Your Lido Buffet "Creations"

MDR food customization hack:

I find the eggs overcooked when I order Eggs Benedict from the menu in the MDR, so I make my own by ordering English Muffin, poached eggs, a side order of ham (or salmon) and Hollandaise sauce on the side, and put it together myself.

• 3 weeks later...

I like the milkshakes but I would offer that I like to make ice cream floats with a coke. You just need a large cup, I grab a plastic pint glass from the pool bar.

While I've never had this, or been a fan of Guy's burgers, I thought this to be creative. One pepperoni pizza, then on top add 4 Guy's cheese burgers (no buns), on top of that add bacon and jalapeños and then run it through the pizza oven again with extra cheese. I wish I took a picture because it looked pretty incredible. The pizza chef was hesitant until a tip floated across the counter.

Something simple in MDR when you're "sick of everything" is to order the grilled chicken and ask for a side of honey mustard dressing. It goes well on baked potatoes too.

Smoked salmon from the deli on top of a caesar salad from the pizza stand. I also did this with chicken from the burrito place.

With a little planning, gouda cheese from MDR dessert menu, side of mushrooms from the steakhouse and side of broccoli from MDR, hand it all to the omelet chef for a really impressive omelet, I diced up the gouda and broccoli ahead of time and one time added some leftover filet mignon from the steakhouse.

In the MDR they used to serve a lamb dish that was not just braised in sauce so this may not longer be possible. But I would get the lamb and the indian vegetarian dish and mix it to make basically Rogan Josh. More recently I just ordered the grilled chicken and the indian vegetarian and mixed it which was also very good.

Ketchup, A1 steak sauce, sugar, splash of bourbon and splash of balsamic vinegar makes a good BBQ style sauce for the steaks served in the MDR if you don't mind looking like a mad scientist mixing things up at the table.

For ships with the Indian food, naan bread, spread some of the yogurt sauce also from the Indian food station and then get some sliced lamb from the buffet (or any sliced meat really) and add lettuce and tomato for a great gyro style sandwich. The trick is getting less crispy naan bread.

From Mongolian wok, beef, broccoli and teriyaki sauce, bring that to the deli and have them put that on a panini with american cheese. May require a tip and I would highly recommend drinking a Guinness with it.

Similar to the above, order of fried fish from the fish 'n chips and tarter sauce. I pulled it apart a little so there was less breading. Then I took that to the deli and had them make a panini with american cheese and ended up with a much better tasting filet of fish sandwich.

If you like a dagwood, get some coleslaw from the buffet and then ask the deli counter for turkey, ham, coleslaw and swiss cheese panini. (they have the wrong coleslaw for this at the deli)

There was one I did with getting some peanut butter at breakfast and then making a sauce with squeezed lime (from the bar) and malt vinegar from the fish 'n chips, then I put that on top of chicken and a glass noodle salad they had on the buffet. But I haven't seen that glass noodle salad in a while unless I just missed it on the past few cruises.

There's others that get more complicated and require more planning. It's a matter of getting leftovers from the MDR and knowing what the next buffet lunch will be and you can make some pretty incredible dishes. And yes, I love to cook and would love to go on the show Chopped. I wonder why they don't have a "chopped" style thing onboard, have to email John Heald...

I've done the milkshake idea but I add peanut butter to it. I use chocolate ice cream, half of the carton of milk, and 2 packs of the peanut butter. It's so good.

Hey! Couple of questions ...

1. where do you get "packets of peanut butter" ??

2. what cup do you use

3. what do you mix it with? seems it would be challenging with the peanut butter?

Thanks!

39 days till we leave on the PRIDE, and FIRST time trying GUYS, can't wait!

Cheers!

Jeff aka Recovery Dude :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Since they don't have teriyaki sauce as an option at Mongolian wok, ask for just soy sauce. The other sauces are too hot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The cook had me get some sugar packets and he made a "sweet sour" from it and soy sauce somehow. I agree other sauces too spicy.

• 3 weeks later...

