Independence of the Seas - Review

We also just did this cruise-We did the luggage valet program We paid the $40-received our boarding passes the night before and our luggage was taken to the airport and we picked it up when we got home-No looking for your bags in that sea of bags-Also we got to just walk of the ship anytime after 8am-We left at about 7:55, Just ahead of all of the groups being called and it was a breeze. Well worth the money IMHO

Edited by CFD130

We also just did this cruise-We did the luggage valet program We paid the $40-received our boarding passes the night before and our luggage was taken to the airport and we picked it up when we got home-No looking for your bags in that sea of bags-Also we got to just walk of the ship anytime after 8am-We left at about 7:55, Just ahead of all of the groups being called and it was a breeze. Well worth the money IMHO

Can I ask what time was your flight? We have an 11:30 am flight and not sure we can use valet

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We just sailed the Indy 3/23/14 - 3/29/14 and WOW! What an awesome experience. The past few years we ventured out from RCI to see what else was out there (Disney, Carnival & Princess). We are LOYAL TO ROYAL! The food was great and the service was exceptional!

Day 1 was a little hectic as we had to drive a few hours to the port. One person in our party (that was already in Ft. Lauderdale at a hotel) forgot to pack an important item - Underwear! So we drove around for about an hour (it was early) to find a store that was open. We finally found a Target in West Palm Beach and then we were on our way. The port was very hectic as usual. DH dropped off myself and DD and headed out to find parking. The porter gave him the incorrect directions and he couldn't find parking anywhere. All the lots were either closed or full. A nice port employee heard me on the phone with my very frustrated DH and offered to help. He took my phone and gave him directions to the midport parking garage where he finally found a parking spot. He then had to wait for a shuttle. A bus pulled over and must of thought he was crew. The driver offered to take him off property and then drive him to the Indy. He said the van was full of crew members so he declined and waited patiently. A shuttle came about 5 minutes later and he finally arrived at the port.

We then headed in to check in. The security line moved very quickly. We had 3 - 1 liter bottles of Evian with us and 1 bottle of wine. They pulled DH over after x-ray machine and searched his bag. It was no problem but I think they were just checking to make sure he didn't have more than 1 bottle of wine. We then proceeded to the check in. They had separate lines for general passengers, gold, platinum, emerald, diamond etc.... We are gold so walked right up to an agent. It was about noon. We did not have to sit around - we boarded right away. Once we got on the ship we headed to our cabin and they stopped us on Deck 8 and said no cabins will be ready until 1:30pm. No worries! We did not want to deal with the crowd in the Windjammer so we went to Sorrentos for pizza and it was empty! Best choice ever! They also had panninis and small sandwiches.

LOL How can you forget to pack Underwear?:D

We were on the same cruise on March 1, 2014. Was one of the best cruises I have even been on. Loved the ports and the ship which was amazing. I would go on the Independence of the Seas again. We will be cruising on The Enchantment of the Seas in July.

Very nice! Is this in the solarium? Adults only? Enforced?

Thx!

It's one of the 2 giant Jacuzzi's on the Solarium deck. Never saw anyone under 21 near one of these. In fact...never had a problem using one any time any day.

...and they are big.

Independence has plenty for the under 18 crowd in terms of water activities onboard in the H2) Zone area...that there's little need for them to wander over to the adult areas. But yes...there are staff nearby...towels....etc...

• 3 months later...

Sorry about the late response. I have been reading your review and LOVE IT!!! Thanks for taking the time to do such a fantastic job! We sail Indy in February and this is saved on my computer until then so I can relive the pictures. Thanks again!

We used Park-n-go as well. Their rates were good and it only took about 15 minutes for a shuttle to pick us up to take us back to get our vehicle after the cruise.

One thing to mention. My van had lots and lots of small white dots on it (both on the glass and on the metal). I just thought it to be dirt, but after getting it washed, the dots are still there. It turns out that those dots are PAINT splatters. I do not know where they parked my vehicle for the week I was gone, but wherever it was parked, someone was painting nearby. I have managed to scrap of many of the paint dots with the edge of a credit card, but still have about a hundred more to get off. It has not wrecked the vehicle, but it leaves me questioning where they parked it where white paint would have been splattered all over it (very small fine dots).[/QU

I hate to hear about the paint splatter. If you have any left, the safe way to remove it is a clay bar that you can get at any auto parts store. Just be sure to wash the van before you start and keep the bar lubricated really well.