the only access to the back section is from doors by the elevators or from doors in the back that exit to the Horizon Terrace. there is no stay foot traffic and the area can have a very private feeling. That is where the Sterling Steakhouse is on the Sapphire and the Diamond and where the Crab Shack was on the Grand. There was no need to rope off any area. Haven't been on the Royal, but we are booked on a cruise on the Regal in September. Can the Horizon Bistro, where I assume the Crab Shack and Fondues is held, be totally closed off from the Horizon Court?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Can the Horizon Bistro, where I assume the Crab Shack and Fondues is held, be totally closed off from the Horizon Court?

The Horizon Court, where Fondues and The Crab Shack are conducted, has one large continuous seating space (one on each side of the ship), so it is not possible to totally close off one side, or a portion of a side, from the rest of that venue. They can only put up a temporary room partition and rope off the entrance.

Here is the aft port side of the Horizon Court looking forward, the Horizon Bistro is beyond the next bulkhead...

11509960733_f0d0d7b939_c.jpg

Brian, one other point also, is that the Horizon Bistro (the forward buffet area) is completely separate from the Horizon Court (the aft buffet area), although they do sort of run one into the other.

The Horizon Bistro has a lighter feel, with more cafe style and bar seating, whereas the Horizon Court is all table seating.

Horizon Bistro stbd side looking forward towards Lido pool area

11509841085_48ecba9fa6_c.jpg

Horizon Bistro stbd side looking aft towards entrance to Horizon Court

11509876884_b6e0846b3f_c.jpg

Self service area at back end of Horizon Bistro

11509971883_513db7eba8_c.jpg

Edited by dmwnc1959

Brian, one other point also, is that the Horizon Bistro (the forward buffet area) is completely separate from the Horizon Court (the aft buffet area), although they do sort of run one into the other.

The Horizon Bistro has a lighter feel, with more cafe style and bar seating, whereas the Horizon Court is all table seating...

Dave, Interestingly, the deck plan on the Princess website shows the Horizon Bistro aft of the Horizon Court on the Royal and therefore some confusion in my question. After your posts, I checked the Regal and her deck plan for Lido deck is apparently correct. The implementation of Crab Shack on the Grand class shops appears to be more effective in making it appear like a separate venue. It has been popular on the Grand. There were over 50 people one night on our 10 day and on the current Hawaii cruise ccrain has posted it has been essentially a sell out on the days it has been offered.

Edited by IECalCruiser

Brian,

When I ate at the Crab Shack it was pretty full yet not packed, but with so many other options on Royal Princess to eat at (and several of them complimentary) it may be harder to fill.

And you would think someone at Princess Cruises could get the deck plans correct after all this time. The ones shown for Royal Princess are indeed labeled incorrectly, the deck plans for Regal Princess are labelled correctly as shown below:

13621863413_8a9d7af444_b.jpg

Edited by dmwnc1959

I appreciate the great info posted and those wonderful pictures are amazing. This thread is terrific! Now to figure out how to get all that in in 10 days...:D

There are so many different options, even from a day to day basis in all of the different venues, the only way I could do it during the 14 days I was aboard Royal Princess was to not eat in the main dining rooms.

During the last few years on the B2B's I've done I have found myself eliminating the MDR as an option all together, and found that I don't miss it at all.

This may be an opportunity to eat at all of the complimentary casual dining venues, specialty restaurants, and eateries on Royal Princess and skip the MDR's. ;)

...And you would think someone at Princess Cruises could get the deck plans correct after all this time. The ones shown for Royal Princess are indeed labeled incorrectly, the deck plans for Regal Princess are labelled correctly...
That isn't the first time there has been incorrect information on the website.

The Horizon Bistro has a lighter feel, with more cafe style and bar seating, whereas the Horizon Court is all table seating.

Horizon Bistro stbd side looking forward towards Lido pool area

11509841085_48ecba9fa6_c.jpg

Horizon Bistro stbd side looking aft towards entrance to Horizon Court

11509876884_b6e0846b3f_c.jpg

Self service area at back end of Horizon Bistro

11509971883_513db7eba8_c.jpg

What drinks are complimentary throughout the day in the Horizon? Just go off the Eurodam and iced tea, fruit punch, and lemonade were always available. By this picture, that doesn't seem to be the case on Princess. Thanks!

What drinks are complimentary throughout the day in the Horizon? Just go off the Eurodam and iced tea, fruit punch, and lemonade were always available. By this picture, that doesn't seem to be the case on Princess. Thanks!

Water, tea, lemonade, coffee, Arnold Palmers - that's all I can think of.

In addition to the infamous hot regular and decaf coffee made from coffee syrup concentrate, iced tea (also from a concentrate), hot water and a selection of 8-10 tea bags varieties is available all day. There is a variety of juices available during breakfast (if you don't see what you want ask and they may have it in the back). There is also lemonade available at lunch (not sure about dinner). No fruit punch anywhere.

In addition to the infamous hot regular and decaf coffee made from coffee syrup concentrate…

I could be mistaken, but I believe the coffee in HC is made from freshly ground beans. Take a look at the coffee maker in the photo of the coffee area above. Looks like beans in the canister above the coffee maker.

Lew

I could be mistaken, but I believe the coffee in HC is made from freshly ground beans. Take a look at the coffee maker in the photo of the coffee area above. Looks like beans in the canister above the coffee maker.

Lew

I believe you are correct for the Royal. However, the original post by jmkennett was:

"By this picture, that doesn't seem to be the case on Princess. Thanks!"

I assumed that they were asking a general question about Princess ("the case on Princess"), not a specific question about the Royal.

I believe you are correct for the Royal. However, the original post by jmkennett was:

"By this picture, that doesn't seem to be the case on Princess. Thanks!"

I assumed that they were asking a general question about Princess ("the case on Princess"), not a specific question about the Royal.

I thought jmkennett was referencing the photo taken on the Royal. I guess you and I just understood the question differently. :)

Of course, your statement is correct for Princess in general.

Lew

I thought jmkennett was referencing the photo taken on the Royal. I guess you and I just understood the question differently. :)

Of course, your statement is correct for Princess in general.

Lew

My mistake. Princess in general, but by seeing this pic on the Royal, I could only see an iced tea machine. On HAL and Celebrity, the drink machines are larger. On the Eurodam there was always at least four choices of a cold drink. Always iced tea, lemonade, orange juice, then one of either fruit punch, grape, apple, or guava. It was nice to be able to get something other than lemonade or iced tea in the buffet, without having to go to the bar and get a soft drink or $3 non alcoholic fruit drink for the kids.

Edited by jmkennett

• 1 month later...
My mistake. Princess in general, but by seeing this pic on the Royal, I could only see an iced tea machine. On HAL and Celebrity, the drink machines are larger. On the Eurodam there was always at least four choices of a cold drink. Always iced tea, lemonade, orange juice, then one of either fruit punch, grape, apple, or guava. It was nice to be able to get something other than lemonade or iced tea in the buffet, without having to go to the bar and get a soft drink or $3 non alcoholic fruit drink for the kids.

At the Horizon Court I also asked for V8 juice and a glass of skim milk every day for breakfast.