French bread from the hot line or deli dipped into a bowl of olive oil and balsamic vinegar from the salad bar with oregano, dried garlic and chili flakes from the pizza station.

Edited by SadieN

My go to breakfast has always been Bagel, Cream Cheese, Ham Slices (usually two of the little slices), Hashbrowns all made into a sandwich. SOMETIMES I add some cheese omelette and/or couple slices of bacon. Can't wait till April, just something about this sandwich and sitting there looking over the water that makes me smile. We will be doing the milkshake thing on our cruise in April. Picking up a couple of the Tervis Tumblers this weekend. :)

• 1 month later...

Ginka ~ you rock!!! Thanks for the list!

1. It is a tradition to start my cruise with a chili cheese French fry burger.

2. I create a breakfast bowl at the buffet. Scrambled eggs (they are otherwise inedible), hash browns, crumbled sausage, grilled onions and peppers (from the sausage conconction), tomatoes, fresh pico, melted cheese, and salsa.

3. I like to make a nice salad and then got to the grill and add french fries and diced chicken to it. Here we call it a chicken salad and you can't beat it. You can also add steak instead of chicken or jus add both!

4. Crumble a brownie or a couple of chocolate chip cookies. That's easy, they're usually REALLY dry. Cut up a banana, keeping just the unbruised parts, like half. Bury them under a layer of vanilla ice cream. Also a couple of smashed up chocolate cookies under some vanilla ice cream was the BEST

5. I combined a delicious Deli sandwich with Guys Burgers Fries

6. get a large plastic cup from the bar, get ice cream and add milk from the milk pitcher at the coffee bar. Stir yourself up a milkshake with a fork..OR… do the milkshake too but with chocolate ice cream and chocolate milk! I also use the vanilla ice cream for flavored coffee creamer...yum

7. I like to do. First, I go to the soft serve ice cream machine and put some ice cream in my Tervis tumbler. Then I get a carton of milk from the buffet and pour some in, take a spoon, and mix up my own milkshake. It goes great with a burger and fries from Guy's Burgers

8. I got the Mongolian wok with all veggies, noodles etc and skipped the sauce (szewhan - ignore spelling please- was too hot, the others didn't appeal). I then got chicken fingers, cut them up and added them plus the honey mustard dipping sauce that comes with them into the Mongolian wok bowl after it was cooked.

9. I like to put the chipotle sauce from Guy's Burgers on my Blue Iguana burrito

10. I make croissant roll sandwiches, which the deli doesn't offer. I pick up a croissant roll, some deli meats, cheeses, vegetables (like at Subway), and honey mustard. Then I cut the roll into two horizontally, and fill it with the other ingredients. Sometimes I fill it with a chicken salad or whatever else I think goes well in a sandwich.

11. Half aBowl of grits, bacon crumbled, cheese omelette from omelette station, shred a croissant, add 1 pat of butter and black pepper, mix well,

12. We've really missed the roast beef since it's been discontinued from the deli. But now - the day we board - we get a slice of the carved roast beef from the buffet line and add it to the country roll, mayo, cheese with LTO from the deli. Voilà...a pretty tasty roast beef sandwich!

13. A bagel or english muffin, an egg, some bacon or sausage and a slice or two of cheese. Or get the croissant, put some cheese from the buffet and bacon from the guy, then a fresh fried egg or two for a great bfast sandwich.

14. from the outside grill, take some french fries, add some cheese, then go inside to the salad bar and add some bacon bits. You now have bacon and cheese fries.

15. do the milkshake too but with chocolate ice cream and chocolate milk! I also use the vanilla ice cream for flavored coffee creamer...yum!

16. I mix hot chocolate with coffee to make my own cafe "mocha".

17. I get a slice of pizza and then a burger without the bun from the buffet and cut the burger up over the pizza for a burger pizza. If it's during lunch, I drizzle a little ranch dressing over the top.

18. On ships that still have fish in chips as well as the Blue Iguana Grill, I've gotten fish, taken off the breading, and then headed down to the BI. Asked for tortillas (they'll give you about 4) and made my own fish tacos with all the condiments in the salsa bar, better than the fish they use at BI.

