Costa Serena Excursions: Rome, the classical city & Rome on your own

justpat

Hi All,

In May (2014) we (family of 3 adults) will be in our first Mediterranean Cruise. We did our homework checking the different options for excursions in Rome, we read the reviews, but as they weren't specific regarding the name of the tour, we are confused.

I've 2 questions regarding a tour:

In the Costa website, they have a excursion called 'ROME,THE CLASSICAL CITY'. This is the first part of the description => "We will depart from the port of Civitavecchia by bus and drive along the highway towards Rome, where our guide will be waiting for us. We will begin a beautiful panoramic bus tour admiring the Thermal baths of Caracalla and Circo Massimo. After leaving the bus we will begin on foot towards the Trevi Fountain before continuing towards Venice Square where we will be able to admire Il Vittoriano, the Column and Il Foro diTraiano along with the Senatorial Building. We will then continue towards the ruins of the Roman Forum (externally) before heading up to the Colosseum (external visit), the great amphitheater symbol of the eternity of the Roman civilization that could hold up to 80.000 spectators. In this area we will be able to admire the imposing Arco di Costantino, the last of the triumphal monuments of the classical age, erected in 315 in celebration of the victory of Costantino over Massenzio which took place close to the Milvio Bridge. After lunch, we will visit the Basilica of St. Peter which sits on the grave of the Saint himself who died in the II century"

Question 1 (items in red): I read in several reviews that the tour is bad and that for several attractions, like these ones, they just pass with the bus and that you are not allowed to leave the bus, just taking pictures from the interior of the bus. Is this true?

Question 2 (item in green) : regarding the lunch, several reviews mention a loooong (90 minutes or so) lunch. Is this true? If I'll be one day in Rome, I would rather prefer to enjoy the city instead of a gourmet lunch ;)

If anyone did this excursion or have information, I'd love some advice

Last question: we also saw the excursion "Rome on your own" and we are considering this option to get more freedom. In this case, arriving to Rome, we'll get the Hop On Hop Off bus. If we choose this option, how busy is the Vatican / Sistine Chapel? Are the lines too long? (day of the week: Tuesday)

Any information regarding these or other Rome topics will be more than welcome

Thank you in advance!

Pat

For specific feedback on this excursion you'll probably find people faster on the Costa forum.

The description seems pretty clear, you don't go in anything you just either drive or walk past the outside. I can't imagine why anyone would pay for this.

If you choose to go on your own, know that the Vatican Museums are always crowded. You should purchase your tickets in advance to avoid the lines: http://biglietteriamusei.vatican.va/musei/tickets/do?action=booking&step=4&aaaamm=20145&dd=7&numeroPartecipanti=1&codiceLinguaVisita=ENG

Hi All,

In May (2014) we (family of 3 adults) will be in our first Mediterranean Cruise. We did our homework checking the different options for excursions in Rome, we read the reviews, but as they weren't specific regarding the name of the tour, we are confused.

I've 2 questions regarding a tour:

In the Costa website, they have a excursion called 'ROME,THE CLASSICAL CITY'. This is the first part of the description => "We will depart from the port of Civitavecchia by bus and drive along the highway towards Rome, where our guide will be waiting for us. We will begin a beautiful panoramic bus tour admiring the Thermal baths of Caracalla and Circo Massimo. After leaving the bus we will begin on foot towards the Trevi Fountain before continuing towards Venice Square where we will be able to admire Il Vittoriano, the Column and Il Foro diTraiano along with the Senatorial Building. We will then continue towards the ruins of the Roman Forum (externally) before heading up to the Colosseum (external visit), the great amphitheater symbol of the eternity of the Roman civilization that could hold up to 80.000 spectators. In this area we will be able to admire the imposing Arco di Costantino, the last of the triumphal monuments of the classical age, erected in 315 in celebration of the victory of Costantino over Massenzio which took place close to the Milvio Bridge. After lunch, we will visit the Basilica of St. Peter which sits on the grave of the Saint himself who died in the II century"

Question 1 (items in red): I read in several reviews that the tour is bad and that for several attractions, like these ones, they just pass with the bus and that you are not allowed to leave the bus, just taking pictures from the interior of the bus. Is this true?

Question 2 (item in green) : regarding the lunch, several reviews mention a loooong (90 minutes or so) lunch. Is this true? If I'll be one day in Rome, I would rather prefer to enjoy the city instead of a gourmet lunch ;)

If anyone did this excursion or have information, I'd love some advice

Last question: we also saw the excursion "Rome on your own" and we are considering this option to get more freedom. In this case, arriving to Rome, we'll get the Hop On Hop Off bus. If we choose this option, how busy is the Vatican / Sistine Chapel? Are the lines too long? (day of the week: Tuesday)

Any information regarding these or other Rome topics will be more than welcome

Thank you in advance!

Pat

The tour doesn't appear to include the Sistine Chaper! The rest of the tour is good, perhaps there is just not enough time. Doing Rome on your own is possible, but probably takes up more time.

The Sistine Chapel is always busy, particularly in the high season of the Summer. May is still pretty busy. If you plan to do the Sistine, get tickets ahead of time or hire a tour that includes the Sistine.

Hi 4774Papa and thank for your answer!

As I stated, I just copied the first part of the description. As a matter of fact, the Vatican was the only segment of the excursion that was clearly described (independently of the spelling) :rolleyes:

"After lunch, we will visit the Basilica of St. Peter which sits on the grave of the Saint himself who died in the II century. You won't be disappointed with the richly decorated Basilica under its vast dome of Michelangelo. To the center of the aisle, above the altar on which only the Pope celebrates mass, we can admire the precious bronze canopy of Bernini. In front of the Basilica we will be able to take a photo stop along the splendid colonnade of the Bernini that surrounds the obelisk dipicting 150 horses and 47 capstand, devoted and erected in memory of the emperor of 1586."

Anyway, I think that we are going on our own.

Thank you again!

Pat

Hi 4774Papa and thank for your answer!

As I stated, I just copied the first part of the description. As a matter of fact, the Vatican was the only segment of the excursion that was clearly described (independently of the spelling) :rolleyes:

"After lunch, we will visit the Basilica of St. Peter which sits on the grave of the Saint himself who died in the II century. You won't be disappointed with the richly decorated Basilica under its vast dome of Michelangelo. To the center of the aisle, above the altar on which only the Pope celebrates mass, we can admire the precious bronze canopy of Bernini. In front of the Basilica we will be able to take a photo stop along the splendid colonnade of the Bernini that surrounds the obelisk dipicting 150 horses and 47 capstand, devoted and erected in memory of the emperor of 1586."

Anyway, I think that we are going on our own.

Thank you again!

Pat

As described, the above tour does not include the Vatican museum or the Sistine chapel, only the Basilica of St. Peter (i.e., the church).

The tour doesn't appear to include the Sistine Chaper! The rest of the tour is good, perhaps there is just not enough time. Doing Rome on your own is possible, but probably takes up more time.

The Sistine Chapel is always busy, particularly in the high season of the Summer. May is still pretty busy. If you plan to do the Sistine, get tickets ahead of time or hire a tour that includes the Sistine.

Just to help folks be informed, in order to visit the Sistine Chapel one must actually take a tour (or go on your own) through the Vatican Museums. When you do a Vatican Museum tour (or just go on your own) you have to actually walk through a pretty lengthy tour route before you get to the Sistine Chapel which is normally near the end of the tour. This is generally a multi-hour activity. St Peter's is actually a place you can visit without doing the Vatican Museum...which is why you will often see it on an itinerary.

Hank