Caribbean Princess W Caribbean formal nights!

Swappie

Hi all. Is a sports jacket for men REQUIRED in the MDR on formal nights or will a dress shirt and tie suffice? Thanks!

I have cruised Princess many times and only wear a nice dress shirt, tie, dress shoes and slacks on formal night and have never ever felt OUT OF PLACE and never turned away by any MD. Formal night is over-rated IMHO!! :cool:

I have cruised Princess many times and only wear a nice dress shirt, tie, dress shoes and slacks on formal night and have never ever felt OUT OF PLACE and never turned away by any MD. Formal night is over-rated IMHO!! :cool:

IYO!! But what about those around you? To each their own. Why not at least bring a jacket and dress for the occasion?

On our cruise we found many diners with and w/o. I wouldn't have felt ackward if I had just done shirt/tie.

Hi all. Is a sports jacket for men REQUIRED in the MDR on formal nights or will a dress shirt and tie suffice? Thanks!

I quit taking my blazer several years ago in the Caribbean. I would wear it in and then like many men put it on the back of my chair while seated. I would carry it in my arm on the way out. I finally decided that was bordering on lunacy so I have left at home since that time. I have never had a problem and certainly never have been alone in the MDR.

My reason for not taking a suit or sports jacket is a fiscal one.

The majority of the sailings I book require air travel. Depending on the airline, the per bag weight allowance is either 50 or 40 pounds. Sorry, but I refuse to fork over as much as a $100.00 excess baggage fee (in each of two directions) just so that I can have a jacket on during a formal night. A suit, tux or even a sport jacket add weight to luggage. And renting formal wear can be costly, too. I'd rather spend on other things.

Earlier in time, airlines did not charge for checked baggage. One could pack to their heart's content and never fear additional costs. Those days are over. And they ain't coming back. Airlines nickel-and-dime passengers at every opportunity (ever fly Spirit?). But that's another subject.

That said, I do not appear slovenly in the MDR, etc. on formal nights. I will have on a neatly pressed shirt, trousers (never shorts or jeans) with necktie.

If others choose to be offended by my dress, that is regrettable.

Edited by NJ Fred