19. cookie & ice cream sandwhiches, or brownies with ice cream

20. Go to the late risers buffet, they also make omelettes there. Order a fried egg and get several pieces of bacon. Take that to the burger grill and order a burger. Pile it all together, mmmmm. A real narrow time window for this so you gotta be ready. Another thing I like is to order a burger with no meat. Slide down and pile several chicken strips on the bun. Great chicken sandwich with honey mustard.

21. do not like any of the sauces on the Mongolin? Wok. One of the cooks ask me to go get a packet of sugar and he would make me sweet and sour sauce. It was wonderful. Had it several times on the Splendor. Did on the Liberty this past October and will do it again September on the Liberty again. It is wonderful! He used the Raw Sugar packet and soy sauce to make this sweet and sour sauce

22. I take chick peas, kidney beans and possibly crispy noodles with raisins and sunflower seeds and mix it all together as a side dish at lunch

23. Take a bowl from the buffet and head over to guys topping bar...... get the really nice shredded lettuce from there and now go to Blue Iguana. They will add lots of shrimp or chicken .. or both!!!!! then toss in some peppers,tomato,onion,and finish with a couple of squirts of quacamole .... a low cal lunch that feels like cheating.... had one every chance I could get!!!

24. Root Beer or Orange Floats. Either bring the soda with you or get it onboard. Chili Cheese fries at the regular grill

25. get a croissant, a slice or two of tomato, a slice of cheese and have the omelette station fry an egg hard. I add my own packet of fat free miracle whip.....so yummy.

26. I like to get a bowl of vanilla soft serve and put pineapple salsa from the Tandoori on top....yum!

27. Fill a Tervis Tumbler about halfway with chocolate ice cream. Add about 1/2 cup of coffee. Pour in a couple sugar packets. Fill with ice and shake. Awesome iced mocha drink

28. we order 1 blt with extra bacon and 1 turkey sandwich with cheese, combine them and boom! turkey club sandwiches. Makes a large sandwich so we split it and order some chips on the side. delish!!!

29. don't like the powdered eggs from the buffet so I get two eggs over medium from the omelette station, then get a bagel or toast, the allotted two strips of bacon and then tomato and mayo and I make my own egg sandwich!

30. I find the scrambled eggs on Lido to be disgusting. I almost vomited just feeling them in my mouth, however, when I got a cheese omelet it wasn't as bad. I put my cheese omelet on a buttered croissant for breakfast and love it!

31. Create chicken club tacos as a Guy's/Blue Iguana crossover. Get chicken tacos from Blue Iguana and add pico and cheese. Then add bacon ranch and sautéed onions from Guy's topping bar

32. Between Going To The Grill And Salad Bar I Make Some Mean Nachos!(note: The chips are at the grill usually next to the cheese sauce and chili.) For Sea Days On The Ships That Do Not Have Guy Burgers, I Grab Bacon From Late Risers Breakfast And Slap On A Burger From The Grill With Cheese...Baboon Cheese Burger

33. Get the quantro (sp) cheese pizza and add bacon from Guy's condiment bar.

34. ) At the Grill, ask for a double cheeseburger, especially if they are just coming off the grill. I love cheese, but they just don't put enough in the omelets - so I head to the salad bar area at breakfast, and put the slices of cheese over my finished omelet. It melts in about a minute, and presto chango, melty cheesy omelet! Combine with croissants and excessive bacon (Tip - just keep asking the bacon police for more or tell them how many pieces you wish - and yes, i do wish 12!), and you have a breakfast fit for a king! At the Deli, you are only limited by your imagination - they will make you anything there, as long as they have the ingredients -- grilled cheese for the kids on the press, and anything on ciabatta for me, or a rueben subbing mayo for thousand island dressing are some of my favorites. And for dessert, ice cream cookie sandwiches (the soft serve doesn't tend to be cold enough to make this work as much as it does in my mind, but it tastes good just the same). Take two chocolate chip cookies, add soft serve in between them, and there you go!

35. Grab some pineapple and ham from the salad area and add them to your pizza.

36. Guy's Burgers- put ranch, chipotle mayo, bacon, and grilled onions on my fries

37. Maybe I'm weird, but when the omelet line is too long and I need to get off the ship for an excursion, I will get the scrambled eggs and add a container of cream cheese and add salsa and mix. I had something

38. I mix the vanilla soft serve ice cream with the lemonade. Great refreshing treat while I'm chillin' on deck.

39. Taco salad - use the shredded lettuce at guys; grilled chicken, pico and salsa at BI and head to the salad bar for tomato, black olives and shredded cheese. similar to this at a B & B in Taos

40. On one cruise I had a bottle of bon voyage Captain Morgans. I mixed it with pineapple juice, coconut milk, and vanilla ice cream. YUM!!

41. Get a bagel in the MDR with 3 sausage links and two eggs over medium. Wam bam you've got yourself an egg sammich

42. Have you made smoothies? Crush some fresh fruit then add yogurt, milk, and a smidge of ice cream

43. brown gravy is available either at Rotisserie or buffet, I get a small bowl of shredded cheese at salad bar, plate of french fries. Top fries with gravy then top with cheese. So good. Also for Room Service I get a Caesars salad and a shrimp salad sandwich (it comes open faced) and dump the shrimp salad into the Caesar. a lot less messy and very good. Breakfast, two pieces toast, hard fried egg from omelet station and a visit to the bacon police. Take it back to cabin and enjoy breakfast sandwich on balcony.

44. like to take the fresh fruit salad and mix it in a bowl with yogurt,then throw granola on top.

45. I like my eggs sunny side up,so I get them at the Omlet station. They also have some really good salami choices at the Omlet station that I like in my omelet with fresh veggies and provolone cheese.

46. On Sunshine they had an ice cream shake bar,we always added a shot of liquor,like Kahlua,or Baileys,Yummy!

47. mix the vanilla ice cream with the passion fruit juice and make a GREAT milkshake!

48. Hot chocolate + Mint Medley tea bag = Mint Hot Chocolate!

49. For those of us who love the Oreo cookie shakes: take your own cookies onboard, crumble a couple in the vanilla soft serve add a little milk and Bam - Oreo Cookie Shake. If you are health conscious add the frozen yogurt instead and get the same effect (almost). Any cookie will do if you just want a cookie shake.

50. Lemonade plus water=flavored water

51. On Splendor, at the Lido buffet cake table, they had 3 different dessert sauces: chocolate, caramel or strawberry.

52. First I would fill a bowl with the vanilla soft serve ice cream. Then choose one of the sauces and then crumble up the chocolate chip cookies on top. I could go for one of these sundaes now.

53. A hotdog on a bun from the grill. Add cheese sauce, cole slaw and top it off with crushed tortilla chips.

54. During breakfast I get a couple glasses of the passion fruit drink. Then later I will get me a glass of vanilla soft serve. Pour the juice over and enjoy. On one cruise the room steward kept throwing out the juice, thinking it was left over from breakfast, so now I hide it

55. Our family loves using the naan from the Indian restaurant as bread for sandwiches! We call them "naanwiches". So good! They are good with just about anything. Put in Chicken and Caesar salad for a Chicken Caesar wrap. Or chicken fingers and just about any sauce. Or get meat from the deli and make a traditional sandwich into a naanwich. Or, just put all your delicious Indian food inside and eat it that way!

56. Our little cousins also had fun with the basmati rice. They would mix that with other items from the Mongolian Wok, or just random stuff from the buffet. Or, since my hubby's family is from Hawaii, he once made a "Loco Moco" - bed of rice, hamburger patty, fried egg, all topped with brown gravy. I think it's disgusting, but he loves it! Try it on your Hawaiian cruise if you want to eat like a local.

57. On our last cruise on Conquest, I would get a bowl of grits from the buffet and add toppings from Blue Iguana's salsa bar and have Southwestern style grits

58. You could make a strawberry shortcake sundae: put crumbled up yellow cake (pound cake), vanilla soft serve, and strawberry sauce. or a banana split or a caramel banana sundae

59. put some of the morning juice (passionfruit? guava? something like that) in a bottle for later. Mix with the iced tea in the afternoon. Adds a little sweetness and flavour to the tea and makes it palatable to drink (much like mixing the iced tea half half with the lemonade

60. Last cruise we had to try a Double Meat with Cheese Pizza Burger.... A double meat from the grill and a slice of pizza added in it. Actually delicious

61. I fill a bowl with oatmeal, add granola, brown sugar, nuts, banana and cream ( from the coffee bar)

62. I've done the milkshake idea but I add peanut butter to it. I use chocolate ice cream, half of the carton of milk, and 2 packs of the peanut butter. It's so good. I've also gotten chicken tenders from the buffet and go to the deli and get a chicken tender sub. Also I've gone to guys topping bar gotten chopped bacon and the mushrooms and then get the rice from the buffet and get in line at the wok and mix those into my creations

63. Order the smoked salmon from Room service, with bagel and cream cheese. When it arrives take it to the lido deck, get real eggs from the omelet station and apply the egg, lox, capers and cream cheese to the bagel for a delish morning sammie. (Lox is on the Room Service and MDR breakfast menus and at the deli from 11a-11p).

64. I get a salad, heavy on the blue cheese, then get a burger, put the blue cheese on the burger, and have a blue cheese burger-you can do this in either order. I get a ham and swiss from the deli, get the sweet coleslaw and add that to the sandwich-if you are from north central NJ, this is known as a sloppy joe sandwich. On day one, I get a slice of roast beef from the carving station, and add it to a salad. yummmm. oh and of course the Arnold Palmer-tea and lemonade.

65. Lemonade + Vodka = Good Times. Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad on a slice of pizza (pull off most of the gooey mozzarella). MMMMMMM

66. Bacon sundaes! Bacon, "maple" syrup, and soft serve or bacon, caramel and/or fudge(if they have it) and soft serve. The sweet and salty flavors blend really well

67. love the smoked salmon from the deli window. Get a croisant and some tomato, onion and cream cheese and you are set

68. First, make iced coffee. Just fill the water/iced tea glasses all the way up with ice, then add coffee. The coffee gets cold pretty quickly. You can add cream or sugar if you like. I drank that several times. One morning I took a carton of chocolate milk and poured some of it into the iced coffee, to make a kind of iced mocha. I added more chocolate milk as I drank more of the coffee, so it was really chocolatey by the end. Another day I got grits and then took a slice of cheese from the meat and cheese display in the salad bar. I tore the cheese into pieces and stirred it into the grits with a pat of butter and salt and pepper to make pseudo cheese grits. Next time I'll make smaller pieces so the cheese melts more quickly.

69. Get a bowl of shredded lettuce, diced or sliced tomatoes and bacon or bacon bits with a side of mayo. Head over to the pizza station. Ask for a cheese pizza with no sauce. When it's ready add mayo first. Then lettuce, tomato and bacon for a yummy blt pizza.

70. Egg Salad Sandwich --Eggs from the salad bar, mayo and bread from the deli, mustard, salt and pepper from the tables.

71. In the MDR, I always ask for some peanut butter whenever I order a chocolate melting cake. Put a bit of peanut butter on your spoon for each bite of melting cake... results in a warm, melted Reese's cup! It's wonderful

72. Orange juice. Vanilla soft serve and vodka from our bon voyage bottle, ta da, adult dreamsickle.

73. bring nutella with us onboard. For breakfast we would grab 3 pancakes and a banana, we would place the nutella and sliced banana between each pancake. Holy goodness it is so yummy! Late nights my daughter would order pretzels and a banana from room service and just dip those into the nutella

Depending on the Pizza Chef-- bring over veggies from the salad bar for a green pepper (or whatever) pizza

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app